So I've had this Memphis Les Paul since last November and I love it! It's the best guitar I've ever owned or played and it is my favorite of all of my guitars. But I've been wondering this lately, where was it made and when? I've done some research on it and from the research I've done, it looks like 1970's or 80's but I'm not sure. There is no serial number. On the neckplate it says LP100F and the headstock has a sticker that reads: Coast F/A with 16041 below it. What do those numbers mean? Any info would be much appreciated. I can't post a pic of it because it says the file is too large. But it is the tobacco burst model.
Imported from Asia starting in 1969, bolt on necks made in Korea. I've seen and played dozens in pawn shops, they were pretty common at one time. Don't see many these days. Some were pretty good guitars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Guitars

Not much info available online, mostly other people looking for info...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Thanks Paleo Pete. Yeah mine has a bolt on neck so it must be made in Korea then. It's a pretty good guitar, sounds even better than it looks too!
Quote by lespaullover96
I can't post a pic of it because it says the file is too large.

TinyPic, set resize to message board, and upload the link with the proper extension (.jpg/.png) in (Invalid img) brackets

Curious about the looks of your guitar now.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Memphis had several different levels of quality. Their best MIJ set neck guitars rivaled Gibsons finest at the time. Their entry level guitars were nearly unplayable. It sounds like your guitar lies somewhere in between the two extremes. The knowledge and pedigree of Memphis guitars is approaching zero so there isn't much more to know. If it feels good and sounds good, it is good.

I have a Memphis MIJ 335 knockoff that I bought new in 1979. It is still a fine guitar to this day with hundreds of gigs logged. It has no serial # and no other pedigree so market value is probably about $500 at best. Maybe a bit more to a real fan of 70s Memphis.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 17, 2015,
That's a cool looking guitar
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.