60th anniversary MIM Fender Stratocaster. The pickups sound weak as hell and thin. First question: how good/bad are the stock pickups in those guitars usually? If they are not great pickups I may just have them replaced. If pups are good, then it means the saddle/nut may need adjustment yes? If the pickups need replaced what brands/models would be best? How about replacing one of the singlecoils with a humbucker?

Was told last week that once I had it setup I'd love the guitar and finally have the time to go down to the guitar shop. Tomorrow I'm heading down there after work and getting the guitar setup. Any tips on what sorts of things I should get the tech to check out? I'm not crazy about the control knobs, they seem kind of shitty, maybe I should have those replaced.

Thanks in advance!
weak compared to what? stock MIM pups aren't great but tend to be a little hotter than many fender pups. they are ceramic instead of alnico. thre certainly is way better pickups out there depends on what you want. as for setup that's up to you. any tech worth a damn should know how to set up a strat for best use. control knobs shouldbe fine but again up to you.

make sure the nut sis cut correctly very important for tuning stability. personally i prefer the trem to float but again up to you.
Quote by monwobobbo
weak compared to what? stock MIM pups aren't great but tend to be a little hotter than many fender pups. they are ceramic instead of alnico. thre certainly is way better pickups out there depends on what you want. as for setup that's up to you. any tech worth a damn should know how to set up a strat for best use. control knobs shouldbe fine but again up to you.

make sure the nut sis cut correctly very important for tuning stability. personally i prefer the trem to float but again up to you.

Thanks. The pups are weak compared to the ones in my Epiphone. I've never had a Fender electric before so no context on the pickups, but from what you are saying they shouldn't be bad on my Strat. $50-75 for setup, right?
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks. The pups are weak compared to the ones in my Epiphone. I've never had a Fender electric before so no context on the pickups, but from what you are saying they shouldn't be bad on my Strat. $50-75 for setup, right?

single coils won't be like humbuckers different deal. not sure in your area but around here $50. don't go to GC find a real guy to do it. keep in mind that a strat is a different beast from say a Les Paul. they are meant to have a cleaner sound and will even when using distortion. you can get some great hevy sounds out of them but again not the same as humbucker equiped guitars.
For what it's worth, if you want beefier pickups Texas Specials are pretty much the beefy Strat pickup. If you want it to work more like a humbucker-equipped guitar, though, you'll probably be looking at Seymour Duncan or similar Strat-size humbuckers.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I would look into a seymour duncan quarter pounder would be a good option for the bridge.

The big thing with setup is if you want the trem decked or floating. I deck my strat trems. The shitty stock trems don't stay in tune well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I deck my strat trems. The shitty stock trems don't stay in tune well.

Same here, also makes it good for quick drop tunings.

Can't be 100% sure but the 'decking' seems to help the sustain a bit....or maybe I'm imagining it ;-)
Last edited by SpiderM at Aug 14, 2015,
Quote by SpiderM
Same here, also makes it good for quick drop tunings.

Can't be 100% sure but the 'decking' seems to help the sustain a bit....or maybe I'm imagining it ;-)

When I got my most recent strat, it was set to float. I swear when I decked it is did sustain better. I thought I was crazy, maybe we are on to something.

From a physics perspective it should though. Interesting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Only advice I'd say is learn to do setups, read a book , tech articles, YT vids, whatever. Then put $50 in a jar for more NGDs!