I have a 1st Gen. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12. Looking to buy a new speaker tonight, but I need some input.

Ive heard the Cannabis Rex really compliments the amp well. Ive heard the same about V30, Jensens ect. Looking for something that would be good for cleans since I'm using a pedal for my overdrive. Also Im playing a Gibson Les Paul through it. Don't want the amp to end up sounding as dark as it does now. I play mostly clean, jazz, blues, lightly overdriven tones. Also bought a set of JJs for it.

Let me know what y'all think. Thanks Jon
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
I think Cannabis is darker than stock but good for Blues/Carlton tone, and a V30 is bolder and brighter. I tried a few different speakers in my HRD but went back to the stock one. It was a Fender/Emi and really pretty nice. A V30 is in my Mesa and it is a perfect match to the amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 12, 2015,
I haven't ever cared for V30's with fender amps.

Weber may be worth a look, as well as WGS.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For what you want, absolutely do not get the V30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha alright. has anyone ever swapped out speakers on a Hot Rod?
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by jon_six

Yes, Jensen C12K, Jensen P12N, and Emi Private Jack. The other ones sounded pretty good but I liked the stock speaker best.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ Yeah the stock speaker is more or less an emi legend 1258, isn't it? if so, it's a nice speaker. Sounds pretty fendery for nice sparkly cleans, but also has a pretty decent OD tone. Whereas the Jensens generally (I think) have awesome cleans but iffy OD.

Quote by jon_six

nope but there was a special edition HRD a while back which came stock with a V30. I didn't get to try it head to head with the regular HRD, but (from memory, so probably treat it with a pinch of salt) it improved the OD channel a fair bit (but still only mediocre overall, since in stock form the OD channel is abysmal) but killed the cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 12, 2015,