I heard some guys talking about that because of how active pickups work, a good set can make a cheap guitar sound awesome. I know that changing a dead guitars pickups can bring it to lofe, but can active pickups really be that dramatic an improvement?
You'd be better off asking this question in the GG&A section of the forums

Personally I don't really care for active pick ups, I'd rather invest the money it'd take to put them in a cheap guitar towards a better guitar that plays well
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
No, that's compressor pedals I believe.

Active pickups just sound like active pickups.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
They made my old epiphone sound miles better.

However, it was an epiphone and had many other problems that made it bad.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Generally what I hear is active pickups have their own sound, much like some effects pedals or amplifiers do. While some pedals, amplifiers and pickups emphasise the natural sound of the guitar, some will always sound like that pedal/amp/pickup nomatter what you play it with. It's not necessarily that it makes a bad guitar good but that you don't need to worry about what you put into it to get the sound you like.

In other words, those little things you hate about your bad guitar - the way your hand sticks against the laminate when you do slides, the way it never stays in tune, the way you always get a dead note there no matter what you do - will not be improved even a little bit by your EMGs, but you'll be able to get that sick Kirk Hamlett sound.
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Quote by LauraMarx
Generally what I hear is active pickups have their own sound, much like some effects pedals or amplifiers do. While some pedals, amplifiers and pickups emphasise the natural sound of the guitar, some will always sound like that pedal/amp/pickup nomatter what you play it with. It's not necessarily that it makes a bad guitar good but that you don't need to worry about what you put into it to get the sound you like.

In other words, those little things you hate about your bad guitar - the way your hand sticks against the laminate when you do slides, the way it never stays in tune, the way you always get a dead note there no matter what you do - will not be improved even a little bit by your EMGs, but you'll be able to get that sick Kirk Hamlett sound.

Nah, this is how you Kirk Wahmlett.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Nah, this is how you Kirk Wahmlett.

I've actually never heard Kirk Hamlett and I don't know who he is I was kinda bullshitting & crossing my fingers idk who metal kids wanna sound like
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

Quote by LauraMarx
I've actually never heard Kirk Hamlett and I don't know who he is I was kinda bullshitting & crossing my fingers idk who metal kids wanna sound like

Let's put it this way.

You can't make a Kirk Wahmlette without breaking a few eggs.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Let's put it this way.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Let's put it this way.

That actually made me laugh.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Honestly?

No. They're a little more immune to how the guitar itself sounds but there's still an effect.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.