let me start by saying that i hate hate hate wah switches. i cannot figure out how to use those things fluidly while playing, it just sucks me right out of the moment. I hate them to the point that i just avoided the wah for a solid 5 years, using an envelope filter when i needed some funk in my rhythm playing. a few months ago i broke down and bought an optical wah, attracted by the switchless design. I hate the wah, some behringer piece of crap, couldnt get a good sound out of it, but loved the switchless idea. so my question is: why arent there a lot of optical wahs around? theres the morely line and a handful of others, but they are really not very common. is there something inherently wrong with this design or am i just being paranoid?
They work just fine. Take a look at the Morley Maverick. It's essentially a Bad Horsey in a smaller package.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't understand what the difficulty is with the switch in the wah, but to each his own.

I don't have much experience with morely, but I would trust cath, as well as the morely cult following.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Morley wahs are great, I've been using a Bad Horsie 2 for a few years and I like it much better than the Dunlop I had.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cry Baby 95Q. Just step on it and you're in wah heaven. No switches, plus you can control the range. I had a Morley optical wah but didn't like it. Mainly because I felt the sweep was too shallow.
They are cool, and less wear due to no switch. But I prefer s switch because I like to leave it open for effect some days.
Quote by esky15
They are cool, and less wear due to no switch. But I prefer s switch because I like to leave it open for effect some days.

well not all morley wah's are switchless, some still have an actual on/off switch.

But one of the reasons I bought my BH2 was because of the switchless feature and it just sounds really good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well not all morley wah's are switchless, some still have an actual on/off switch.

But one of the reasons I bought my BH2 was because of the switchless feature and it just sounds really good.

Isn't the purpose of the optical wahs to no have a footswitch?
You could get one of those G-Lab Wah Pads(I think that's what they're called!) and use any conventional wah with a switch you like! The pad is pressure sensitive so you can leave the wah on all the time and just put your foot on it to activate it. Or Yeah some kind of Morley.
Quote by esky15
Isn't the purpose of the optical wahs to no have a footswitch?
No. Its point is to replace the pot. The first optical wahs had a switch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 14, 2015,
Most wah's I've seen have a switch. The Morley has a switch on the side, not operated by the pedal like the Dunlop. I have one but need to get it fixed. My old one, 100V silver box model was great, I finally burned it up. Fried a part inside and it trashed the circuit.

You can adjust the sweep of the Morleys, they have instructions on their website. I think tone and sweep can be adjusted, check their site. morley.com I think.

I like the optical wah really well, mine was a volume and power booster as well. No pot to wear out of get dirty and it sounded very good. I'd love to find another like the old silver box I had, I used it for 10 years or so and loved it.

The way mine worked, it was always a volume pedal. A switch on one side turned the power booster on and off, switch on the other side turned Wah on and off. Either both could be used at once. But volume pedal was always there, except when wah was turned on.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Morley make both types. The old Power wahs have a switch, the Bad Horsie/Mavericks are switchless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No. Its point is to replace the pot. The first optical wahs had a switch.

Oh ok. I thought all optical were switch less, and the button pedals were the old style.
Quote by esky15
Oh ok. I thought all optical were switch less, and the button pedals were the old style.

no, the optical eye replaces the pot and it does not wear out like a pot. at most you have to re adjust it every so often (I have never had this issue)

the switchless ones rely on a pressure sensor to turn it on or off
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 15, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
no, the optical eye replaces the pot and it does not wear out like a pot. at most you have to re adjust it every so often (I have never had this issue)

the switchless ones rely on a pressure sensor to turn it on or off

Yea my buddy has the bad horse. It: pretty cool, and k was amazed the first time I saw it, but I like my crybaby.