I'm currently experimenting a bit in GP6, mostly with tabs from this UG. But when I try to listen into GP tabs of artists like Rise Against or Green Day, the guitar settings in GP never seem to sound even remotely like the guitars of the actual band.

I feel like the electric guitars sound in GP way too "brutal" and rough, I played around with effects, amps and EQs for a while, but I just can't seem to get a decent punk rock/pop punk guitar sound, a bit like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6CIX0dFVI.

Can anyone help me out there, somehow? Thanks a bunch!
A lot of the tabs are gp5/4 so they yeah.

Just find the sounds urself.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
If it really bothers you that much just play the song and mute guitar pro
hi
Quote by vfde213
If it really bothers you that much just play the song and mute guitar pro

Did you really bother typing that?
*Not entirely sure what the k00l kids put into their signatures these days*
Quote by niklas.engel.37 at #33549535

i mean this is the pit, i wouldn't exactly be expecting quality answers.
I frequently use the presents within the program, finding your own sound is no problem cos theres a lot of tweakability.

I'd still go for an indie rock, low gain sound because that one has a lot more definition to it.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
It's GuitarPro. It's not supposed to sound good.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
It's GuitarPro. It's not supposed to sound good.

Basically this, it is still an emulation program. It's like trying to get a decent string orchestra tone with a synth from the 80's-90's.
Quote by Guitar0player
Basically this, it is still an emulation program. It's like trying to get a decent string orchestra tone with a synth from the 80's-90's.

I know that. And I know it is not supposed to sound perfect. I was just hoping that there would be any possibility to make the guitars sound at least a bit smoother.
I've always believed that "punk" was an attitude, a state of mind. I was unaware that there were prescribed tones for how punk music is to be performed.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Zaphikh
I've always believed that "punk" was an attitude, a state of mind.

did u find this idea sitting next to a dumpster????
Quote by Eastwinn
did u find this idea sitting next to a dumpster????

Look, all I'm saying is that there is beauty in what niklas has told us.

Try as hard as he may to force his will upon a MIDI emulator - to create a "punk" tone that suits his fancy - GP6 glaringly reminds niklas that it will function on its own terms.

"Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me.
Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me.
Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!!"

- GP6
Quote by Zaphikh

Try as hard as he may to force his will upon a MIDI emulator - to create a "punk" tone that suits his fancy - GP6 glaringly reminds niklas that it will function on its own terms.

- GP6

You described it pretty well. But hey, it doesn't hurt asking someone who might know better than oneself, either it works and I think it doesn't or it doesn't work and I am not sure if it might work.
Quote by niklas.engel.37
You described it pretty well. But hey, it doesn't hurt asking someone who might know better than oneself, either it works and I think it doesn't or it doesn't work and I am not sure if it might work.

Your best bet would be to export the MIDI files into a VST program.
Quote by Zaphikh

- GP6

Sums up my experience with GP6.
Why does it even have to sound good, I thought it's just supposed to help you learn the song
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
Why does it even have to sound good, I thought it's just supposed to help you learn the song

Exactly. But I'd prefer it sounding closer to the original, especially when playing along. Or singing along. Or both. Whatever. I guess I was expecting a bit too much from GP6.
Quote by niklas.engel.37

Well apparently I did.

You won't get a punk sound in guitar pro so you might aswell put the real song on it
hi
Yeah that's just not gonna work no matter what you try. That's like uploading a MIDI file to synthesia and expecting it to sound exactly like a grand piano, just doesn't work that way.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
That's why I didn't stay with GP6. I tried it for a while and kept catching myself trying to tweak the settings to make it sound halfway decent and finally said fuck it and went back to GP5. GP6 sounds "almost" good and gives you enough settings to trick you into thinking it can sound good, but that area of "almost good" is just annoying. I found that I prefer GP5's not even trying to sound real, it just has the basic sound of "this is supposed to be distorted" or "this is supposed to be a mandolin" etc. which is really all I need out of it. I just use GP5 to help learn it and then I play along with the real song.

But now I sometimes run into the problem where the tab I want to look at is a .gpx file.

If I was to go back to GP6 again I would just try to set up an extremely basic light distortion sound and use it for everything distorted.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
That's why I didn't stay with GP6. I tried it for a while and kept catching myself trying to tweak the settings to make it sound halfway decent and finally said fuck it and went back to GP5. GP6 sounds "almost" good and gives you enough settings to trick you into thinking it can sound good, but that area of "almost good" is just annoying. I found that I prefer GP5's not even trying to sound real, it just has the basic sound of "this is supposed to be distorted" or "this is supposed to be a mandolin" etc. which is really all I need out of it.

That sounds pretty convenient actually. I'm gonna try GP5 later. I know that effects won't ever sound spot on in an emulator, but as long as not every setting sounds basically the same, I guess I could work with that. Thanks.