so im beginning to work on recording my own music. as far as the band goes im going to be recording guitar, bass and vocals myself, and using a drum program to make the track. i was curious if anyone has any tips for sound deadening for a guitar amp. i was considering building a large box and lining it with some shaggy carpet or something like that, i dont know how that would effect the sound though. im on a tight budget so any "cheap" ideas would be helpful. tips for recording vocals would be great as well cause i have no experience in doing that whatsoever.

also, i was hoping someone could recommend a good mic that can get high quality recordings of guitars and vocals. i know nothing about mics other than that Shure is a good brand lol. im going to be recording directly to audacity on my pc so keep this in mind.

thanks for any help you can give me
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yep, build a box with carpeting or pillows inside. Buy an SM58 if you ever want to use it live. A Rode NT1a can be found for around $150 used and is a good first condenser mic. Now Go record something and post it on YouTube.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Look up "iso cabinet".
In the studio we had portable panels on wheels that had sound isolation that we moved around to lower the guitar bleed, but if you're recording by yourself you can possibly just track on headphones and let it bleed unless you have neighbors that will complain. In that case sticking it in a closet with heavy U-Haul moving blankets might help or iso cabs.
Cajundaddy means SM57 I think.

What mics do you plan to use on it?

Some DYI iso cab links:
http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm

Factory-made iso cab:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jetstream-12-iso-1x12-isolation-guitar-speaker-cabinet/430430
i actually just found out my amp can connect directly with my computer for recording, so i probably wont need a mic to record guitar at all. vocals on the other hand, im gonna need to figure out a way to sound deaden a small room or something.

any recommendations on a good vocal mic? i wont need it on stage or anything
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
i actually just found out my amp can connect directly with my computer for recording, so i probably wont need a mic to record guitar at all. vocals on the other hand, im gonna need to figure out a way to sound deaden a small room or something.

any recommendations on a good vocal mic? i wont need it on stage or anything

See post #2
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Condensers are better for vocals. Get the AT2020 but you need phantom power from your interface. If you want one that can double on guitar as well get an Audix i5 or Senn e835.
It is better to mic the amp btw, direct outputs usually range from bad to horrible.
Why do you need to deaden your room for vocals? Is it a big empty concrete box? Does it really echo?

If it;s your living room/bedroom, you don't need to really treat it that much, especially if there is a lot of cloth around the room (couches, beds, etc). As well, a lot of the negatives can be removed from the recording by positioning the mic in such a way as to neutralize standing waves, reflections, etc.

Can you elaborate on the space you plan to record in?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by the chemist
Why do you need to deaden your room for vocals? Is it a big empty concrete box? Does it really echo?

If it;s your living room/bedroom, you don't need to really treat it that much, especially if there is a lot of cloth around the room (couches, beds, etc). As well, a lot of the negatives can be removed from the recording by positioning the mic in such a way as to neutralize standing waves, reflections, etc.

Can you elaborate on the space you plan to record in?

This- odds are you will just be close micing everything. The room shouldnt be a massive influence. And I think the style of music youre playing is important to help people recommend mics that are most appropriate
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

If its purely just to cut down noise, then I used to use duvets all around the amp. I could then turn it up high enough to get a good tone, without the neighbors complaining - at no cost. SM57 and AT2020 are both good recommendations. But if you are really skint/broke - then try something like a samson Q1 - you can get them of ebay real cheap (~$20-30), and they are good for the price and fairly versatile.