Page 1 of 2
Hello everybody,

I'm planning to purchase my first electric guitar, and it's my first guitar at all.

I think I'm going to buy a Squier Affinity Stratocaster RW Surf Green (€200/$220)
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-affinity-stratocaster-rw-surf-green-gitaar

I like the deep sound of the Epiphone Les Paul as well, but I think I'm going for the clean sound of the squier. Should i go for the Epiphone Les Paul Special II instead? Like in the slash package?

http://www.keymusic.com/nl/item/epiphone-slash-afd-les-paul-special-ii-performance-pack/?gclid=CjwKEAjwxruuBRC9lLGslqjs-HISJAAkq21sCwzCbxQukrZ-ENnMLQGkelCnLubL7xaMWnOeVjsIfBoCFgnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.keymusic.com/nl/item/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-heritage-cherry-sunburst/?gclid=CjwKEAjwxruuBRC9lLGslqjs-HISJAAkq21sZ-cejqSqNlVllAqCsauwRQG8gZmGUDv0K7MHvnCA7RoCD9Tw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Should I buy a Cube 20GX or a Fender Mustang II ? Or something else?

Keep in mind I'm going to learn playing on this guitar, I'm 16 years old and I don't want to spent more than €400/$445 on my guitar/amp/etc.

Thanks!
Ferron

(The Netherlands)
Last edited by ferronalen at Aug 15, 2015,
Honestly I'd get a used Epi LP Standard and a used Peavey Vypir 30.
What do you play? Metal, rock etc.?

IMO the Cube is the better amp out of these two.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
You might want to consider a Yamaha Pacifica. For the money, new, it's hard to beat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I don't like music like AC/DC, etc. (I think I don't need the humbuckers)
I do like music like RHCP + famous solo's, clean sounds

Take a quick look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tR0cpN5qnI
Maybe not the best guitarist, but now you know what kind of sounds I like from a guitar.

I think it's the best for me (and my money) to buy that Squier Affinity Strat. (I really like the color
I'll visit a shop tomorrow and take a look at the different guitars. Maybe the shop owner could show me difference between the sounds of the models (LP, Strat, Tele)

To be clear, this wil be the first time I'm going to learn playing guitar.
It sounds like you have one in mind. I would try to buy used to save a little room for a decent amp. Whatever you do, I would pay them to make sure it's set up well. That will make a big difference
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Thing is, the gear someone like John Frusicante uses could very well be adjusted to put out tones that you'd consider more Deep Purple or even AC/DC or Guns n Roses than RHCP. Similarly, the guitars and amps used by, say, Adrian Smith and Dave Murray, Ritchie Blackmore or Malcolm Young could get you pretty close to RHCP.

Unless you're right at the extreme ends, or looking for absolutely perfect recreation(and if you want perfect, you'd best be prepared to spend tens of thousands of Euros), most gear is versatile enough to get you close enough.

Go to the store, try the Squiers(not just the one you like the colour of), try the Yamahas, try the Epiphones. And try them through the amp you're going to buy.

Make your decision on feel and on sound. It's a lot easier(and cheaper) to refinish a guitar that's a boring colour than to 'fix' a neck that you have to fight for every note.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Look at a used Squier Vintage Modern or Classic Vibe strat. They are much better than the affinity series.

This amp would be pretty nice also
www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub10.htm
or this and it is a bit cheaper
www.thomann.de/gb/vht_avsp16_special_6_valve.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
if you play more clean tones like RHCP you should go for a single coil guitar,but not an "affinity" squier,you should get at least the standart series,or this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar-103212932-i1147427.gc
it has two SC and one Humbucker,for more versatile tones.You're not gonna stay with clean tones forever,so you're going to want to replace the humbucker for a Good sounding Seymour Duncan.Also,it's a good looking guitar.
About the amp,that guy has the reason,I would go for the cube.
yeah that's a strat. if those are the tones you like, get a strat-style guitar (SSS).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always say to go try out guitars. When you play around, or even just hold them, sometimes it just clicks.

I still remember when I got my first guitar, a squire strat, such a good day haha.

I love your choice of colour of the strat too!
if he doesn't play at all yet it's kind of hard to try it out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can still tell a lot about a guitar, even if you've never played one, by going to the store and holding one. It especially makes a difference when you're buying budget instruments such as these where the quality varies more from one guitar to the next.

For instance, you can run your fingers along the sides of the neck/fretboard. Ideally you want it to feel smooth. Worst case scenario, you can be cut by poorly trimmed fret ends. More realistically, it'll be rough and unpleasant. It's good to find a guitar that feels smooth enough for you personally.

Another thing worth doing is playing every string and every fret. Let the notes ring out. Listen for buzz (a little is fine, but if the sound is dominated by buzz, avoid it.) Make sure the notes don't cut out abruptly and very shortly after plucking. Dead notes suggests poor fret leveling, which can be fixed, but it's not cheap.

Squier has stepped up their game in recent years, and they're pretty damn good starter instruments. Stock pickups aren't the be all end all of your tone either, especially with strats. With strats, the pickups are mounted to the pick guard, and the body is routed in one of several ways. In most cases, if I'm not mistaken, they're routed for Humbucker, Single coil, Humbucker. (google "strat hsh route.) In some cases, they have what is called a "swimming pool" route. (google up "strat swimming pool route.") These are the most versatile routes and allow you to slap a pickguard with any combination of pickup on it. (SSS, HSH, HSS, HHH, or any combo of pickup you can think.)

I think a strat of some sort is definitely right up your alley, and I don't think a Squier Affinity is a bad idea, provided you get one that is constructed well.
squier tele or strat and the mustang II. that amp has some really nice cleans, soft od and reverb and delays and stuff. maybe consider getting a squier jazzmaster/jaguar/mustang (AND A SETUP BECAUSE THEY CAN BE ANNOYING STOCK) instead of the tele or strat, as they sound really nice too clean and distorted. id also say dont listen to most people here because they have a shit taste in music.
Thanks for all those replies!

I'm going to buy an Squier Affinity Stratocaster Surf Green with a Fender Mustang I (v.2) amp. I decided that I'm not going to spent so much money on my first guitar and amp.

With that I need some accessoiries, like some picks, a cable, a stand, a capo and a guitar strap.

Are there some things I forgot?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if he doesn't play at all yet it's kind of hard to try it out.

He can't sit down and feel comfortability of the body or neck?
Have it set up with new strings. That's the main thing.... it has to be set up properly or nothing will play well.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Quote by ferronalen
Thanks for all those replies!

I'm going to buy an Squier Affinity Stratocaster Surf Green with a Fender Mustang I (v.2) amp. I decided that I'm not going to spent so much money on my first guitar and amp.

With that I need some accessoiries, like some picks, a cable, a stand, a capo and a guitar strap.

Are there some things I forgot?

You will need a tuner also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's always so fun to see how much people love these gear threads. People LOVE window shopping and offering gear advice

At OP: Go acoustic!
^ no don't do that, if he wants to play electric he should get an electric.

Quote by esky15
He can't sit down and feel comfortability of the body or neck?

he can feel how heavy it is and how well it balances but he can't really tell how it plays, no. it's a very poor proxy for trying the thing when you can play.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no don't do that, if he wants to play electric he should get an electric.

he can feel how heavy it is and how well it balances but he can't really tell how it plays, no. it's a very poor proxy for trying the thing when you can play.

Sure worked well for me.
ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ferronalen
Hello,
I can buy this '96 Taiwanese Squier Strat for €100. Should I buy this one or a new Affinity Stratocaster for €100 extra?

Fender Squier Stratocaster Strat red / rood - met tas
€ 150,00
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m950232082

Thanks

Don't buy an Affinity, get at least a Vintage Modified Squier or a G&L guitar.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I've chosen 5 guitars, but still don't know which one I should choose.

- Squier Affinity Stratocaster - SSS (Surf Green)
- Squier Affinity Stratocaster - HSS (Olympic White)
- Squier Standard Stratocaster - SSS (Cherry Sunburst)
- Yamaha Pacifica 112VMX - HSS (Naturel)
- Yamaha Pacifica 112V - HSS (Sonic Blue)

I hope somebody could give me some advise on choosing one of these guitars.

btw, I bought a Fender Mustang I (v2) amp and some accessories (stand, picks, cable). They should arrive today
the Yamaha Pacifica's are your best, safe choice if you can not try them first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah. though if SSS would suit his ideal sound more...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. though if SSS would suit his ideal sound more...

That's right. I decided that I'm going to buy a Squier guitar.

Now I have to choose which one, these three are in my price range.

- Squier Standard - SSS (Cherry Sunburst)

The Affinity's are €199 each and the price of the Standard is €279.
Quote by ferronalen
That's right. I decided that I'm going to buy a Squier guitar.

Now I have to choose which one, these three are in my price range.

- Squier Standard - SSS (Cherry Sunburst)

The Affinity's are €199 each and the price of the Standard is €279.

The standards are better, but I still rather go with the Pacifica unless you can find a Vintage Modern or Classic Vibe Squier, those are great values
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi, thanks for al those answers.

My budget is €290 because I don't want to spend to much on my first guitar ever. I just found out that a Squier Vintage Modified Strat has the same price as the Standard Strat. So I have to choose between these guitars:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-standard-stratocaster-cherry-sunburst-rw
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-51-stratocaster-vintage-blonde
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-3-color-sunburst
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-3-color-sunburst
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-black
http://www.bax-shop.nl/vaderdag/squier-standard-telecaster-vintage-blonde

I think I should go for a strat (SSS), because of the clean/bright tones I like.
So, Standard VS Vintage Modified. I guess VM wins?

Like I said; I like bright/clean tones and a little bit of a vintage sound when I'm going to play blues riffs, etc.
Quote by ferronalen
Okay, I decided that I'll buy an Squier with SSS configuration. My question was: Affinity vs Standard. But today I found out that a Squier Vintage Modified has the same price, so which one is better?

http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-standard-stratocaster-cherry-sunburst-rw
http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-black

The vintage modern is the best line Squier makes It would be my first choice. It has decent pickups that are made by Seymour Duncan. They have pretty nice necks also.

So I vote Vintage modified without question.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would always go Vintage Modified over Standard.

The VMs have nicer pickups, and as a rule I've always found they just feel more like a decent, professional instrument than the Standards. Also, they have one string tree rather than two, which I've always found is a pretty big help to tuning stability, even if it's just about the easiest possible change to make to a standard anyway
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 29, 2015,
yeah a squier or a epiphone are great starter guitars. my recommendation is to test it first in guitar center. those guitars can vary a lot from model to model or from guitar to guitar.

i second the peavey vipyr. roland cubes are solid bedroom solid state amps.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly
The vintage modern is the best line Squier makes

(Serious question, I haven't tried either )

I always heard the classic vibes were?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I would certainly say Classic Vibe, which are the slightly higher price point, but the two ranges together are the ones that really stand out from the Squier range and similarly priced instruments from other brands.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Thanks.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

well it depends on what you want, the VM is more modern (pickups) the CV is more old-school but I'd say they are pretty even
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ah yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2