So lately, I've been analyzing my playing and I realized that although I try to relax as much as I could when I play leads (as many here recommended), I always seem to "tense up" when I play rock chords -- not galloping, or soft acoustic chords, but big, loud rock chords a la AC/DC. It's not as much seizing of the arm muscles as bracing my picking *hand* to play harder and louder.

Would you recommend that I change this?
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I wouldn't, not if it isn't causing any pain or damage. Tensing the hand allows for louder and more characteristic rock chords, and dynamic variation (something many guitarists are terrible at it would seem).

Also void what I say if it does cause pain or damage.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
It doesn't.

It puts more of a show, too.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
you're gonna have tension, it's inevitable. as long as you can control and disperse that tension, you're fine. if you're playing long, sustained chords, half a second of tensing to strum isn't gonna hurt anything.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Thanks, guys.
Gear: