The piano part at the start is a bit confusing, I feel like you're not a keyboard player? There are definitely some weird things going on there, and not in the deliberate proggy way. Bass tone isn't the best, I feel like it's a bit too honky and maybe a bit too "in your face". A bit of reverb maybe? Crunch tones from the guitar feel a bit crude as well, you have a lot of work to do production wise, it all sounds rather unprofessional.

The composition itself was a bit bland in the start after the three minute mark it got pretty cool. Definitely stronger towards the end.

I think you should study piano composition a bit more to make the keyboard parts sound better, and try to refine the bass and guitar tones to get something smoother and more natural. It was also pretty short for a prog song, but I think you had cool ideas. Just get the production up to scratch.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Thank you for the review! I am aware of the production problems, the fact is i have never had experience (or interest for that matter) in mixing and mastering. It is true that i just bought a keyboard a month ago, i still thought the beginning of the song was quite understandable, however unusual the chords may be. I also agree that the end is the strongest part, that's the sounding i would want to go on with, but could you explain what exactly makes you think it's bland? I know that some changes from verse to chorus are a bit awkward, and that lack of vocals is a serious downer, but do you have anything to add?

Also, i don't think a prog song is required to be long? I mean sure they tend to get lenghty sometimes, but i'm pretty sure it isn't expected.
Frankly, I've seen Kevätuhri comment hear on another post and criticizing the voicing in the piano/keyboard, and I actually felt that both here and in the other person's composition the piano part mostly sounded good and made sense to my ears. I only play very little piano (haven't touched the upright I've bought several years ago in a while, but I was thinking of getting a more practical MIDI keyboard if I'll find something with good reviews and a reasonable price), but I listen to classical music and piano pieces here and there and I can't say that the part in this "sounded wrong" or anything; it is what it is (and I don't even think it matters whether you've specifically studied piano or not, as voicing applies to instrumentation in general). It is kind of "strange", but I think it makes it sound cool.

Now, I do think the production and recording overall is not the best. I feel like the bass/drums and the piano don't sync perfectly. There were also places where you decided to give the bass quite a long rest and I think it sounded like it missed a note (for example @1:18). The guitar tone is at times not too great; the parts where it does the crunchy chords in the back sound pretty good, but when it's at the front it seems to lack the correct tone.

It's overall good, but it would be great with the right production. The only thing I'd suggest composition-wise is to perhaps close the piece with some variation of the introduction's piano, as I feel like the way it ends now would only fit if the track as a whole is an introduction to the one following it.

And prog is indeed not really about the length; it can be a 30-minute-long piece and it can be a 3-minute-long one. They tend to be longer than 5 minutes, but that's not really an indication of the composition's structure. Someone can write a 30-minute-long blues song if they like to.
Quote by TLGuitar
Frankly, I've seen Kevätuhri comment hear on another post and criticizing the voicing in the piano/keyboard, and I actually felt that both here and in the other person's composition the piano part mostly sounded good and made sense to my ears. I only play very little piano

I would've thought like that a few years ago but now I probably listen to too much jazz :P Just saying that the piano could be a lot better. Just because something sounds nice doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved, and there is a lot of improvement to be done on those piano parts.

Quote by DaniMahBoy
But could you explain what exactly makes you think it's bland? I know that some changes from verse to chorus are a bit awkward, and that lack of vocals is a serious downer, but do you have anything to add?

I think it was just a bit repetitive in terms of ideas and feeling, and yeah I guess that the lack of vocals affected it a lot.

Quote by DaniMahBoy
Also, i don't think a prog song is required to be long? I mean sure they tend to get lenghty sometimes, but i'm pretty sure it isn't expected.

Quote by TLGuitar
And prog is indeed not really about the length; it can be a 30-minute-long piece and it can be a 3-minute-long one. They tend to be longer than 5 minutes, but that's not really an indication of the composition's structure. Someone can write a 30-minute-long blues song if they like to.

Sure, not arguing with that. But there sure is room to develop some ideas further here if OP wishes to. And personally, my favourite songs tend to be in the +10 minute category. But that has nothing to do with this track in particular.

And if you're arguing that song length doesn't factor in to the genre you play, that's a very silly thing to say. You wont find a five minute symphony or a ten minute pop song. And if you would, they'd probably sound pretty bad. Artistic vision and freedom is an important thing, but bad music still exists. This track works pretty well in the 3 minute format though, and might turn out pretty nicely with the right production.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
And if you're arguing that song length doesn't factor in to the genre you play, that's a very silly thing to say. You wont find a five minute symphony or a ten minute pop song. And if you would, they'd probably sound pretty bad. Artistic vision and freedom is an important thing, but bad music still exists. This track works pretty well in the 3 minute format though, and might turn out pretty nicely with the right production.

Not a whole symphony, as they contain several different movements, but I'm sure you can find enough symphonic movements which are about 5 minutes in length.

And I didn't say length is not a factor (or more accurately, a common feature) in the genre, but that it is not a definitive indicator or a requirement. And I'm pretty sure you could find a song regarded as "pop" that lasts 10 minutes as well
Done progressive music for over 20 years, and it happens without thinking of trying to do progressive music. Just feel, close the doors and dont listen to the neighbours knows it all comments.!!
I have done bands as In The Woods, Green Carnation and many more.. Length is just something that is hard to keep down in music such as progressive stuff, due to so much of it comes out when improvising and jamming.
A very recent improvisation project i did. This is harder than Toto and Genesis rock though.

https://svartelder.bandcamp.com/album/askebundet-ep
Last edited by anders.kobro at Aug 16, 2015,