I keep getting all these guitars with EMG81s for bridge and I like them but I've never had a chance to try any other actives. I always wanted to get Blackouts for their super chunky sound but I want to be able to get a nice warm sound from my neck pickup. Do the Blackout neck pickups have a nice clean sound? The guitar I want to install them on doesn't have a tone knob so if it's too bright it might be a pain.

In comparison to the EMG81 neck pickups is it warmer or brighter? Or less clear/more distorted etc
They sound great clean. I primarily use the neck Blackout for cleans. If you click on the link in my signature, that song was entirely recorded with Blackouts (bridge for all the heavy/tremelo riffs and neck for all clean/ambient parts). Guitar is a Schecter Blackjack ATX V-1 (solid mahogany). Most of the volume swells in the ambient part were recorded through a 6505+ too, which isn't known for cleans. The underlying arpeggio progression was the Fender Twin model on my Vypyr, but same guitar w/ Blackouts regardless.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
They sound great clean. I primarily use the neck Blackout for cleans. If you click on the link in my signature, that song was entirely recorded with Blackouts (bridge for all the heavy/tremelo riffs and neck for all clean/ambient parts). Guitar is a Schecter Blackjack ATX V-1 (solid mahogany). Most of the volume swells in the ambient part were recorded through a 6505+ too, which isn't known for cleans. The underlying arpeggio progression was the Fender Twin model on my Vypyr, but same guitar w/ Blackouts regardless.

Awesome, I checked it out, great ambience! I read that they gave a sort of crunch clean, is that false then? I'd like my cleans to be clean
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 14, 2015,
^^They give a crunchy clean to noob guitar players who know nothing about picking dynamics and/or setting up their rig. There's no question -- they are high-output pickups. If you play them ham-fisted they are going to drive your amp's preamp hard and possibly get crunch. But if you pick softly and/or back off on the guitar's volume knob some, they are crystal clean. If I can get decent cleans with them out of a 6505, then it should be even easier out of most other amps. When I use my Schecter (w/ Blkouts), I typically set my gain at least one notch lower on both lead and clean channels. They push the preamp pretty hard. But it's easy to compensate. On the neck pickup I really don't have to back off on my volume knob much to get perfectly-clean cleans. I tend to just pick softly. Personally, I enjoy pickups that maybe have a little more output than necessary and be able to control it with the guitar's volume knob. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. My opinion, anyway.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 14, 2015,
Ah, I see. I guess I'm just having second thoughts because I know that the EMG 81/85 combo would give a great versatile range with the 85 giving wonderful cleans, but I have so many 81s already and I want to see if I can get a diff sound. Would the EMG 85s neck give a better clean than the blackout neck? I wish I could match but SD says you can't really
You may want to try an EMG 60 or SA for the cleans as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .