This should be a fairly simple question but what type of microphone do you guys use/recommend for home recording of a cab? I live in an apartment so I use a small 1X12 cab to keep the noise down and I'm looking to record thrash/melodic death metal type stuff. The head I use is the EVH 5150iii so I want a mic decent enough to capture the high gain and punch of my tone. Any input is appreciated.
Budget?

Do you have an interface/monitoring equipment sorted out yet?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Most people will generally recommend the shure sm57. Theyre affordable and they get the job done. Sometimes I use a Shure Beta57a, but that mic is generally more expensive
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I'm currently using the PreSonus Audiobox USB as my interface and as far as my budget, I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.
Quote by cthomas1020
I'm currently using the PreSonus Audiobox USB as my interface and as far as my budget, I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.

You probably don't need to spend a couple hundred. Try out the usual SM57 and/or a Sennheiser e609 (or 906?). The Sennheiser MD421 gets great thick guitar tones, but is a bit pricey.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Yeah, for that money I'd sure get an SM57.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.