Have we had any discussion lately about solderless cables? I've seen some mentions but nothing really just about them. A lot of it about George L (good and bad).

I don't really mind soldering my own cables. In fact I get an odd joy out of it. Just curious if there's a point that I'm missing about solderless cables that would trump soldered. I do like the smaller plug bodies that generally come with solderless, but I think it will still take up the same footprint. Likewise I could still probably solder cables with solderless plugs.

Anyone that can testify for or against solderless cables? The use for me at least would be patch cables for a pedalboard.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 14, 2015,
I have used them. My least favorite cables and most prone to failure. They no longer live in my gig bag.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I never felt like gambling on them.

I use cable that out-specs moogami gold, at $. 50-.$ 75/foot, and Switchcraft jacks with no issues ever.

I took Matt's advice and i use what he recommended.

Besttronics is where I would like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, golden eared hifi nuts claim that solderless sound better because soldered joints have higher resistance. Personally, I think they are full of shit because there is solder all the way through the amp so how much difference can it really make?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cajundaddy
I have used them. My least favorite cables and most prone to failure. They no longer live in my gig bag.

Agreed. Even assembled exactly as manufacturers recommend, they're still ridiculously unreliable. Solder your own if you need custom lengths.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I've used them in RC plugs like JST and can handle up to 180 watts, so should be fine even for audio.

Need the proper crimp tools and they're not cheap. Anyway I personally prefer soldered plugs because connections are more reliable if done well.
Pros:

Custom lengths for patching purposes.

Cons:

For multi-wire signal core is reliability as connection cannot be gas tight and connection is mechanically speaking also iffy (very technical term 'iffy' ;O)

For single-wire signal core is stiffness and reliability issues because of core breakage due to lower flexibility. On a pedal board if fixed then stiffness based breakage shouldn't be an issue however the price may be.

However consider also that even most soldered cables do not have good strain relief. Good soldering is strong however at that point the wires have no further additional support from the jacket/insulation friction so the connections become a very significant weak point.

I am of the opinion that a lead should only fail due to an accident significant enough to break the cable component itself (or a plug... like dropping an amp on one) or an awful lot of wear and tear (read 'lots of yanking and bending by the axe wielding maniac).

No cable is indestructible of course, however solderless systems are ultimately a technical compromise for convenience.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Marc.
Last edited by SHOOTOUT! at Aug 15, 2015,
Quote by SHOOTOUT!
Pros:

Solderless connections are about as good as the connectors you use.

That said, all my cables are soldered.
Quote by SHOOTOUT!
Pros:

you are making it sound like you can't cut and solder cables to the desired length.

I am with dspellman on this.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Cathbard
Well, golden eared hifi nuts claim that solderless sound better because soldered joints have higher resistance. Personally, I think they are full of shit because there is solder all the way through the amp so how much difference can it really make?

Its those same morons that try to justify s**t like spending $10,000 for a 6 foot power cable.
Those aren't gonna make any f**king difference unless you also rewire your entire house with the same cable.
Not to mention the who knows how many miles of wire from the power plant to your house.
Soldered parts all the way through the amp is only a small part there.

Quote by SHOOTOUT!
Pros:

Thats really only a "Pro" if you can't do it with soldered cables.

I wouldn't trust solderless cables.
Its f**cking snake oil.
I always have and always will use a soldered cable between my guitars and my pedalboard, period. That being said, my entire pedalboard is done with Lava tightropes, solid copper core. They are the best cables I have ever used, by far. Just my two cents.
Quote by CodeMonk

Thats really only a "Pro" if you can't do it with soldered cables.

I wouldn't trust solderless cables.
Its f**cking snake oil.

Thats what I was trying to say only better phrased.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have Lava tightrope on my board right now. I still use a little bit of solder on them because it makes them more reliable and quicker to assemble. Haven't had one fail and it's been about a year. I take the board apart too so I'm pretty impressed with them!
George L sent me some samples a while back when I was considering endorsements, the 10ft and patch cable.
The patch cable didn't work out of the box, so I had to recrimp it, after that neither had any issues.
They're in my recording rig, and the 10ft is my "go to" recording cable and small jam cable as it is with a much smaller footprint.
I decided not to gig with these and got the Spectraflex endorsement back at the time as they felt more sturdy for the road. When a roadie walks a Marshall stack on stage and one of these gets tangled in the wheels, nothing happens, the George L gets cut as it is a much tinier cable. I just find different use for them. Signal levels and noise has been no issue with them, so really is just that the tinier cable is really easy to damage on stage.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 16, 2015,
Never tried them- I've heard enough complaints (like the ones in this thread) that I steered clear. They're generally dear enough that (here in europe anyway) you can just buy ready-made cables of the length you want for no more money, actually probably less.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Rather than making a new thread, let me ask this...

What is more important to signal strength, the plugs or the cable? If anything I'd like to just get better cable and keep my plugs. If cable, what cable would be recommended? I want to upgrade from my old hotwire stuff.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 17, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Rather than making a new thread, let me ask this...

What is more important to signal strength, the plugs or the cable? If anything I'd like to just get better cable and keep my plugs. If cable, what cable would be recommended? I want to upgrade from my old hotwire stuff.

Prefab gig-quality guitar cords are readily available for about $1 per foot. Stay under 15 ft and you will be fine. If you want lots of custom lengths get switchcraft ends and either Mogami or Belden cable. Spend an evening carefully soldering them and adding strain relief and you will have top quality cables that will last 20 years of gigs or more. If they fail just cut off the ends and re-solder.

I still use a handful of both guitar and mic cables I assembled in 1979. That is probably 1000 gigs or so. There is another handful in my repair box that I need to go through and fix but the cable and ends are fine. They always fail at the connection point due to getting yanked, or somebody trips over one on stage and pulls it apart.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
what do you mean by signal strength?

assuming you mean what i think you mean, the capacitance is really all that matters (both the cable and the connectors have capacitance).

or just use a good buffer which eliminates most of those problems.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?