Hey GG&A - I just picked up some new TAD 12AX7's for my Jet City 20HV and think they sound great. Anyone else running these I did not see any posts here for tube amp doctor?

Also bought some for my TH30 but have not tried it just yet.

cheers
As far as I know, they are rebranded tubes (good quality tested stuff from what I hear but not their own brand). You might google it and see if you can find some sort of way to tell what they are.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
yeah, TAD tubes are made specifically for TAD from one of the Chinese factories. They are good tubes, but kinda expensive when compared to others
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ah my mistake then. I thought they were another rebrander but with better testing.

FWIW I really liked how my old Recto sound with TAD in the preamp, but I can't comment on their EL84
How did they wound compared to the stock Chinese tubes?

So far, I've tried JJ's and Tugsol's for the pre section. I really like the tungsols, but the JJ's made it sound like I had a blanket thrown over my cab
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
In my case they were definitely brighter than the JJs I tried (I bought it with the TAD tubes in it), but they weren't prone to harshness like many of the cheaper tubes from China are. A good buy if you want something a bit brighter but without all the usual downfalls of cheap tubes. They also helped to significantly tighten up the Recto low-end.
TADs are rebranded Chinese tubes. Nothing special.
I mostly use JJ's.
TungSols are rebranded Russian. The Tungsol brand is one of a bunch owned by New Sensor.

It's likely you had a set of bad JJ's. I mostly buy mine through Eurotubes. Bob has some of the best testing gear available.
Quote by dspellman
I mostly use JJ's.
TungSols are rebranded Russian. The Tungsol brand is one of a bunch owned by New Sensor.

It's likely you had a set of bad JJ's. I mostly buy mine through Eurotubes. Bob has some of the best testing gear available.

Interesting...

The JJ's we're definitely good. I have them in my 5150 right now, and they sound great. I just thought they took all of the life out of the Jet City

Since I'm in Canada, I buy tubes through the tube store. Actually just a couple of weeks ago I ordered a matched quad of 6V6's for my RV, and when they showed up 3 of them were within 1mA of each other, and the last one was 10mA higher! I emailed them about it, and the sent out a replacement for free right away. Great guy's to deal with. Highly recommended, especially if you're in Canada.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Aug 17, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
I mostly use JJ's.

TAD claims the tubes are STR for them, and not just the run of the mill Shuguang
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate