So I just won myself a nice sorta-vintage seven-string from Ebay for only $90, an old Squier stagemaster (not my pic):

Obviously it needs work; the neck is cracked at the headstock, there are chips in the paint, and the electronics are likely horrid. But it's okay, I bought this with the intention of a custom-build project in mind.

Now I already picked out some pickups and I have wiring accessories and extra pots, but I need a decent neck. It's a 24 fret with what I ASSUME is a 25.5 based on info I've found online.

I already looked at Warmoth necks, I always liked what they stock but their seven string options are limited. All they have are the paddle headstocks which I'm too lazy to cut to custom shape.

The only other options I see are some cheap Ibanez necks on Ebay, and I've never cared for the look or feel of Ibanez stuff personally.

Who else sells good quality DIY necks made specifically for 7-stringers? Ones preferrably pre-finished with a defined headstock shape?
Last edited by Cherry Vulpine at Aug 14, 2015,
A late-90's Squier Stagemaster 7 isn't exactly 'vintage'

Getting a replacement neck that properly fits that guitar will be a ballache. Just because a guitar is a bolt-on doesn't mean that you can throw any old neck on the guitar and expect it to work. The headstock shape is on the bottom of your priority list.

The neck heel shape needs to perfectly fit the pocket in the body, and the neck needs to be correctly aligned on every axis for everything to work. Many guitars have their neck's heels in different places as one another, even if they share the same scale length. And if the heel of the neck isn't in exactly the right location, the guitar will be impossible to intonate.

If repairing the existing neck is not an option, then you'll need to find a Squier Stagemaster 7 neck unless you're willing to make extensive heel modifications to another neck. And that kind of work is no picnic to accomplish.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A late-90's Squier Stagemaster 7 isn't exactly 'vintage'

Getting a replacement neck that properly fits that guitar will be a ballache. Just because a guitar is a bolt-on doesn't mean that you can throw any old neck on the guitar and expect it to work. The headstock shape is on the bottom of your priority list.

The neck heel shape needs to perfectly fit the pocket in the body, and the neck needs to be correctly aligned on every axis for everything to work. Many guitars have their neck's heels in different places as one another, even if they share the same scale length. And if the heel of the neck isn't in exactly the right location, the guitar will be impossible to intonate.
I can understand this, but I've done neck replacements on guitars before and not run into issues, unless I got lucky with them. The first one was my dad's strat modification and the other was putting a Jackson RR3 neck on a Charvel Model 4 body. The latter is probably the best sounding guitar I currently own.

How would this one be more obscure than other guitars? It's merely a 24 fret Superstrat body but a 7 String.

EDIT: Went back and checked the pics, the heel is one of those weird curved ones. Guess that means it will have to be custom ordered.

Any alternatives to Warmoth, in essence a similar brand?
Last edited by Cherry Vulpine at Aug 15, 2015,
USA Custom Guitars. You can e-mail the exact specs needed and they will make it for you. I can't remember if they do reverse headstocks or not. Price will be in the Warmoth ballpark.
Since it's a custom guitar you want honestly I'd go all out anyways. I mean you've got new pickups and all. The necks extremely important. A lot of guitars in the 6 string realm are interchangable as long as you got say a 25.5 scaled neck to a 25.5 scaled neck for bolt ons. I'm sure there's more to it considering I'm more of an electronics guy

I find 7 strings are going to be expensive regardless as they are still gaining a lot of momentum. In my city there is 3-5 tops at any given time and we're talking a city of 2 or 3 million. All the 7 strings that sold in this shop my friend worked at were going to Europe. So what this means is that everything is going to be expensive. In fact the only thing I saw dirt cheap compared to 6 was on ebay this one seller a few years back had a bunch of 8 string original floyd roses (german not korean) for like 150-ish us dollar.

the way I see it is go big or go home perspective. If you could get a tech to route it for a 26.5 or a 27 scale neck pocket all the power to you as you'd be able to tune much lower without getting 13-74 gauge strings
Since it's a custom guitar you want honestly I'd go all out anyways. I mean you've got new pickups and all. The necks extremely important. A lot of guitars in the 6 string realm are interchangable as long as you got say a 25.5 scaled neck to a 25.5 scaled neck for bolt ons. I'm sure there's more to it considering I'm more of an electronics guy

I find 7 strings are going to be expensive regardless as they are still gaining a lot of momentum. In my city there is 3-5 tops at any given time and we're talking a city of 2 or 3 million. All the 7 strings that sold in this shop my friend worked at were going to Europe. So what this means is that everything is going to be expensive. In fact the only thing I saw dirt cheap compared to 6 was on ebay this one seller a few years back had a bunch of 8 string original floyd roses (german not korean) for like 150-ish us dollar.

the way I see it is go big or go home perspective. If you could get a tech to route it for a 26.5 or a 27 scale neck pocket all the power to you as you'd be able to tune much lower without getting 13-74 gauge strings

10mm tuner holes so any modern tuners will fit it
the nut is up to your guitars needs
stainless steel frets - they last like 20 years
raidus is important so see what the pros are to this and that
fretboard material is important, there is more than ebony and rosewood or maple
a 3 to 5 piece neck for strength
the wood finish is up to you - I like no finish but it can look weird after a while
I'd have a blank heel so you can drill your own holes
besides that it's esthetics like inlay material , type and color of the neck
Quote by Christopher!
USA Custom Guitars. You can e-mail the exact specs needed and they will make it for you. I can't remember if they do reverse headstocks or not. Price will be in the Warmoth ballpark.
I checked them out, but it doesn't seem like they specialize in 7 strings.

How would you go about determining other specifications aside from fret # and scale length? Like, how would heel position be determined?

Quote by Tallwood13

I don't really mind the 25.5 scale length (prefer it tbh).

And 7-strings have gained a ton of popularity recently with all of these Djent bands popping up and everyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon, but the ones who wanna do custom guitars on the web based on searches all wanna do vintage Strat or Les Paul builds.

Extended range doesn't seem very popular with the custom/DIY audience. =\
I've inquired with a few neck builders, none that have currently replied claim have info on this guitar. Finding info on this guitar is absolute hell as well (pretty much impossible).

Here's what I don't understand: if the neck fits in the pocket, has the correct scale length, and the frets are evenly aligned with the previous neck's position, what would be the issue? There are like 50 Ibanez necks for sale I know would fit with subtle mods done.

Even if it were half-a-centimeter off, what keeps it from being intonated via bridge adjustment? Those things look like they move far enough, and second I could even move the bridge myself if nessacary, I planned to do paint modifications anyway.

What numbers am I looking for when getting a guitar in proper intonation?
Quote by Cherry Vulpine
I've inquired with a few neck builders, none that have currently replied claim have info on this guitar. Finding info on this guitar is absolute hell as well (pretty much impossible).

Here's what I don't understand: if the neck fits in the pocket, has the correct scale length, and the frets are evenly aligned with the previous neck's position, what would be the issue? There are like 50 Ibanez necks for sale I know would fit with subtle mods done.

Even if it were half-a-centimeter off, what keeps it from being intonated via bridge adjustment? Those things look like they move far enough, and second I could even move the bridge myself if nessacary, I planned to do paint modifications anyway.

why don't you just get the headstock repaired? tons of peg heads are repaired everyday. why do you need a new neck because of a cracked headstock?

assuming a 25.5 scale and a strat with a non-trem bridge your string length compensation should be 25.25 +/-.030 measured from the fretboard side of the nut to the saddle height adjustment screws. different bridges will have different calculations but i went with standard strat spec.