Page 1 of 3
We can recognise bad coffee. There's a reason Starbucks failed in Australia, and that's because everyone knew of at least 10 independently owned cafes within walking distance of any Starbucks store that did better coffee than the new American impostor on the block.

You know where else in the world Starbucks failed? Nowhere. No one can turn their nose up at a big international chain like we can. No one can recognise that a venti decaf frappuccino​ with soy milk and vanilla bean syrup is about as far away from proper, adult coffee as is humanly possible like we can.

http://www.traveller.com.au/australian-coffee-is-the-best-in-the-world-ginqk2
Starbucks failed at me, because I've never been in one. Not even for a piss.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I don't drink coffee, but their chocolate milk is overpriced and tastes horrible.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Ive never even heard of Australia...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
indie coffee places are almost always better but there's always a Starbucks near you so I'll put up with subpar coffee when needs must
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I'd rather talk to the qt behind the counter at Starbucks than deal with the greasy hipster types at the local indie coffee shop.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I didn't read the article but I guarantee that it was written by a pretentious hipster from Melbourne.
Quote by DardySon
I didn't read the article but I guarantee that it was written by a pretentious hipster from Melbourne.

Screw you! :P
A lot of things failed in Australia, so I'm not surprised.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Similar thing here, the only place which might be suitable for Starbucks is Ljubljana but it's literally overcrowded with small cafés so nobody gives a damn. Well, nobody except for the 165 people who liked the 'We want Starbucks in Slovenia' Facebook page which apparently exists.

But currently we still don't have a single Starbucks which is

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
^i remember you telling me that before. Damn, I must visit
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
We also have only one Burger King and only one Subways in the entire country. And no other fast food places that I know of, no Wendy's, no KFC, no nothing.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
If you are a white people country and deny Starbucks you are awesome and progressive.
No white people? Youre just a dump with no Starbucks
Quote by JamSessionFreak
We also have only one Burger King and only one Subways in the entire country. And no other fast food places that I know of, no Wendy's, no KFC, no nothing.

The old country gets better and better.
No one can recognise that a venti decaf frappuccino​ with soy milk and vanilla bean syrup is about as far away from proper, adult coffee as is humanly possible like we can.

Ugh
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by SGstriker
I'd rather talk to the qt behind the counter at Starbucks than deal with the greasy hipster types at the local indie coffee shop.

lol nice
Starbucks only hired good looking people or something?
I've never been to one, I've always pictured the employees to look like steakhouse waiters
Seriously Australia is near the bottom of the list of countries that has cause to brag about denying American corporate influence. They are basically an American colony in comparison to most.
I went to Starbucks once in middle school. It was gross.

It's also the only coffee i've ever had. I want to try some real coffee sometime tho because it smells great and is the reason bookstores are good.
Starbucks coffee is terrible. Their food/iced drinks are amazing however.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by EyeNon15
Seriously Australia is near the bottom of the list of countries that has cause to brag about denying American corporate influence. They are basically an American colony in comparison to most.

only in the cities, out where I live it's different.
Quote by EyeNon15 at #33548189
I've never been to one, I've always pictured the employees to look like steakhouse waiters

Is that a distinctive look or...

My Starbucks was on campus so yeah they hired some QTs.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EyeNon15

I've never seen ugly people work at sbux. At least they were all somewhat attractive idk I'm bad at judging attractiveness nvm

I used to practically live there when writing papers because the tables were just the right height and I can't write in silence, and the one on my campus was the biggest one in the country or something. However, it's expensive and their food sucks and the only drink I really like is the chai latte which I can make a better version of at home so I stopped going there. (I also like mocha frapps but I usually just eat the whipped cream on top and ask someone else to finish it.) Coffee Bean is better and I started going there to study instead once I realized it was right next to my bus stop.
cat
Quote by JamSessionFreak

But how do you survive then?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
In Australia, most people working in coffee shops are kinda attractive. It's probably cause indie coffee shops are to us what starbucks is to everyone else.

Quote by EyeNon15

Taco Bell and Burger King lost their name rights in Australia, plain cigarettes packaging, pulled out of your TPP etc.
We do ok
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Aug 14, 2015,
Quote by Cianyx

Taco Bell and Burger King lost their name rights in Australia, plain cigarettes packaging, pulled out of your TPP etc.
We do ok

Still puts Australia near the bottom of places that deny American corporate service industries.

Unless of course we are talking in context of only white people majority countries. Then OZ might rank pretty high. Probably a bit behind russia. And if Iran counts as white majority.
Probably should change it to white Christian countries, then OZ might have a tiny bit to brag about.
The only time I drank coffee was in rehab, and that was only when I snuck caffeinated coffee to my room. Also drank foldgers in jail.

Coffee sucks, I'd have to drive an hour to get to the nearest starbucks. They'd probably fail in my town unless they were putting crank or booze in their coffee.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that your current economy is in a shambles?

I note that you have several McDonalds so get down off that high horse, it makes your ass look fat...

Coffee snobs are hilarious. Starbucks didn't get to where it is by providing sub-par products, all the elitist nonsense here notwithstanding. This really holds true for most (all?) consumer snobs, whether it's coffee, booze, music or any other consumer product.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 14, 2015,
You know where else in the world Starbucks failed?

Italy
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Italy

Can't fail in someplace you've never been?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Coffee snobs are hilarious. Starbucks didn't get to where it is by providing sub-par products, all the elitist nonsense here notwithstanding. This really holds true for most (all?) consumer snobs, whether it's coffee, booze, music or any other consumer product.

The reason Starbucks hasn't failed in other countries is because the people don't know the good stuff from the bad. Many other countries did not have espresso before Starbucks came to them. However here in Melbourne the Italian immigrants brought their espresso machines with them in the 50's, hence why we've had a quite a long coffee culture. When Starbucks opened their first Melbourne store sometime in 2000, they did it on a street known for its Italian cuisine. So it was basically like a giant f*ck you to all the regulars on the street because their stuff was absolutely rubbish. By 2008 they had to close 61 stores around the country.
Page 1 of 3