So I'm getting a nice blue Iron Label Ibanez but it doesn't have a tone knob, only a volume and killswitch. I'll be wanting to put in metal pickups like Blackouts but the thing is that if they are a little too much for clean, I might want to knock back the higher frequencies for a warmer sound. Here's the question. I don't want to drill new holes into it, so is it possible to get a push/pull knob like they have for split coil pups and properly get it to switch between being a tone knob and a volume knob? This would be super cool actually

On another note, I for some reason hate the sound that comes from lowering the volume knobs, even in active pickups it just seems to get horrible sustain and feel weak. Since I never really like to turn them down except to mute the guitar, since it already has a killswitch, would it be possible to change the volume knob into a tone knob altogether if the push/pull can't be done? What do you guys think about not having a volume knob?
Last edited by King Elijah at Aug 14, 2015,
If you want to stick with the volume knob + tone knob solution, rather than a push/pull pot you'll need a concentric pot like this:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPAS500/Alps-Stacked-500K-Dual-Concentric-Pot.html
That will allow you to have 2 pots but only use on hole on the guitar.

You can get knobs that work with these pots too:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CKM2S-17/Stacked-Metal-Dome-Guitar-Knob-Set-Chrome.html
Quote by WeZ-84
If you want to stick with the volume knob + tone knob solution, rather than a push/pull pot you'll need a concentric pot like this:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPAS500/Alps-Stacked-500K-Dual-Concentric-Pot.html
That will allow you to have 2 pots but only use on hole on the guitar.

You can get knobs that work with these pots too:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CKM2S-17/Stacked-Metal-Dome-Guitar-Knob-Set-Chrome.html

Ahh thank you guys! That's awesome but the real importance is... I CAN GET THEM IN GOLD haha, I want it to match the rest of the gold hardware. I'm so glad this is a thing
I looked around and I see a lot of different brands of stacked knobs and there's compatibility issues and I also hear sometimes there's problems with one turning with the other and stuff and knocking the other knob when you don't want to. I'd prefer to have the push/pull pot still. Does anyone make a dual concentric push/pull pot that could be used for tone/volume?
I'd love for there to be but there is nothing like it. Usually with complex wiring people get:

a super 5 way switch. it's excellent for 2 pickup guitars
rotary switches like on PRS guitars
freeway toggles - 6 position 3 way toggles
Fender S1 switches.

I find the tone knob to be useless but four alternatives I like for passives are
the fender greasebucket mod - its a bass cut for clarity and tightening up the lows , great for hot pickups. This mod costs under a dollar if you can get the resistors and capacitors you want.

the torres engineering mid scoop / boost
it chokes or adds more to your guitars signal , its the most expensive mod mentioned. What I found weird when assembling it is both 0 and 10 are like a killswitch but 0.1 to 9.9 are fine. Keep this mod at 5 for your guitars true sound.

the fender TBX tone control
0 - 4.9 = treble cutting , the classic tone people keep at 10
5 = no effect on the signal , no load tone controls give more clarity apparently
5.1-10 = bass cutting to alter your tone in that 2nd dimension
with the tbx keep it at 5 unless you want to shape your sound

the fender jazz mod
you pull up on a push pull and your tone is rolled back to say what a 0.047 (lets say) capacitor sounds like. It's like a single stage varitone with no control. The higher the value of capacitor the more treble is cut. In the 60s 0.1uf was used which is twice as strong.

question is why have the tone and volume on one pot? I'd probably drill a hole in the guitar or find something I never use. On my two guitars I will never part with one has a mid scoop and boost , the other a bass cut currently.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 14, 2015,
Not to make things harder for you but active pickups use 25k pots, not 500k or 250k like the majority of the concentric pots you're going to find. Just having a tone knob would probably sound okay with the neck pickup, but you might not be happy with what it does to your bridge pickup.
Stacked pots are twice as deep as single pots. so make sure that they will fit in the guitar's body. Good luck.
that is a good point but for 500k pots you can turn the resistance to 25k with a resistor on the hot lead to grounding on the back of the pot. Do this for just the guitars volume portion as the tone portion if you go concentric is fine. 500k will give you more possibility than 25k.

easy answer why 500k to 0k is a further distance , lots more in between to roll up or down to really make use of the capacitor.

25k tone pots are to me like light switches, fully engaged and off essentially and you got to be really really minimalistic when turning a 25k tone pot to get certain tones out of a tone pot. so when I get guitars with them I get rid of them

a treble bleed onto a 25k pot myself seems wasteful. You The stewmac ones really overpriced too. Granted it's that orange drop everyone runs to as if vishay only can make a good capacitor but yeah ... 250k or 500k pots absolutely but it's not a massive difference treble bleeding a 25k pot compared to modifying a A250k pot for example.

I wouldn't have added onto this if i wasn't going to mention the 25k resistor mod. You can also use resistors to alter a pickups brightness from the hot lead of the switch your pickups soldered onto , to ground. But very small differences unless you go insane with the resistors.