I am trying to wire a HH strat I have to have a tone control that cuts bass in addition to the normal one that cuts highs. I am wondering if there is a special potentiometer that I need to use in the high pass filter. Also any wiring schematics or tips would be great.
I also have a seymour duncan triple shot if that changes anything.
yeah you'll need the fender tbx , this is a schematic i'd go by. The pot is called a blend pot by the way. I'll write some more detail to help you though as i got some time to kill.

some reason this link doesn't want to show as an image but it's from the seymour duncan forum.
(Invalid img)

so how does a blend pot work?
well it's a stacked potentiometer. There are two resistances in the fender one. 250k and 1m (1000k) both of which are sensitivity. Your alternative is a Concentric potentiometer but with concentric they are more expensive but you'd have independent tone controls. Sort of like how I wire my strats. Resistances for both parts of the pot are just sensitivity so if you want to use a chinese blend pot go for it just make sure it's for guitars as the shaft length has to be a certain length, 15mm or higher if memory serves me right.

so what the TBX does is
0 - 4.9 - cuts treble , your classic tone control
5 - no effect. Since no capacitors in the way you get a clearer sound arguably
5.1 - 10 - fenders greasebucket mod - it cuts bass , tightens the lows and eliminates muddiness which is great for hot pickups

to use the TBX properly have it at 5 unless you want to shape your tone. You'll know you're at 5 as the pot gets kind of stiffer. It's hard to describe but you will once you start using it.

in the diagram
the bottom rows wiper (middle contact) - goes to the commons of your selector so the two 0's ... that or solder a wire across 1/3/5 of the 2nd pole of your selector

ground is ground, it never changes in any diagram. It's a trail out of the guitar

my tips on doing the "super tbx" are simple
the wiper (middle contact) on the top row to the bottom right contact you can use a capacitor or resistor lead

my biggest tip is to NOT tin contacts on the blend pot before you start. Usually this is how I solder everything.. but.. since a lof of the contacts have two components or wires in them the idea is to put them all in BEFORE and then solder them in it'll save you a lot of time.

I'd say get the fender one it's about 10$ American guitarelectronics.com has it I believe to just about any fender dealer. The good news is the components are dirt cheap to get from thailand and you only need like one of each so even an electronics surplus store would have these.

the capacitor values are
0.1uf
0.022uf
0.001uf capacitor
4.7k - 1/4 watt metal foil resistor
220k - 1/4 watt resistor

the classic fender TBX is slightly different but apparently this ones better. I've actually got a strat pickguard on ebay just like it I'm selling. Haven't tested it but this diagram my friend who is a professional guitar tech swore by to the point he put one in one of his personal guitars. I'm a fan of the bass cut by itself or the mid scoop/boost.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 15, 2015,
There are tone controls that passively cut highs (a treble rolloff, which we ordinarily call a "tone control"). Others that passively cut lows, either centered on a given frequency or on a shelving basis. Others that cut mids (usually centered on a fixed frequency).

There are also controls that allow you to sweep the frequencies over a limited area and that will cut a specific amount.

There are also active controls that will allow you to cut and/or boost treble, mids or bass at a given frequency (the middle position "5" is usually about where you'd be if you dimed the passive version of these controls) by up to 15 dB in each direction.

And then there are active sweepable controls that will allow you to boost a fixed amount, but which allow you to vary the frequency center of that boost (especially in the mids). Think of this one as a parked wah.

A Triple Shot changes nothing.
Quote by 70001407
I am trying to wire a HH strat I have to have a tone control that cuts bass in addition to the normal one that cuts highs. I am wondering if there is a special potentiometer that I need to use in the high pass filter. Also any wiring schematics or tips would be great.
I also have a seymour duncan triple shot if that changes anything.

Interesting. I had active tone control in my SG for a while but never liked it. You can design any circuit you want and put it in the guitar but a simpler solution might be to add an active para EQ pedal that does what you want with a footswitch to engage/disengage. That would be my choice for a low cut circuit.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY