I don't think there is any tuning that would for any reason be "not suitable" for electric - everything can work and sound cool as long as you come up with interesting leads/melodies with it. From the high-gain universe, Opeth did the Ghost Reveries album mostly in DADFAE (open Dm9 if I recall correctly), and it sounds amazing and quite unique. Also, I think Monuments used some low, DADGAD-like 7-string tunings for djenty stuff and I really enjoyed what I heard.

I'm mostly Eb standard on 6-string and drop A on 7, as I tried experimenting with some open tunings and never came up with anything interesting, but encountered plenty of bands using really unusual tunings with great results.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
I don't think there is any tuning that would for any reason be "not suitable" for electric

While I agree that there are no tunings that would be suitable to an acoustic that wouldn't be suitable to electric, I would tend to think that very closely voiced tunings, such as those commonly used with steel guitars, and particularly diatonic tunings, would not be suitable for any Spanish style guitar. Same with certain tunings that require very high open strings... like a high B that would be needed for a proper all fifths tuning (CGDAEB).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Devin Townsend has done quite well with open C (CGCGCE) and I've used a variation on it of open Csus2 (CGCGCD) that I picked up from a band called The Tea Party. Actually looking through their catalogue might prove useful as they tend to use more exotic open tunings for both electric and acoustic with some great results.

I believe Monuments and Tesseract as well use a DADGAD tuning down a half step on 7 strings (AbDbAbDbGbAbDb)
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG)- evolved from all-5ths- sounds perfectly awesome on electrics.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think stuff like this is largely dependent on your playing style. To elaborate on what TheLiberation was saying, Tesseract tune their 7 strings in DADGAD, but tuned down whatever (Bb on their first album) with an added fifith on the high string, but some times they droptune the low string by a step for certain songs. In other words:

Bb F Bb Eb F Bb Eb
Ab F Bb Eb F Bb Eb

Periphery use a number of interesting tunings for their different songs:

6 String:
C G C F A D (Drop C) - e.g. All New Materials
Bb G C F A D - e.g. Totla Mad
A G C F A D - e.g. Zyglrox
C G C E G D - e.g. Scarlet

7 String:
Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (Drop Ab) - e.g. Icarus Lives
Gb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Ragnarok
Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Racecar
Db Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Hell Below

No wonder they have so many guitars!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 15, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
While I agree that there are no tunings that would be suitable to an acoustic that wouldn't be suitable to electric, I would tend to think that very closely voiced tunings, such as those commonly used with steel guitars, and particularly diatonic tunings, would not be suitable for any Spanish style guitar. Same with certain tunings that require very high open strings... like a high B that would be needed for a proper all fifths tuning (CGDAEB).

That's practicality though, I don't think TS is talking about what the strings will allow so much as the notes that the guitar ends up with. Which I think we can agree is entirely dependent on how you use it more than anything else, right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Emperor's Child
I think stuff like this is largely dependent on your playing style. To elaborate on what TheLiberation was saying, Tesseract tune their 7 strings in DADGAD, but tuned down whatever (Bb on their first album) with an added fifith on the high string, but some times they droptune the low string by a step for certain songs. In other words:

Bb F Bb Eb F Bb Eb
Ab F Bb Eb F Bb Eb

Periphery use a number of interesting tunings for their different songs:

6 String:
C G C F A D (Drop C) - e.g. All New Materials
Bb G C F A D - e.g. Totla Mad
A G C F A D - e.g. Zyglrox
C G C E G D - e.g. Scarlet

7 String:
Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (Drop Ab) - e.g. Icarus Lives
Gb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Ragnarok
Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Racecar
Db Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb - e.g. Hell Below

No wonder they have so many guitars!

Yep, forgot about TesseracT too. Them and Monuments are both bands I found really interesting but somehow haven't got into them yet.

Periphery is another story though, yeah. Hell Below is the best one, you forgot to mention that this is Db AN OCTAVE DOWN though
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
Yep, forgot about TesseracT too. Them and Monuments are both bands I found really interesting but somehow haven't got into them yet.

It's worth checking out Fellsilent as well, Acle from TesseracT and Browne from Monuments were in Fellsilent together before the other projects took over.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.