Im going to buy me a new guitar. I just want something not to expensive but having a great tone and a whammy bar is a must. One is the Mockingbird FR plus and the other is the PRS SE Standard. There are lots of great reveiws on the prs and i cant find many on the mockingbird but there alll pretty good. I like the looks of the mockingbird better but i kinda think the prs may be better quailty. I live in a very small town so there is no place to go try this 2 guitars out. The links are at the bottom. But what do you think is the best bet. Or do you know any other gutitars that might suit me. Really dont wanna spend over $500.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-mockingbird-plus-electric-guitar?rNtt=mockingbird%20fr%20plus&index=2

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PRS-ST24-LIST
I would avoid that mockingbird. PRS will be better in any way than that BC. Rich. At least those models.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^
I have to agree, the Mockingbird is the one BC Rich I want, but nothing under the NJ series is worth your time or money.

PRS SE guitars are solid for the price

Remember if you go used you can get a PRS SE custom 24/22 for $300-$350
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the guitar in the link isn't the model you mentioned. the neck thru version with all the controls is actually a pretty good guitar for the money. BC Rich has a new model out that features their new 83 pickups and again is neck thru (no floyd so if trem is a must then it's a no go) which will cost more but will be a nice guitar (haven't tried one yet but i've heard good things). as has been metnioned the higher end BC Rich guitars are the way to go and get little respect despite being good guitars.

agree that PRS SE guitars tend to be solid for the money and often are a bargain. one thing to keep in mind is that the necks on BC Rich tend to be fatter and wider than pretty much any PRS i've played. if that makes a difference to you then try before you buy
neck really doesnt matter to much but i do prefer a slimmer neck. And the bc rich i was looking at was a mickingbird fr plus
Quote by mattousley
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JAC-2916262X-LIST

or what do you think about a soloist?

probably a decent guitar, but I really hate that headstock shape on that Jackson. It should look like this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 11, 2015,
One thing to keep in mind is that Korean BC Richs are made by the same guys who make the more expensive Korean PRSs. The Jackson in turn is made by the same guys who make the Indonesian PRSs. Just to keep things in perspective before people start whining how BC Rich "sucks"--whatever that's supposed to mean.

That Mockingbird is on the lower spectrum. A Mockingbird ST would be more comparable. You've got three pretty different guitars there. I don't think you could go wrong with any on of them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the PRS shape, so I would go either with the BR Rich or the Jackson, although I agree that the SLAT headstock doesn't quite look right compared to the inline 6, which you can get on a Soloist SLX. BC Richs tend to be a good deal, a lot of guitar for the money compared to the competition.
Quote by dthmtl3
One thing to keep in mind is that Korean BC Richs are made by the same guys who make the more expensive Korean PRSs. The Jackson in turn is made by the same guys who make the Indonesian PRSs. Just to keep things in perspective before people start whining how BC Rich "sucks"--whatever that's supposed to mean.

That Mockingbird is on the lower spectrum. A Mockingbird ST would be more comparable. You've got three pretty different guitars there. I don't think you could go wrong with any on of them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the PRS shape, so I would go either with the BR Rich or the Jackson, although I agree that the SLAT headstock doesn't quite look right compared to the inline 6, which you can get on a Soloist SLX. BC Richs tend to be a good deal, a lot of guitar for the money compared to the competition.

totally agree. BC Rich has made some real effort to improve but still gets judged by early 90s bronze series guitars. i really like the ST but want one without the Floyd myself. really want to try out the new series for this year as well. do wish they had included an Eagle and a Bich but maybe they'll be added next year.
Theres the more expensvie one i like i think its the stq with floyd rose but it runs like $800 i think
Quote by mattousley
Theres the more expensvie one i like i think its the stq with floyd rose but it runs like $800 i think

they sell at GC for around $600 new but can be found used for a reasonable price.
Quote by mattousley

Yup, $600 at The Musicfarm as well, same price as the Jackson.
I got a BC Rich Mockingbird ST back in 2011/2012, as a Christmas present from my son...for all you haters, all I can say is that axe KICKS ALL ASS! (btw, this ain't my axe, but its a spot on representation of it...mine is full stock with no changes made...yet)

I love the overall feel...the balance is spot on, the sustain is insane, the 24 fret, ebony fretboard neck (it's a true neck through design, btw) is sleek enough to be faster than Hell wile still having enough girth to feel right in my Sasquatch hands, the pickups are Duncan Designed and sound great, and between the Varitone, the three micro toggles and the three way selector, there are SIXTY UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT TONES AVAILABLE AT THE FLIP OF A SWITCH! And, to top it all off, it is absolutely drop dead sleazy and sexy with its transparent blood red finish over that insanely highly quilted AAAA maple top with ebony stringers...it *still* makes me a little weak in the knees whenever I pull it out and think, "daaaaamn, this is MY axe!" It really grinds me raw whenever I see posts from "players" who think they have some inside knowledge on what a "great" guitar is, then systematically bash somebody's else's choice of guitar because they don't like the shape of the body, or the finish, or because Bobby Jo Bumblefukk doesn't play one. I've been playing for more than 40 years, have played everything from low buck crap axes to the finest instruments ever made, and I can say with no reservation that my BC is one damned fine guitar, it comes with an original Floyd Rose instead of the Strat style whammy on the PRS, and the ST's are available for right around 500 beans...a great deal for a whole lotta axe! On the other hand, PRS has a dynamite reputation for being high quality, finely crafted guitars...with luck, that reputation will follow through with the Korean, Indonesian, or Chinese axes (wherever they're getting them made nowadays). Dude, if you like the way the BC looks, feels and plays, then GET IT! I *do* however recommend playing both guitars before you plunk down your hard earned cash...buying a guitar without playing it first is like buying a car without taking it out for a test drive. You *have* to play it first or you'll be the only one to blame if it doesn't meet your needs! Good luck with your search, and may the gods of shred make your choice easy and help you find an axe that'll stay by your side for many years to come! ROCK ON BROTHER!!!