The 490r is a decent neck pickup, the 496r is a very hot neck pickup. The 490T is not very good if your looking at that for the bridge, it came stock in the last run of SG Special faded series.

What bridge pickup are you wanting to put in it, the 490t?

unless you get an amazing deal on those pickups ($75 or less for both) I would seriously look at an aftermarket company.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The 490r is a decent neck pickup, the 496r is a very hot neck pickup. The 490T is not very good if your looking at that for the bridge, it came stock in the last run of SG Special faded series.

What bridge pickup are you wanting to put in it, the 490t?

unless you get an amazing deal on those pickups ($75 or less for both) I would seriously look at an aftermarket company.

Man what's wrong with the 490T? I think it's a great little pickup. Not if you are going aftermarket, but as stock.

TS, what specifically do you want to change about your sound? What sounds do you like? Be VERY specific.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Man what's wrong with the 490T? I think it's a great little pickup. Not if you are going aftermarket, but as stock.

TS, what specifically do you want to change about your sound? What sounds do you like? Be VERY specific.

The 490 is an OK pickup stock, your right, but for after market it is not that great

I thought the 490T in the sg special faded was kind of thin and week compared to the 498T that came with my LP

And TS want them for aftermarket

I suggest looking at Duncan and Dimarzio if you have the budget, Irongear if your working with a tight budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 13, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The 490 is an OK pickup stock, your right, but for after market it is not that great

I thought the 490T in the sg special faded was kind of thin and week compared to the 498T that came with my LP

And TS want them for aftermarket

I suggest looking at Duncan and Dimarzio if you have the budget, Irongear if your working with a tight budget

Well yeah, it definitely isn't as powerful but I think that is part of the charm, it makes for a nice bark instead of a growl. In any case, +1 on your recommendations, though TS has to give us some info. if they want something more specific.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I use a 490r and 500t in my main gibson LP (beater guitar), it does all that i need. I flipped my magnet in th neck, and that was the icing on the cake, and easy and free.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Those are P90's in that guys guitar

You can get some HB sized P-90's that will get you closer to that tone. the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat
www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/specialized-instruments/sph901_phat_cat/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Those are P90's in that guys guitar

You can get some HB sized P-90's that will get you closer to that tone. the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat
www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/specialized-instruments/sph901_phat_cat/

Pretty cool!.

Can u recommend me more pickups for:
Quote by Lucky1777

I want to play Rock & Hardrock music.

I feel my vintage V100 in solos don`t kick. In solos I want to single out of the mix

I will check your advises at Youtube and a will repley.
Last edited by Lucky1777 at Aug 13, 2015,
Nothing wrong with the 490T humbucker. I like it as a stock pickup in a Gibson. I wouldn't pay for it aftermarket though - just as I wouldn't pay for any Gibson pickup aftermarket, aside from maybe a Dirty Fingers. There are just so many good pickups on the market that are more affordable that it seems silly to buy Gibson pickups unless you're a purist.

For the V100 - which I believe is a Les Paul style guitar, you can't go wrong with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF in the neck.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Lucky1777
Pretty cool!.

Can u recommend me more pickups for:

I will check your advises at Youtube and a will repley.

What amp are you using? That will have the biggest impact on your sound, pickups are for fine-tuning
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not a bad setup at all

Do a little investigating on HB sized P90 pickups, I think you'd be pretty happy with them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i agree with rob and ThunderPunk- they're ok stock pickups, I wouldn't buy them as retrofits, though.

if you want p90 sounds I'm guessing HB-sized versions might be worth a look, but I have no experience with them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FWIW, I picked my 500t off of CL for $50 cut out of an explorer. They are a good pickup at that price IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't buy Gibson pickups aftermarket.

For your guitar and your sound I would honestly recommend Seymour Duncan's Alnico 2 Pro Slash (APH-2) models. They're fairly low output but they work well for that kind of music. They're also considerably cheaper than Gibson pickups, and sound better to boot.

If you want some more kick, consider a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11) with a Pearly Gates (SH-PG1n) in the neck.

If you have some more money on hand consider Bare Knuckle Black Dogs or Emeralds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
FWIW, I picked my 500t off of CL for $50 cut out of an explorer. They are a good pickup at that price IMO.

There are definitely good buys on the used market for Gibson pickups - can't deny that. 500t, 57 Classics, 498t, Burstbuckers, and some of their other offerings can be found for a great price in the right places. Buying one new on the other hand... eek.

The 490T can be found pretty cheap used as a lot of people pitch them for other pickups. It is a good pickup for what it is designed to do. It straddles the line between vintage and modern. For crunchy stuff, I really like it. For higher gain stuff, I find it a bit muddy.

I actually have a 490T in the neck position of my parts-telecaster. It's pretty interesting sounding.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.