Hey all, I purchased an Epiphone PR4E new in late December of 2008. The serial number is 0811110264, meaning it was made in November of 2008, and made in factory #11. I've looked up factory #11, and all I've come up with is the Chinese factory for the Masterbilt series. Two problems with that: The sticker that was on the back of the headstock read "Made in Indonesia", and the PR4E is most definitely not part of the Masterbilt sereis.

I'm just curious about this and all, also thinking it might help others if we can figure it out

Sorry if this is the wrong forum
Quote by Aeizalt
Maybe it's a fake, from Indonesia.

Who'd fake an Epiphone? That's like making a knockoff Timex Ironman.

Not that there is anything wrong with them but might as well fake a Gibson and scam a lot more money, right?
@ OP:

There are different scenarios regarding your guitar. I've worked in a couple factories in the USA so here is my best guess.

The body of the guitar was assembled in the Chinese Epiphone factory. It was shipped to Indonesia and assembled with a neck/headstock that had been made in Indonesia. (Or alternatively perhaps ALL parts were shipped to Indonesia for assembly).

Best guess...your guitar is a mutt that was assembled a little in both countries. Are you having problems with it?
Quote by TobusRex
Who'd fake an Epiphone? That's like making a knockoff Timex Ironman...[ ]...
Oh, I dunno. I have a Casio that's looks similar to an Ironman. Although who knows, Casio might make the Ironman for Timex..
Quote by TobusRex
@ OP:

There are different scenarios regarding your guitar. I've worked in a couple factories in the USA so here is my best guess.

The body of the guitar was assembled in the Chinese Epiphone factory. It was shipped to Indonesia and assembled with a neck/headstock that had been made in Indonesia. (Or alternatively perhaps ALL parts were shipped to Indonesia for assembly).

Best guess...your guitar is a mutt that was assembled a little in both countries. Are you having problems with it?

nope, absolutely no issues with it, in fact, my father has the same guitar, a 2009, which was Made in China, and it just doesn't seem right to me. It also seems to lack the same quality mine has, for example, the finish on the binding on the underside of the neck has bubbles in it, and has a completely different feel
Quote by guitar42697
nope, absolutely no issues with it, in fact, my father has the same guitar, a 2009, which was Made in China, and it just doesn't seem right to me. It also seems to lack the same quality mine has, for example, the finish on the binding on the underside of the neck has bubbles in it, and has a completely different feel
Yeah well, MIC Epiphones over the years have developed a reputation for spotty QC.

I had a Epiphone 12 string from about 1997, and the neck was on at the wrong angle, (too high), and I was never able to get it setup correctly. Basically, it needed a neck reset right out of the box.

I can hear you thinking to yourself, "then why did this dummy buy that". Because, it was the only left handed model I ever saw, and the Washburns of the time, were way worse!

At any rate, the Samick produced contemporary models seem to have the QC issue way better under control, and people are starting to recommend their purchase.

I believe the Epi electrics are in large part, still MIC.

(Korean luthiers got themselves a raise, and some of the stuff coming out of Korea these days, is a bit above the price point at which Epiphone would like to remain.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 18, 2015,