I am helping my little brother pick out a starter bass and being a guitar player, my knowledge is quite limited when it comes to what are the best low end models when it comes to playability, reliability, and tone.

We are planning to go and play a few this weekend, but any opinions and suggestions on either of these, or even some alternatives would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Depends. For a more Bass-like sound, Yamaha. But, if it were to be me, i would pick, even though it´s not on the options, a Cort Action.
Which VM model? It's an absolutely fantastic range for the price imo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Out of those i would definitely go for they vm jazz or precision. I like thunderbirds but there are too many design flaws and they 'll butcher his technique.

If your budget will stretch far enough for a classic vibe squier then look at those. Easily the best basses in the 300ish range.
Quote by Spaz91
Out of those i would definitely go for they vm jazz or precision. I like thunderbirds but there are too many design flaws and they 'll butcher his technique.

If your budget will stretch far enough for a classic vibe squier then look at those. Easily the best basses in the 300ish range.

+1 to this except the Thunderbird bit simply because I have no experience of said bass to comment on it.

There's also a Vintage Modified PJ bass if you're into that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Of those, I would go with the VM. They are really a nice series of basses and a lot of versatility in there for the price. I haven't had enough experience with the Yamahas to comment.

Jon is correct about the Tbird. They have their fans, but the flaws outnumber the pros in my opinion. Neck dive, bad upper fret access and questionable Q/A by Epiphone are but a few.
Not even close. VM!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Thank you for all the feedback. We actually tried quite a few basses out and decided to go for the VM Jazz bass.

The action was quite high on the Thunderbird off the wall and it felt quite neck heavy. We tried the affinity jazz but it felt very cheap compared to the VM version. Also tried an Ibanez bass which was really nice, but was the same price as the VM.
Nice choice, I love mine

What finish?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 17, 2015,
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, yeah, those are pretty! Would've bought one myself but it had about £50 on the price of the sunburst model.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I have a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz Bass IV, the price is around the VM really great bass. You should also check out some Classic Vibe model If you're willing to go higher, or you can get a used fender mim.