So I recently purchased a TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal, to add a little something to the mediocre cleans of my 6505+ 112. I've finally dialed in a clean tone that I'm happy with and the reverb in front of the amp tightens up the cleans just like I need it to.

Except the other night I went to try the FX loop on the 6505+ 112, and it is complete garbage, it adds a terrible treble spike and almost completely colors the natural tone of the amps gain. So that rules out using the reverb with any distortion. I primarily bought the reverb for the cleans, so it's not too big of a deal to me, I'm even gonna buy a delay (possibly a DD3) sometime in the future.

But I was wondering, running the reverb/delay in front of the amp for cleans ONLY is fine, right? I don't notice anything weird happening when it's running in front, just wanted to know what the general consensus was of running time-based pedals in front, I know it's standard practice to run those through the FX loop, but in this case I can't.
It should be fine, especially with cleans - with gain the reverb/delay might sound slightly more messy that way as it's the repeats that get distorted rather than the distorted notes getting repeated, but with cleans it should sound almost identical. I haven't done A/B tests or anything, but I did that on a small amp with no FX loop and it sounded fine.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by KaneIsRaw13
So I recently purchased a TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal, to add a little something to the mediocre cleans of my 6505+ 112. I've finally dialed in a clean tone that I'm happy with and the reverb in front of the amp tightens up the cleans just like I need it to.

Except the other night I went to try the FX loop on the 6505+ 112, and it is complete garbage, it adds a terrible treble spike and almost completely colors the natural tone of the amps gain. So that rules out using the reverb with any distortion. I primarily bought the reverb for the cleans, so it's not too big of a deal to me, I'm even gonna buy a delay (possibly a DD3) sometime in the future.

But I was wondering, running the reverb/delay in front of the amp for cleans ONLY is fine, right? I don't notice anything weird happening when it's running in front, just wanted to know what the general consensus was of running time-based pedals in front, I know it's standard practice to run those through the FX loop, but in this case I can't.

For cleans only yes, its fine, if you use gain the delay will still be alright but reverb is a different story, or atleast it was for me.
I can help you fix the FX loop if you dont mind doing a little soldering. You just need to tack on a certain capacitor to a certain resistor and the fx loop magically doesnt cut bass and add fizz. The best part is that the capacitor costs less than a dollar.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood