So I am choosing between these two interfaces, both cost exactly 100 bucks here so it's all down to how good they are. I have read some reviews and some people say the phantom power preamp is too weak and doesn't work well with condenser mics? I don't know if people are just incompetent or it really doesn't work well.

Mostly I just need it for DI recording guitar (using BIAS) but I also want to plug in and record some vocals with any mic I please. Any suggestions? Sorry if already asked, thanks a lot.
I own a 2i4 and it gets the job done. Im guessing the solo won't be too far off on the preamp abilities. I just finished tracking guitars and vocals for an original song with my metalcore project and it never fails to keep the workflow going. I go DI as well and use a Bluebird cardioid condenser mic to track vocals.
So speaking from a person using another Focusrite product, i'd say solo.
The pre's on the solo suck more than the other scarlett's, tho the m track mkII sucks pretty bad as well.

If you can't afford to spend anything more I'd go for the scarlett, but I'd much, much rather save up a bit more and get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture ex.
Veeery big improvement.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mackie, PreSonus...from what I know the M-Audio drivers suck, especially when you need low latency stuff, and the Scarlett Solo clips on most guitars when connected directly...so look at other brands...check back with us.
Whoa, thanks for the tips, I would expect a $100 soundcard to work extremly well, not just decent. Right now I have an old M-AUDIO Fast Track USB (the really old gray one), works really well but I miss the phantom power. So you guys say Presonus... I can get a used Presonus Audiobox USB 2x2 for 60 bucks, great deal? Also what's the deal with audio drivers, ASIO4ALL kicks ass on Windows 7 anyway.
Yeah $60 is a good deal and it's the best one you considered so fat.

ASIO4ALL isn't great really.
I have never had any problems with M-Audio drivers.
Their hardware sucks (some of it at least) sound-wise but the rest has always treated me right.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by chargerbandit
Whoa, thanks for the tips, I would expect a $100 soundcard to work extremly well, not just decent. Right now I have an old M-AUDIO Fast Track USB (the really old gray one), works really well but I miss the phantom power. So you guys say Presonus... I can get a used Presonus Audiobox USB 2x2 for 60 bucks, great deal? Also what's the deal with audio drivers, ASIO4ALL kicks ass on Windows 7 anyway.

ASIO4ALL is OK for audio cards with no dedicated drivers...I guess it could be tried on pro cards as well...probably for worse results. My ASIO4ALL used to lock up all the time when I tried to get it going with Edirol UA4FX card.
The Audiobox should be fine especially for $60. Make sure that you have some USB2 ports unless we're talking the new Audiobox. The older Audiobox had some issues on some machine's motherboards that didn't have USB2 ports. You can check on their site if you might be affected (usually it was on laptops - Sony and Samsung mostly, I think).
Okay awesome, I guess I'll go for the Audiobox... yes, I have plenty of USB2 and 3 ports, my computers are modern enough haha. Thanks for the tips, hopefully it will serve me well.