My strat went through a few transformations over the past few months.

Bought it stock, then immediately furnished it with Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge and SSL-1 in neck and middle.

Shortly after I turned it into an HSS: the SSL-5's place was taken by a Duncan SH-8 Invader. SSL-1's stayed in the neck and middle. Volume pot was changed from 250k to 500k, with resistors for neck and middle to lower the pot to about 250k. With this setup, it sounds great, I mostly use either the Bridge alone for heavier stuff, or position 4 (neck + middle) for just about anything else. There is volume mismatch, but that doesn't usually bother me.

Roll forward to nowadays: I decided I want to change all pickups. Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge (supposed to be tighter than the Invader which gets muddy quickly), and I'll put Duncans SSL-5 in both neck and middle.

Already ordered the hardware, and for the SSL-5's I got in the tapped versions, and one of them in a RWRP winding (for the middle).

So far my plan is to wire a DPDT switch, which will turn on/off the SSL-5 tap for both neck and middle at the same time. My plan is to retain 500k pot for volume (no resistors this time as the SSL-5 is said to be dark anyway, so I want to let some more highs in), and also change both tone pots to 500k as well. The pot for the middle will also affect the bridge.

So, do you think this will sound half decent?
Last edited by corsara at Aug 16, 2015,
if a pickup gets too muddy try a bass cut mod such as the fender greasebucket i mention it on here all the time. The invader is an excellent example of this.

perhaps the Fender TBX tone control you'd like it's a bass and treble cut (classic tone) , usually I'd pair this with a mid scoop and boost and have a 7 way mod on a 3 pickup guitar and this or that.

see how it works for you before dropping 50-100$ on the new pickup. the greasebuckets dirt cheap to do and i've mentioned it countless times on this forum.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 16, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
if a pickup gets too muddy try a bass cut mod such as the fender greasebucket i mention it on here all the time. The invader is an excellent example of this.

perhaps the Fender TBX tone control you'd like it's a bass and treble cut (classic tone) , usually I'd pair this with a mid scoop and boost and have a 7 way mod on a 3 pickup guitar and this or that.

see how it works for you before dropping 50-100$ on the new pickup. the greasebuckets dirt cheap to do and i've mentioned it countless times on this forum.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Wish I saw it earlier, but I already ordered all pickups a couple of days ago (eBay), so there's no way going back. However, your post made me look up things and educate myself some more, thanks!