I have a new Allparts neck for a project and today I noticed that the sort of goldish shiney color started flaking and revealing the nickel like fretwire underneath.

Big shitty cellphone picture:

I honestly do not care aesthetically. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's some sort of protective layer and the fretwire will rust, or it will affect the sound or something. The flaking will get worse when the project is finished and I'll start bending strings.

Anyone with experience about this?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
yeah, send it back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The thing is I bought from a local seller in the Netherlands, and brought it with me to the UK. As said, I don't mind as long it has no negative consequenses. Is there any way to rub that coating off without damaging the coating on the maple?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
i wonder if they put finish over the frets. i've seen that one done before.
Quote by ad_works
i wonder if they put finish over the frets. i've seen that one done before.

Looks like it...
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Don't send it back, it's almost certainly just that the frets were finished over. Warmoth do the same thing, with the expectation that someone putting a guitar together can get it off without any trouble. I can't imagine it bonds to the metal very well.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
How can I get it off without ruining the laquer?
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I think you're expected to level the frets, which obviously accomplishes that goal as part of the process. I'm not a tech though, so...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
if it is indeed finish (it probably is, as i did the same thing to my first scratch build 30 years ago) you can mask off the fretboard surrounding the frets and the neck wood at the ends with painters blue tape or stew mac's fancy fretboard protectors. using a dremel and the small 1" dia. round wire wheel that comes with the standard kit, you can remove the finish pretty quickly. i suggest using a slow to moderate rpm, no more then the 3rd notch on the speed control. lightest pressure, make no heat, let the wheel do the work. detail the areas the the wheel didn't reach with a standard razor using a scraping motion.

do not use any "chemistry" (acetone, paint stripper, navel jelly, moonshine, gun cleaner, wd40, etc..) you will destroy the fretboard and possibly the neck.

the lightest possible leveling may be needed on a new neck. it really depends upon how good it is though. but leveling only concerns a small area on the direct top of the fret not the entire fret itself. that work is called crowning and is only needed if a significant amount of material has been removed from the fret during a repair/reconditioning leveling -enough that it has lost it "round" or "crown" geometry. specialized files are needed for that work.

but that's not the case here. you have finish on the frets so remove it, have it removed, or return the neck.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 11, 2015,
All maple fretboards are finished (either poly or nitro), and the frets are usually hosed over as well. And every newb asks the same question when the finish begins to flake off the frets.

Best way to deal with this is to pick up a couple of StewMac (or similar) stainless fretboard protectors. Put them over the fretboard while you polish that finish off the fret (brass wool, dremel with a wire wheel. Job done. It's sort of a rite of passage for strat owners.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 12, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I think you're expected to level the frets, which obviously accomplishes that goal as part of the process. I'm not a tech though, so...

The frets are usually already leveled; it's just finish.
Thanks, dspellman! Will buy some protectors and brass wool
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by diabolical
Paint masking tape should protect the frets just as good as long as you don't lean heavy on it.

It does.

I like the stainless fret protectors for when I get ham-fisted
Quote by Tony Done
I'm cheap, I make protectors from aluminium drink can, which can be cut with scissors.

He can get about 25 from a big frosty.

I suggest that you drink the frosty FIRST and *then* start cutting the protectors out with scissors...
^^^^ Being sterotypically Australian, I use VB cans, I find the green colour restful. I have, in fact also got a small collection of those Stewmac ones, and some of their abrasive rubbers that would do the job. Being cheap again, I think that an ordinary ink rubber might serve if you can still get them.
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ Being sterotypically Australian, I use VB cans, I find the green colour restful.

Do you have to drink the awful 'green death' though or just use the can? ;-)
Quote by dspellman
Sorry, I lied. It's BRONZE wool (buy the 0000 size), and you can pick it up on Amazon or at a marine (boating) supply.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bronze+wool+0000&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3480307151&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_w0hi5j8ru_e

Should I get the one with "Fine" on the package? 'Cause I don't see the mentioning of 000 anywhere, also not on Google.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Should I get the one with "Fine" on the package? 'Cause I don't see the mentioning of 000 anywhere, also not on Google.

Yeah, that will work well. Bronze wool generally does not scratch metal (as does steel wool) nor does it leave traces of itself in wood (as does steel wool), nor does it shed anywhere near as much as steel wool, nor is it magnetic (steel wool is attracted to your coil wire because there's a magnet behind/beneath it).
Looks like I have to import it from the US, that's expensive.... Anywhere in the UK where I can buy this? I know it's on Amazon, but that the US stuff at a high price (>10GBP).

EDIT: What about this stuff?
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Aug 14, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
nor is it magnetic .

not entirely true unfortunately. many bronze alloys contain iron which is magnetic. magnetic permeability of bronze (in general) is around 1.27 or so with baseline (earth) being 1.0. i suggest you tape up your pickups if you're going to use it and clean up real well before you remove the tape if the neck is attached to the guitar.

if you want to use scrubby media, use a scotch brite pad #7448 lt grey. this will work.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 14, 2015,
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Looks like I have to import it from the US, that's expensive.... Anywhere in the UK where I can buy this? I know it's on Amazon, but that the US stuff at a high price (>10GBP).

EDIT: What about this stuff?

i'm familiar with mirka. i suggest the fine stuff if this what you want to use.
Quote by ad_works
i'm familiar with mirka. i suggest the fine stuff if this what you want to use.

Thanks for the advice. Will it leave the rest of the guitar undamaged?
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Thanks for the advice. Will it leave the rest of the guitar undamaged?

is you neck un-attached? if not just take it off. it makes certain neck work much easier. tape off the areas you don't want to touch with the pads, tear off a little piece, roll it up, and remove the finish from the frets moving along their length. easy work.
Quote by ad_works
is you neck un-attached? if not just take it off. it makes certain neck work much easier. tape off the areas you don't want to touch with the pads, tear off a little piece, roll it up, and remove the finish from the frets moving along their length. easy work.

The guitar has not been put together yet. Thanks
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Tony Done
It looks like finish over the frets to me, no big deal IMO. As suggested, I would clean it off, using fret protectors. I'm cheap, I make protectors from aluminium drink can, which can be cut with scissors.

This works too.

Double ply paint masking tape works too and you can dress all the wood between the frets with it in one sweep so you can just move up and down at your convenience. I think sandpaper should also work in this instance?