Does it actually enhance your creativity in making music or no? or other creative outlets like writing,designing, inventing things.

I know for a fact sometimes coffee can get me super locked in on practicing a song, such as figuring out the song by ear, or trying to nail a lick.

i want to quit drinking coffee but i play the best right after drinking a cup of coffee.

Ive been drinking coffee so long i dont know what it feels like to not be dependant on it but i feel like a zombie for a couple of days without it before reverting to drinking coffee daily.

I want to know what it feels like not to be dependant on it and how that compares to what i feel drinking coffee daily as far as guitar playing is concerned.

I know this is hard to answer but do you think most musicians are heavily caffeinated?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Aug 14, 2015,
Makes me real creative with my bowel movements if I have too much of it
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I'd say no. It just makes you more alert and focused to better work on a creative idea that came about without caffeine.
Quote by EyeNon15
I'd say no. It just makes you more alert and focused to better work on a creative idea that came about without caffeine.

This.

To extend this to for example weed.

I can give u boring lecture on axon's and neurons, but basically, using weed keeps the information (in this case a note you play/hear) longer at one spot. It basically forces your brain to keep focused on one thing longer, which offcourse will make u come up with new things.

Weed also lowers feeling of emotions, and people who can write music while high, could also just experience the fact that their anxiety is lowered, making them less strict in their decision making.

ait peace.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
This.

To extend this to for example weed.

I can give u boring lecture on axon's and neurons, but basically, using weed keeps the information (in this case a note you play/hear) longer at one spot. It basically forces your brain to keep focused on one thing longer, which offcourse will make u come up with new things.

Weed also lowers feeling of emotions, and people who can write music while high, could also just experience the fact that their anxiety is lowered, making them less strict in their decision making.

ait peace.

I don't care if you got your master's in yeah I smoke weed, man from Erowid.com, shut your head.
No
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I don't think any drug can "enhance" your creativity, in that it can't provide what's not there, but it's an ignorant lie to claim that drugs can't provide things that help you in the creative process, like focus or stress relief.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I don't think any drug can "enhance" your creativity, in that it can't provide what's not there, but it's an ignorant lie to claim that drugs can't provide things that help you in the creative process, like focus or stress relief.

Nailed it!
nope
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Weed also lowers feeling of emotions

lol
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
God, I remember a few years ago I used to take a bunch of caffeine pills before sitting down to write, and then I'd write and write and write until the jitters took me over and then I'd take valium to calm down.

For me caffeine sure helped me write, and it might help you play, but I don't think it helped me write any more sincerely or poetically or creatively or anything. It just helped me with the mechanical act of writing - putting my fingers on the keyboard, and so on. Because I'm a very low energy and unwell person generally and drugs help getting over that.

And then I'd like to tell you "but oh, since I've gone sober this past year my writing has improved, I play more, everything is better, etc.," but the fact is it hasn't, and things have only gotten worse for me in every way and, in fact, I haven't written a word. Take what you want from that I guess.
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
No

Or any other drug: no

Talent is either there or not. Drugs merely delude you into thinking you have talent.
Quote by EyeNon15
Then why is straight edge music so shitty

Because they're all too busy thinking about all the booze they're not drinking, and drugs they're not taking to write anything good.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Kratom work better.

Quote by EyeNon15
Then why is straight edge music so shitty

BAM!
Quote by LauraMarx
God, I remember a few years ago I used to take a bunch of caffeine pills before sitting down to write, and then I'd write and write and write until the jitters took me over and then I'd take valium to calm down.

For me caffeine sure helped me write, and it might help you play, but I don't think it helped me write any more sincerely or poetically or creatively or anything. It just helped me with the mechanical act of writing - putting my fingers on the keyboard, and so on. Because I'm a very low energy and unwell person generally and drugs help getting over that.

And then I'd like to tell you "but oh, since I've gone sober this past year my writing has improved, I play more, everything is better, etc.," but the fact is it hasn't, and things have only gotten worse for me in every way and, in fact, I haven't written a word. Take what you want from that I guess.

what do/did you write in particular?
Quote by Dregen
what do/did you write in particular?

At the time I was really into Burroughs et al so I would write a lot of unreadable stuff. One thing that I used to do was to make a bunch of cards that I'd shuffle and draw, in the manner of Eno's Oblique Strategies. Sometimes it'd be story-specific stuff, like 'characters swim in the lake' or something, or something more unpredictable, like 'develop your least favourite character' - and I'd draw it, write the scene out as much as I could get from it, bring it to its own natural resolution, and then draw the next card, etc. I would write from anywhere in the narrative, not starting at the beginning or ending at the end but writing anything that comes to mind, with no plot in mind, and eventually the plot would develop itself from the ideas. After a while it'd build into a complete story, all of the strange and disparate passages I wrote at the beginning would be resolved, etc. Or maybe it wouldn't, and it'd be a mess.

I tried to apply dadecophany to writing once and it was hilarious most especially because I did it on a roleplaying forum and tried to get other people to do it. The rules were like, instead of picking notes you'd pick words, or letters, or ideas, or something like that, and follow through it in the way you would with tone rows. And I got a couple of people to do it with me and it was off the rails and unreadable and I loved it.

Anyway, yada yada. A lot of silly stuff. I don't know what I'd write now, if I was to write.
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

the last time i had caffeine, my brother and I were driving up to upstate new york. Was about a six hour drive, maybe seven. Once we hit midnight, my brother was getting a bit antsy. He's not too fond on driving for more than five minutes, but I figured I'd act as a distraction. So I drank a coke, it was disgusting, and I was wired.

that is my story about caffeine.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
So I drank a coke

A coke! That's all it takes? That's like, 8 grams.

Quote by LauraMarx
At the time I was really into Burroughs et al so I would write a lot of unreadable stuff. One thing that I used to do was to make a bunch of cards that I'd shuffle and draw, in the manner of Eno's Oblique Strategies. Sometimes it'd be story-specific stuff, like 'characters swim in the lake' or something, or something more unpredictable, like 'develop your least favourite character' - and I'd draw it, write the scene out as much as I could get from it, bring it to its own natural resolution, and then draw the next card, etc. I would write from anywhere in the narrative, not starting at the beginning or ending at the end but writing anything that comes to mind, with no plot in mind, and eventually the plot would develop itself from the ideas. After a while it'd build into a complete story, all of the strange and disparate passages I wrote at the beginning would be resolved, etc. Or maybe it wouldn't, and it'd be a mess.

I tried to apply dadecophany to writing once and it was hilarious most especially because I did it on a roleplaying forum and tried to get other people to do it. The rules were like, instead of picking notes you'd pick words, or letters, or ideas, or something like that, and follow through it in the way you would with tone rows. And I got a couple of people to do it with me and it was off the rails and unreadable and I loved it.

Anyway, yada yada. A lot of silly stuff. I don't know what I'd write now, if I was to write.

i checked out some of burrough's stuff and it's not really my cup of tea. that being said i don't really know why because i mean it makes me feel something when i read it (mostly discomfort, however that in itself can also be an artistic statement)
Personally, it's a relaxing feeling drinking coffee while playing guitar, gets me in the zone for sure. As far as creativity goes, I doubt it has much of an effect, unless you count feeling more relaxed by it therefore opening your mind to some crazy shit.

I don't really know, ask Dave Grohl, I'm sure he has some input.
Quote by Dregen
i checked out some of burrough's stuff and it's not really my cup of tea. that being said i don't really know why because i mean it makes me feel something when i read it (mostly discomfort, however that in itself can also be an artistic statement)

don't worry about it he's a gross asshole lmao.

ITT people speculate what drugs must be like, but have no idea what theyre talking about
Quote by Fat Lard
ITT people speculate what drugs must be like, but have no idea what theyre talking about

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by LauraMarx
A coke! That's all it takes? That's like, 8 grams.

I was on the tail end of my adderall, and I figure the combo just amped me up
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I wouldn't say caffeine directly makes me more creative. But it makes me feel more awake, which in turn helps me be more creative.
I have nothing important to say
I think a state of mind can make a big difference with what I create. If I am sad, I might write something real sad, or pumped up, I might write something pumped up. Sometimes if I am too lethargic, or depressed, or tired, I might not want to write at all, but also I've made some cool mellow tired style stuff after I just wokeup, if I'm real tired or something.

Being half asleep can help me with creativity.

Caffeine can pump me up, perhaps help bring out of lethargic mood to a mood to write, idk. It can make a small difference to me, for sure.

Too much will give me a bit of the jitters, which is bad for music.

I think caffeine would make a bigger difference if you didn't drink it much, and then did, than if you took caffeine every day.