I want it but I couldn't find many reviews, and the ones I did find were mixed. I play Metallica style metal.
Sure, all Jackson X series are. Neck-through, EMGs, FR Special. A bit pricier for the specs but you can't go wrong with one for metal.
budget?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
I played one the other day.

Not a bad guitar, but I'm not a huge fan of the FR Special. Replace the saddles (which are zinc, and are too soft) with OFR saddles and you're good to go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 17, 2015,
I just got it and I have to say: terrible decision. This thing feels like a prop guitar. It's looks nice but the neck doesn't feel good at all, the whammy bar can't do divebombs well, I can barely reach the 24th fret because of the stupid spike on the side, and I just hate this Floyd rose tremolo locking crap.

I could forgive all that if it at least sounded good. 81 and 85 EMG's are supposed to sound good? The distortion sounds muddy and has no bite or crunch. My $200 B.C. Rich Warlock with the factory bdsm pickups sound way better, and I'm not trolling at all, not even a little.

The only good thing I can say is that the cleans sound a little bit better. Why can't I get the tone from the videos on Youtube? Am I doing something wrong?
Quote by Ray Harrison
I just got it and I have to say: terrible decision. This thing feels like a prop guitar. It's looks nice but the neck doesn't feel good at all, the whammy bar can't do divebombs well, I can barely reach the 24th fret because of the stupid spike on the side, and I just hate this Floyd rose tremolo locking crap.

I could forgive all that if it at least sounded good. 81 and 85 EMG's are supposed to sound good? The distortion sounds muddy and has no bite or crunch. My $200 B.C. Rich Warlock with the factory bdsm pickups sound way better, and I'm not trolling at all, not even a little.

The only good thing I can say is that the cleans sound a little bit better. Why can't I get the tone from the videos on Youtube? Am I doing something wrong?

Are you the guy who thinks that Agiles feel like toys? Now Jacksons feel like props. And you don't want us to think of your post as trolling?
Quote by dthmtl3
Are you the guy who thinks that Agiles feel like toys? Now Jacksons feel like props. And you don't want us to think of your post as trolling?

You have me confused with someone else. And that's just my opinion, maybe you have a different one. And it could be something else entirely, which was what I was asking.
Necks are personal opinion, and I don't know anything about the 24th fret access as I haven't played one myself even though it looks ok.

I'm not a fan of EMGs either though, and I'd expect issues from a Floyd Rose Special. The website assures me you can get them with Duncans though, so as-long as you like how the guitar plays, the hardware can be upgraded.
Alright, lets assume you're serious, just for the lulz:

"This thing feels like a prop guitar" -- don't know what that means, can you elaborate?

"the neck doesn't feel good at all" -- it's subjective of course but a lot of us enjoy the Jackson neck shape, it's comfortable and fast.

"the whammy bar can't do divebombs well" -- are you sure it's not the operator or the setup?

"I can barely reach the 24th fret because of the stupid spike on the side" -- ??? Are you trying to reach over the horn for some reason? Because Kelly/Warrior offer the best neck access around. Just put your hand between the neck and horn.

"I just hate this Floyd rose tremolo locking crap" -- what about it do you hate? If you don't want to lock the nut, don't lock it, or just remove the screws and the blocks. You could have gotten a Kelly without the tremolo.

"81 and 85 EMG's are supposed to sound good?" -- to some they do, to some they don't. It depends on your amp more than on the pickups.

"Why can't I get the tone from the videos on Youtube? Am I doing something wrong?" -- which videos and why do you want to sound like a youtube video? And why do you blame the guitar?
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by dthmtl3

No, that's me. I like Jacksons. I own one.

Hell, I almost bought a KEXMG - I really liked it. Felt good, sounded good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 20, 2015,
can't say that i have a kelly but i have a rrxmg. same x series gruppo as the kelly though. i'm really happy with mine. the kelly has a bit more wood to it and is more suitable for couch shredding though. played through a rectifier the emg's sound super tight imo. very good for death/thrash/speed metal. the floyd special works well. just replace stuff if and when it wears out with floyd parts from the source and you will be fine.

do try out the exact one you are going to buy though if you can -jackson's (as well as every other guitar) can vary a bit. i discovered with my rhoads that like only one in five did it for me and the one that did, was the one i bought. your experience may differ.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 20, 2015,
Quote by dthmtl3
Alright, lets assume you're serious, just for the lulz:

"This thing feels like a prop guitar" -- don't know what that means, can you elaborate?

"the neck doesn't feel good at all" -- it's subjective of course but a lot of us enjoy the Jackson neck shape, it's comfortable and fast.

"the whammy bar can't do divebombs well" -- are you sure it's not the operator or the setup?

"I can barely reach the 24th fret because of the stupid spike on the side" -- ??? Are you trying to reach over the horn for some reason? Because Kelly/Warrior offer the best neck access around. Just put your hand between the neck and horn.

"I just hate this Floyd rose tremolo locking crap" -- what about it do you hate? If you don't want to lock the nut, don't lock it, or just remove the screws and the blocks. You could have gotten a Kelly without the tremolo.

"81 and 85 EMG's are supposed to sound good?" -- to some they do, to some they don't. It depends on your amp more than on the pickups.

"Why can't I get the tone from the videos on Youtube? Am I doing something wrong?" -- which videos and why do you want to sound like a youtube video? And why do you blame the guitar?

1. When I say prop I mean it's looks nice but doesn't sound or play that great.
2. I don't know what my problem was with because trying it out now I think it's ok.
3. I don't know anything about operators or set-ups but the thing is brand new, and after seeing the whammy on an Ibanez rg270, this is a step down. Anyway help on this matter would be appreciated.
4. I must have big hands or something because I literally have to twist my fingers at an angle to reach the 24th fret, because the horn gets in the way.
5. I wanted a guitar with a whammy bar but I didn't know the Floyd rose would make it such a pain to string and tune.
6. All I know is this tone sucks, and I can get way better with my B.C. Rich Warlock on the same amp.
7. I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8AAcNAK7_g
If you guys would tell me how to upload videos from my phone to the internet I'll gladly show you what it sounds like.
upload to youtube and link over.

sometimes there are just dud guitars. i got a charvel that was just terrible a long time ago.

i also think that there could be operator error. floyds are a NIGHTMARE if you don't know what you are doing. if you are staying in the same tuning, and the same string gauge they require little more effort than any other guitar, but if you don't know how to properly set it up, prepare for disappointment. get it set up properly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Since you just got it and it's brand new you may want to change strings and do a complete setup. I'd also replace the battery just in case. Floyds aren't fun to deal with, until they're setup up properly, then you're good to go. Do you have your thumb over the neck while you're trying to play high notes?
Quote by xcamero360 at #33560332
1. When I say prop I mean it's looks nice but doesn't sound or play that great.
2. I don't know what my problem was with because trying it out now I think it's ok.
3. I don't know anything about operators or set-ups but the thing is brand new, and after seeing the whammy on an Ibanez rg270, this is a step down. Anyway help on this matter would be appreciated.
4. I must have big hands or something because I literally have to twist my fingers at an angle to reach the 24th fret, because the horn gets in the way.
5. I wanted a guitar with a whammy bar but I didn't know the Floyd rose would make it such a pain to string and tune.
6. All I know is this tone sucks, and I can get way better with my B.C. Rich Warlock on the same amp.
7. I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8AAcNAK7_g

The problems you're talking about sound like the Kelly you tried just wasn't set up right. Floyds can be a pain in the ass to set up because of the way they're designed. But once they're set up correctly, they stay in tune better than any other vibrato system on the market. I fail to see how the guitar not being set up properly is the fault of the guitar itself, but rather the fault of who set it up.

Also, the amp you're using matters so, so much more than the amp does when it comes to tone. The reason the guitar sounds like crap in that demo is because the amp sucks. Not the guitar. There's nothing in the guitar's specs that sticks out at me as being objectively bad. What you experienced (if what you;re saying is true) could simply be fixed by replacing the 9V battery. EMG's sound very weak and get noisy when the battery is dying.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by ad_works
a highly informative and educational clip taken with a cell phone and an unknown amp. what are we supposed to do with that?

My amp is a Peavey Vypr 30 and I don't have any recording equipment. Tell me how to save this guitar's life and I will do it.
here you state that:

"2. I don't know what my problem was with because trying it out now I think it's ok."

several posts later it's "crap". so imo a complete set up by a good tech will go a long way towards helping you decide which it is.

i realize that not all guitars work well with all amps but you have a modeling amp and you should be able to dial in something decent. i'm strictly a house player these days and i use a old flextone 2 plus set to emulate the 95' mesa dual rectifier head and a line six 412 cab plus a couple of knob tweaks. and if i do say so, satan himself would bestow upon me a kingdom in hell for my drop tuned tone. ime, emg's need a little more "beef" dialed into the settings.

if after your have it looked at you still don't like it then sell it.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 21, 2015,
Learn how to set your guitar up properly. Don't take the guitar to a tech. There are thousands of guides on Google that'll show you how to set up a Floyd Rose. No point paying lots of money for some incompetent hack at Guitar Center to make your guitar play even worse and then charge 50 bucks for it, when you can set up the guitar however you like for free with only a little knowhow. I don't mean this to sound condescending, but not knowing how to set up your own guitar is a little bit embarrassing. It's something you should already know how to do.

Replace the battery in the pickups.

And getting a better amp is always a good idea.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 21, 2015,