i have a Epi Firebird vii From 1999. today the neck pickup produced no sound. is there any way to tell is its a broken pot or a broken pickup or just old wire
Owned:
Fender Pawn Shop Jagurillo
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone EJ200CE
1999 Epiphone firebird VII
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Last edited by jonnyspace50 at Aug 16, 2015,
Could also be a bad switch. I fact, I'd say that's the most likely culprit. Open it up and inspect all the wiring connections. If it appears everything is in place, then take some electrical contact cleaner and give the switch a bath. Work it back and forth before the solvent evaporates.

If that doesn't work you can always temporarily wire the pickup direct bypassing the switch. That will eliminate one more possibility.
Quote by TheGroundZero
Could also be a bad switch. I fact, I'd say that's the most likely culprit. Open it up and inspect all the wiring connections. If it appears everything is in place, then take some electrical contact cleaner and give the switch a bath. Work it back and forth before the solvent evaporates.

If that doesn't work you can always temporarily wire the pickup direct bypassing the switch. That will eliminate one more possibility.

where do you get contact cleaner, it might help to say the neck PUP doesn't work in the middle position either (Switching is Neck Middle, neck middle bridge, middle bridge)
Owned:
Epiphone EJ200CE
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Aside from the neck pickup not making any sound, did anything ELSE happen to the guitar overnight? Do you have cats? Pickup Weevils?

We had one of these where the poster forgot to mention that his guitar had fallen from a truck, etc....
Make sure all the volume/tone knobs are turned all the way up. I'm not sure how this guitar is set up, some are made so if you turn either volume knob down it shuts down everything, some will only shut down that pickup. If it's down and you don't realize it, no pickup in any switch position.

Flip the switch a few times, if it comes back, try some contact cleaner. Most electronics geeks like DeOxit, pretty expensive stuff, I get it from auto parts stores. I don't have mine handy and can't remember eh brand, it's sold as electronics parts cleaner. Radio Shack might have it, not sure though, they mostly got out of electronics a while back, now it's all cell phones and such.

Then there's the possibility a wire broke loose, you would have to open it up to find that.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by dspellman
Aside from the neck pickup not making any sound, did anything ELSE happen to the guitar overnight? Do you have cats? Pickup Weevils?

We had one of these where the poster forgot to mention that his guitar had fallen from a truck, etc....

nope nothing happened to it. i tried turning the swith (with no contact cleaner)
a bunch and that fixed it.
Owned:
Epiphone EJ200CE
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100