Hey guys, how's it going?

I just recently bought this guitar and it today from FedEx.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SCE-OMEN6-BLK

I also bought this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00113HVPW/ref=sr_ph_1?m=A2O1A8NNN5Y1TU&ie=UTF8&qid=1439692693&sr=sr-1&keywords=blackout+bridge+pickup

I am trying to go for a hard metal sound but apparently the pickups I have are passive and It says on the blackout installation guide not to mix passive / active.

What should I do now? I'm stuck... I'm not sure if i should return the guitar or what... It says it can be very problematic... any and all help would be appreciated, thank you!
It should come with the components you need. Just disconnect the neck pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well hardly anyone i know uses both pickups at the same time , try them both in the same guitar and see how it goes. If we get the tones we want who is to say we are wrong. I mean the guys I know they use the bridge and the neck , never in between. I do get the anomaly who does just like guys who use the tone control. I mean what is worst pairing an active like a bare knuckle warpig with a vintage 4k single coil or an active and a passive. it's not like the amps going to blow up give it a shot.

remember though
for pots
25k = active
500k = humbucker passive

the only monotony i see is that you'd have night and day amp presets so if you got pedals or presets on your laptop or say a guitar processor you'll clearly have use for them to switch between them.

I love blackouts , but the JB , black winter , custom (maybe) , distortion or invader for example worked just as great.

in regards to wiring yeah basic two volume blackout wiring just no red wire coming from the passive pickup and you'll be fine but again remember to have a 500k pot for the passive pickup volume or there may not be enough treble.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 15, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
well hardly anyone i know uses both pickups at the same time , try them both in the same guitar and see how it goes. If we get the tones we want who is to say we are wrong. I mean the guys I know they use the bridge and the neck , never in between. I do get the anomaly who does just like guys who use the tone control. I mean what is worst pairing an active like a bare knuckle warpig with a vintage 4k single coil or an active and a passive. it's not like the amps going to blow up give it a shot.

remember though
for pots
25k = active
500k = humbucker passive

the only monotony i see is that you'd have night and day amp presets so if you got pedals or presets on your laptop or say a guitar processor you'll clearly have use for them to switch between them.

I love blackouts , but the JB , black winter , custom (maybe) , distortion or invader for example worked just as great.

in regards to wiring yeah basic two volume blackout wiring just no red wire coming from the passive pickup and you'll be fine but again remember to have a 500k pot for the passive pickup volume or there may not be enough treble.

Ok, I'm not that guitar technical, could you dumb it down? Try it anyway? I'm mostly going to be playing metal but i do want to be able to mess around and play lighter stuff. Should I just get another active pickup for the neck?
basically my understanding is that the guitar comes with passive pickups. the seymour duncan pickups that you have brought are active's. it means that you need a 9 volt battery to power the pickup.
guitars that generally come with active pickups have a battery compartment where the 9 volt goes.

check out the back image of the kh-2. it should give you an idea.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-kh-2-kirk-hammett-signature-series-electric-guitar
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier