Hello. I have been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months and want to purchase an electric guitar in the near future. I want to give myself a year of playing and taking lessons and really stick to it before I drop some dough on an electric package. I love fenders (teles and strats) (squiers maybe?) G&L's, and also love the way some semi-hollow's look and sound. there are a number of guitar stores around town, one i especially like that sells G&L's and squiers and the manager said he could make me a package. Buying a stat pack or tele pack seems like a cheap option, but maybe a low quality one. Any advice, I want something that is going to keep me motivated and last a long time! But I can't empty my bank account. Any advice would be cool. I love the blues and classic rock, popular music, etc. Let me know.
Don't buy the "packs"- be patient and wait until you have saved enough money to buy discrete components. You will be MUCH better off.

Also, G&Ls are an EXCELLENT option beyond the usual Fenders, Squiers, Gibsons or Epiphones.

In addition, consider used gear- good way to stretch your budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 16, 2015,
Who here has experience with G&Ls??? I would consider any of their models, especially the ASAT Classic or S500, HELP ME OUT!
The best starter guitar in my opinion is a guitar with a humbucker with coil split in the bridge (a feature that you or a tech can add yourself). The kind of guitar is up to you, matter of going to the store and try out different body types. If you're into a certain body type we can advise you what to buy and what to avoid, both guitars and amp. If you want to stay low on budget, I would check out the Squier Vintage Modified series. They're supposed to be good. Given my early advise and my preference of a stratocaster, I would be looking at a HSS stratocaster.

I have no experience with G&L, but they are good, according to the internet. And indeed, avoid starter packs.

For amps, years ago I suggested a Roland Cube to a friend who started playing. He still has it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by mitche27
Who here has experience with G&Ls??? I would consider any of their models, especially the ASAT Classic or S500, HELP ME OUT!

I have an ASAT Deluxe carved top, and it is a super solid guitar. The G&L tribute series uses the USA hardware and electronics so your getting good stuff.

I really can't say enough good about it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have an ASAT Deluxe carved top, and it is a super solid guitar. The G&L tribute series uses the USA hardware and electronics so your getting good stuff.

I really can't say enough good about it.

They are not expensive either: click
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
If I was buying my first cheap gear I would get a Micro Cube from Roland and a Squier Strat. You'll always find a use for the Micro Cube even after you upgrade to a better amp( parties, low volume practicing, portable speaker etc.).
^ yeah or a vox mini3 for the same reason as the microcube

there's a g&l thread where all the uncritical fanboys regulars who like G&Ls hang out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awesome guys! There is a local shop here in Oregon that sells G&Ls, so I think I may just save for a bit and have the manager put together a package for me. The only thing I am hung up on is I love a classic Fender tele or strat, but these seem very comparable, just dont get the name, ya?
Go with your gut. If you can see yourself with a Fender Strat, then pick up a MIM strat. they're really good guitars and I think you'd be happy with it for a long time. I've made the mistake of trying to go with the "reasonable" choice or get the best value, but at the end of the day, it's far more important to have a strong connection with your guitar. Even if that means going with the brand name.
I've played a few used road-worn strats that felt great and played very well. I also owned a MIM strat that I was very happy with for a few years until I decided I had to have a Floyd Rose. A couple of my guitar heroes, Will Ray and John Jorgenson, and Jerry Cantrell all played G&L guitars.
If you have the chance, play them all and decide which one FEELS the best when you play it. It can look great on your wall, but you should be drawn to pick it up and play it whenever you're around it. Otherwise, it's just an ornament.
Quote by mitche27
Awesome guys! There is a local shop here in Oregon that sells G&Ls, so I think I may just save for a bit and have the manager put together a package for me. The only thing I am hung up on is I love a classic Fender tele or strat, but these seem very comparable, just dont get the name, ya?

Well seeing as Leo Fender started both Fender and G&L there are some similarities.
G&L stands for George (Fullerton)& Leo (Fender)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate