Hello, guys!

I'm in a situation where I don't really know what I should do, so I thought I'd hear some suggestions from you guys. I know an online forum of strangers isn't the best place to go (waiting for this to be a quote/response), but I just need to vent about something. Sorry about the long post.

Anyways, let's go back to around March of this year. My family and I have planned a trip to Disney, and I paid for my share of the trip. At this point in time, I was just finishing up my last semester of college before graduating with my Associates.

I was still looking for post-college employment, and luckily at the ass end of April, a CD/DVD manufacturing company came to my school looking for Technicians. I had an interview, graduated college, and was set to start June 1st.

The job was pretty decent. For my training period (90 days, but it's going to take longer), I am on 7-3:30pm, Monday through Friday before going to a Flex schedule on nights. The Flex would be 3x 12 hour days with a half day (either 4 or 6 hours) to get my full 40 hours. It would eventually go to a 4x4 during the busy season.

On May 28th, I had orientation for the job. At the orientation, one of the women that worked there was speaking about benefits, vacation, etc. During which, she said "We understand that you guys had a life before here, and if you have anything planned, we'll approve it. Whether you're going to a wedding or on a trip to Cancun in October, just give us the dates in advanced and we'll let you go. The only bummer is that you won't get paid." I thought I was good and in the clear.

On day 1, my manager was catching me up on everything about the training program, and while he had in on his mind, we went up to HR so we could take a (saliva) drug test (which I passed). While I was there, I spoke with the HR manager about the vacation, and she seemed a bit uncertain and gave me a roundabout answer of "Well, you should speak to your manager about it."

I spoke to my manager that day, gave him the dates I needed off (November 14-20) as he asked, and waited for the word. I asked him if he heard anything a week later, and he said "Yeah, I'm sorry, but they can't approve it."

So, I get ****ed in the ass there. After noticing some of the memos, they are expecting high stakes during this busy season (due to pressing first-party Xbox games and CD work) of mid-August to mid-December, and they were advising against extended vacations during that time. They were only considering a 2/3 day vacation due to the high chance of mandated overtime on at least 2 of your days off. Either way, I thought I'd take the hit even though I was told that a pre-planned vacation would be okay.

This was back at the beginning of June, and I was still getting a feel for the job. It's okay, but not somewhere I see myself long-term. So far, everyone keeps saying that they're going to get more work soon, yet they haven't gotten as busy as they'd planned. There are days during my training where they shut some molding sections (where they make the discs) down so the printing and packaging people can catch up.

Now, why did I post this blog-post rant of a thread? As I was clocking out today, I saw another memo today that had a posted date of July 30th. The memo read "We will be moving from the 4x4 schedule back to the Flex schedule during the first week of November."

They got me pretty pissed off. They said that they're busy season would last until mid-December, yet they're going to transition to a shorter schedule a month before hand? And to make it even more infuriating, they do it a week before the one I requested off?

Personally, it seems like that is poor management. Not only on promising new hires they're pre-planned vacations would be off, but also as poor time management for their business.

TL;DR --> Company says pre-planned vacation would be fine, declines it because it's during busy season, and then puts up a memo 2 weeks ago saying they'll be going to a shorter work week mid-busy season.

Again, I am sorry for making everyone read through that. I just thought I'd get some opinions on what I should do about this. I have never been in a situation like this before. Thanks!
Skip the username, call me Billy
You might want to start looking at other jobs on the side. If you can get confirmation that you'll be in a different job (that would let you have your holiday) quit the current, get the new

otherwise blast the whole everything with microwaves so all the CD's chatter. Also everything would catch fire. but still, shattering CD's
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Thankfully, I am still working my other job on Saturdays during my training. Albeit, it's a deli job in a grocery store making half of what I make at this job, it's something. At least at my part-time job, they work with you a bit.

As I see it, if worst comes to worst, I go back to my part-time job (hopefully I can become full-time) while I look for another job in my field as an Electronics Tech. Either way, I am planning on going back to school in Fall 2016, and I can pretty much get my current student loans paid off by then.
I've had similar experiences with completely incompetent companies
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Take hostages and kill one an hour until they agree to your demands.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If I were in your shoes I would most likely begin looking at other jobs and get the wheels turning on quitting, assuming you don't absolutely need the money. Incompetence that high up the ladder is something I wouldn't want to be a part of, especially if it's getting in the way of me spending time with family.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
If I were in your shoes I would most likely begin looking at other jobs and get the wheels turning on quitting, assuming you don't absolutely need the money. Incompetence that high up the ladder is something I wouldn't want to be a part of, especially if it's getting in the way of me spending time with family.

Yeah, that's the thing. They promise one thing, say no, change their minds like no tomorrow, and practically everyone else I've spoken to/worked with seems to not be very happy with working there. Practically all of the people there have been there for 20 years due to a massive layoff back in 2008 (2009?).

So far, it seems like it's poorly managed and misguided. The one tech I was training with said the reason for the huge layoff was the fact that Warner Video up and left despite being there for 30 years and investing tons of money into that plant. He said that they still don't know the full story lol. Plus, during the slow seasons (January through June-ish) of the last few years, the employees pretty much take rotational, mandatory lay-offs.

As for working, I'd be fine with the work load, but the fact that there is incompetence and wishy-washy behavior, who knows how it could turn out.

So far, my part-time job only pays me $8.50/hour. They (the part-time job) has been a pretty good company to work for, and I know I could probably get full-time if I asked about it even if it's a temporary thing.
Jesus. Yeah I wouldn't put in anymore time with that shit company. Why work hard and invest yourself into developing a reliable reputation with an employer if they aren't even reliable themselves management is never infallible, and can make pretty bumfuck stupid mistakes. I recently found out a company I was partnered with at one point had higher ups actually doing cocaine in their offices, which explained quite well why they were blowing millions of dollars on ridiculous projects that never made any of the money back.

Definitely pursue full time with your other job until you can find a better place to work for, for the better pay.
Yeah, I mean, I want to develop myself further, but at a misled company that is poorly managed and everyone there hates working there? Yeah, people are cynical of their jobs, but that miserable, no?

Besides, as I said, I plan on going back to school to get my Bachelor's for Engineering in Fall 2016. If that means working full-time in a job not related to my field in the mean time that I am actually happy with, what's the problem?
If there is a problem, I don't see it. Sounds like you've got your answer
Quote by Baby Joel
You might want to start looking at other jobs on the side. If you can get confirmation that you'll be in a different job (that would let you have your holiday) quit the current, get the new

otherwise blast the whole everything with microwaves so all the CD's chatter. Also everything would catch fire. but still, shattering CD's

you should always be looking for other jobs. never be stagnant
Thanks guys, especially Clash for helping me out. I just had to vent a little bit and get some steam off about what I've witnessed.

As for quitting, I am going to wait off a little bit. I was going to wait for the end of my training period to quit. From what I've been told, it is at least 90 days (13 weeks, or 2 weeks from now), and the possibility of it being a few weeks longer. Personally, I see it as being longer because the other new tech that I've been working (who started 2 weeks before I did) doesn't know what night shift he is going to, yet. So, if I'm correct, I will have at least another 3 or 4 weeks working there, and another 2-ish weeks before I give my notice.

Thanks, again!
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Thanks guys, especially Clash for helping me out

woah ok i feel the love

just gave good advice, that genghis improved, and neither of us get special mentioning?

ugh
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'm sorry, but your contention just comes across as petty. If I understand correctly, this is your first "real" job right?

First, you already made somewhat of a mistake by requesting a vacation at the very start of your employment. Yeah yea yea, their "policy" states that you can begin requesting right away, etc etc. But they don't mean it. No one means it. When you take advantage of that, it says something about you to them...not good things.

The management might suck and I seriously question the viability of an enterprise built around an already obsolete technology. But the bottom line is the same... as long as you're an employee subject to an employer, they're really not obligated to give you anything not covered by federal and state work protections. They can state that they offer vacation policies, but they're not working around you. They pay you...you work around them.

Yes, it sucks that you already paid for your trip, but that has no bearing on the current situation. Your complaint touches on a painful stereotype of "entitled millennials." So you might miss out on a trip this one time, so what? Make money, save up, and go on bigger better trips down the road.

Again, if this is your first real job, you should be grateful that any entity decided to take a chance with you at all. It can be very expensive to onboard a new employee. This is not the time for you to be going "me me me!" This is the time for you to prove that you actually have some worth and value. This job sucks? Do the shit out of it and have something to show when you're at your next interview for a better job. Hate being a subordinate or employee and not have the vacations you want? Then form your own business. Can't yet or ever? Then suck it up.

Edit:

All this talk about quitting is just terrible advice. Most opportunities for formal employment is an advantage to YOU. It does not matter whether it's shitty or great. The opportunity for you to list a substantive employment experience on your resume should not be one to throw away. If you quit early, you might as well not list it at all, because if you do, any competent hiring manager is going to see a red flag ("left after 3-6 months? I don't trust that he'll stick around"). Don't waste the time you've already invested.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 11, 2015,
Welcome to the bottom. It’s a crappy place to be, but you have to suck it up and start somewhere. What you don‘t need is to leave the job right away, because if future potential employers find out you only stayed a few weeks they’ll pass on your resume. Put up with the shit for a year, spend your free time learning skills that will help you get a better job, and move on. At work just shut up, keep your head down, and do your job. If the people you work for really are incompetent then study them and learn what to not do yourself in the future.
welcome to the professional world bud, sure makes you miss college right? the way I see it you got 2 choices ... one either gain as much exp as you can (and suffer a bit in the process) and then look for a better opportunity or go for higher studies (an MBA for ex).
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
uhhhh, have you tried asking about your vacation since the adjustment?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
work sucks at most places where you start off, especially when it comes to taking vacation time. just ask yourself this:

- do I have ready employment at a place where I know, for sure, that I prefer the management?

if you answer no (which is probably the case), stick around until you have a year's experience and then consider leaving so that you have at least 1 year somewhere to put on your resume

if you answer yes, does that place look better on your resume?
yes - cool, this is a good move. apply
no - the step down may not be worth it in the long run if it can't get you out of a later hole when you decide you have outgrown a job. working for a few years in places that suck really can pay off if it brings you closer to a place you want to work.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

That place sounds shitty and exploitative. IMO, start looking for work somewhere else. A lot of places are like that. They're structured around burning through people so they can keep wages low and unions out. I guarantee the owners and executives turn around and sell themselves as "flexible" and "nimble" manufacturing because they aren't afraid to shit on employees at the drop of a hat. Those kind of firms exist to squeeze as much profit out of workers as possible and kick them to the curb when they can't do it anymore. Start making plans to run far, far away. They'll probably end up packing up and moving to Mexico anyway.
Hey, thanks for all of the advice from different stances. I really do appreciate it, guys!

Quote by Hail
uhhhh, have you tried asking about your vacation since the adjustment?

Well, I only just seen the notice about the adjustment by the time clock (that I usually punch out at) yesterday. The thing is, I am getting myself pretty anxious about even saying anything.

What do I say? Do I just talk to the HR manager, tell her about how my vacation was declined, and what the deal is with the adjustment? Personally, I don't know what to do.
^ That is a good place to start, definitely.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Talk to them about the vacation time. Yeah, the job may suck, but at least it'll pay you more and it'll give you experience for a different job once you find it that will be similar. Questions never hurt. It's not doing your job that does.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
FWIW, I would generally agree with a lot of what Xiaoxi said in his post Doing the shit out of your job is obviously what you ought to do no matter what, up until your last day working at this place you should be giving it your all.

It doesn't sound at all like you're a bad or lazy employee that doesn't want to do the work, and you don't strike me as someone who's whining about having to deal with "the real world." The vacation thing isn't really a big deal to me on its own, but combine that with poor morale among all your coworkers, cyclical layoffs, and overall dodgy management makes me go "I wouldn't deal with this." Whether you stick this job out until you go back to school for the experience/money or decide to quit so you can go for more of a full time set up with your other gig, I think you'll be just fine.
You will suffer from a poorly managed company. This is a red flag. Deal with it or move your butt to elsewhere.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Quote by aerosmithfan95
Hey, thanks for all of the advice from different stances. I really do appreciate it, guys!

Well, I only just seen the notice about the adjustment by the time clock (that I usually punch out at) yesterday. The thing is, I am getting myself pretty anxious about even saying anything.

What do I say? Do I just talk to the HR manager, tell her about how my vacation was declined, and what the deal is with the adjustment? Personally, I don't know what to do.

You start with your supervisor, and simply and politely lay out the situation. Say you understood not getting approved when it was projected to be busy, but now that that has changed, you would like them to reconsider your request.

Worst thing you can do is freak out, demand or act pissed off. It won't do you any good at all and it certainly won't make them want to help you.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin