Hi all,

I am putting just the brands in the title because really I am stuck between two exact similar guitars: Ibanez ARZIR20 and LTD EC-1000s

Both are mahogany, EMGs, set neck, and even price... so it is just now a matter of a brand. In addition to the make... the ARZ is made in China while the EC is Korean. However, I read many reviews saying that Chinese Ibanez is not bad at all.

Appreciate your thoughts...
From experience:

Go for the LTD. I've had bad luck with the Iron Labels.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go with the LTD also. I happen to prefer Seymour Duncan pickups to EMGs. It's very close though. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
The only differences I really see are the scale length LTD has 24.75", Ibanez states a 25" The LTD has the tonepros locking bridge. The Ibanez doesn't specify (just says Tune-O-Matic).
The Tonepros bridge is pretty solid in my experience, and I can't imagine the extra .25" on scale length would help detuning all that much.
I would get the LTD.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I am an ESP LTD guy, can't really say the Ibanez is bad ... but the ESP looks cooler (to me anyway).
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Go with the LTD. I just bought one and put an ESO Strap on it. Pure bliss...
Thanks all...

I went yesterday to ESP dealer in Cairo and lucky me.. I tried the EC-1000S with EMGs.. the guitar feels and sounds great but 2 notes which I need your thoughts about
1. The action is too high comparing to Jackson Rhoads or even Ibanez RG standard. Is this normal to this model or it just needs to be adjusted? Should it have been adjusted already by QA ?
2. The middle position (2 HH together) is controlled by 1 volume pot which if turned to zero, no sound even if the other pot is at max. Is this normal ? I used to have totally independent volumes at middle position in my Jackson
almost all guitars that come from the factory have high action (no idea why). get it adjusted at the shop itself or maybe you can do it yourself when u get home.
as far as i know the EC-1000 has 2 volume knobs and in the middle position both pickups should work.
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Quote by AiC
almost all guitars that come from the factory have high action (no idea why). get it adjusted at the shop itself or maybe you can do it yourself when u get home.
as far as i know the EC-1000 has 2 volume knobs and in the middle position both pickups should work.

Both pickups are working but in a master/slave mode. If I set both volumes to max I can hear both pickups but say when I put volume A to zero while B remains in max, I can hear pickup B alone but when I turn volume B to zero, all sound is zero although volume A is still on max. Got it?
i understand wht you are saying. but i am not sure if it's an issue. maybe you can try another guitar and see if it is working in the same way.
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Quote by mockbel
Both pickups are working but in a master/slave mode. If I set both volumes to max I can hear both pickups but say when I put volume A to zero while B remains in max, I can hear pickup B alone but when I turn volume B to zero, all sound is zero although volume A is still on max. Got it?

This is normal. Think about it. You have selected to use both pickups but one pickup volume is off. Why select both pickups then?

If you have any non-zero volume it blends the pickups.

You can actually use this as a killswitch setup by keeping the pickup you are not using on zero. Flip the selector switch and no sound.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
This is normal. Think about it. You have selected to use both pickups but one pickup volume is off. Why select both pickups then?

If you have any non-zero volume it blends the pickups.

You can actually use this as a killswitch setup by keeping the pickup you are not using on zero. Flip the selector switch and no sound.

Makes sense... However, my Jackson used to have totally independent volumes regardless to the position... in all cases.. it is really very very rare for me to use the middle position in any guitar...

So at the end guys... you are recommending the EC-1000 over the Ibanez ARZ series ???
Quote by mockbel
Thanks all...

I went yesterday to ESP dealer in Cairo and lucky me.. I tried the EC-1000S with EMGs.. the guitar feels and sounds great but 2 notes which I need your thoughts about
1. The action is too high comparing to Jackson Rhoads or even Ibanez RG standard. Is this normal to this model or it just needs to be adjusted? Should it have been adjusted already by QA ?
2. The middle position (2 HH together) is controlled by 1 volume pot which if turned to zero, no sound even if the other pot is at max. Is this normal ? I used to have totally independent volumes at middle position in my Jackson

Yeah, the action will need adjusting. Most guitars seem to need it. Even my Edwards, which is theoretically a step up from LTD. Same with every guitar I've ever bought. Only top level guitars seem to come properly setup from the factory. It is a bit weird.

That is a strange middle position. A bit pointless in my opinion, too. I'd rewire it if I had a guitar like that, though I don't really use the middle position anyway to be honest.
Quote by AiC

Yeah, the action will need adjusting. Most guitars seem to need it. Even my Edwards, which is theoretically a step up from LTD. Same with every guitar I've ever bought. Only top level guitars seem to come properly setup from the factory. It is a bit weird.

You can mix which pickup has the greatest effect in the middle position by playing with the volume knobs. If you only wanted one volume, you could rewire it to have that and put a killswitch or something in instead.