Okay so I'm getting an Ibanez Iron Label RG7 with exotic blue sunburst wood, and I'm super excited. But the thing is, it comes with a set of EMG707's, and I heard comparisons with the EMG81-7's and the 707's just seem muffled and not as crisp (I like the crisp deep chugga chugga's I can get with my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 frs with EMG81-7's). Here's my dilemma; My Hellraiser has a sustainiac for a neck pickup, and let me say that when it's not in sustainer mode (which it autoroutes through the bridge for the input) the pickup that came with the sustainiac is absolutely wonderful! It's got a perfect warm/deep clear tone while on a clean channel and distorted, it has a great deep "pop" sound to it, and when doing things like sweeping, the pops of the pick hitting the strings are pretty noticeable and it's great.

But I want a pair of pickups for my Ibby that will work great in mixed mode. And all of the conventional metal active pairs like the EMG81 or Blackouts seem to have such a bright sound to them. In my opinion, I hate clean brights. It's ear piercing, tinny, and it's annoying. I instead love the deep rich warm tones. Which neck pickups can I use that will match with an EMG81-7 bridge (match as in have proper in/out phase to cancel humming and have same output levels) to get a nice deep warm tone? Im assuming it would have to be active as well.

Thanks in advance, I'm trying to reach the tone I want here
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 12, 2015,
Sorry if this is not a useful response, but that Ibby's got a tone knob, right? What's wrong with using that?

Besides, play the guitar before you decide what you like and what you don't.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Sorry if this is not a useful response, but that Ibby's got a tone knob, right? What's wrong with using that?

Besides, play the guitar before you decide what you like and what you don't.

It does, but I find that sometimes when using tone knobs to turn down the brightness gives it a slightly muffled sound when compared to a warmer pickup with all its tone still present. If that makes sense. And I've played a prestige and boy the neck was thin and wonderful.
Why did you delete the other thread you made?

It was absolutely identical to this one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why did you delete the other thread you made?

It was absolutely identical to this one.

I didn't delete it, but that one had a whole plethora of other questions about dual pickups and battery usage (neck and bridge versions of the same pickup) and I wanted to narrow this down a bit now that I have the information from that.

I'm actually now looking at the EMG89 neck. I have that on a 6 string Hellraiser and it can be split. But the question is that the Ibanez I'm getting doesn't have a split coil function already built in so what are the modifications I need to get that to work?
Quote by King Elijah at #33546073
I didn't delete it, but that one had a whole plethora of other questions about dual pickups and battery usage (neck and bridge versions of the same pickup) and I wanted to narrow this down a bit now that I have the information from that.

I'm actually now looking at the EMG89 neck. I have that on a 6 string Hellraiser and it can be split. But the question is that the Ibanez I'm getting doesn't have a split coil function already built in so what are the modifications I need to get that to work?

You aren't allowed to make multiple threads on the same guitars. It's against the rules.

You cannot do coil tapping on regular EMG's. The 89's have a third coil (and a secondary preamp for that third coil) built into their casing that runs independently of the regular humbucker that activates when the pickup is tapped. Regular EMG's do not.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 12, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You aren't allowed to make multiple threads on the same guitars. It's against the rules.

Ah then I apologize, although now it's more of the comparability of the pickups.
I know the standard EMGs can't coil tap, but I meant installing the EMG89's, then wouldn't I be able to get that function?
the EMG 85 is the warmest... which the 707 is the closest version. If it were passive the Dimarzio Air Norton 7 would be your best choice
the 66.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
I am not a seven string poayer, but as far as standard emg's go, the 60 is the warmest. The 60 has a couple of variants, 60x and 60 a or something like that.

A DiMarzio liquifire sounds up your alley. I have the 6 string model liquifire and love it. I also played a seven with one and i really liked it. That would mean going passive though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Aug 13, 2015,
Personally I'd say the 60-7AX (if they even make that... Maybe the 60-7X) is your best option.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.