Hello all! Came across a used Mesa Transatlantic 2x12. I am entertaining the thought of replacing the speakers in it. Been looking into the Eminence Redcoat and Patriot series of speakers. I'm not opposed to having two different speakers. I've never really been into speakers so I don't really know a lot about them. I'd like to have a set that compliment a British Vox and classic Fender clean while also being able to deliver a solid Marshall and modern Boogie tone. Any suggestions?

I don't REALLY have a price limit per speaker but I'd like to stay under $125 each.
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 16, 2015,
Wow, the stock speakers in a TA are pretty world-class badass. If you MUST change em:

Redcoat= Brit voicing
Private Jack sounds pretty close to a vintage Greenback

Patriot= USA Voicing
Texas Heat- bold Altec style
Cannabis Rex- creamy OD tone
Red White and Blue- JBL D120ish
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Wow, the stock speakers in a TA are pretty world-class badass. If you MUST change em:

Redcoat= Brit voicing
Private Jack sounds pretty close to a vintage Greenback

Patriot= USA Voicing
Texas Heat- bold Altec style
Cannabis Rex- creamy OD tone
Red White and Blue- JBL D120ish

Well I could get 2 new C90's and put them in there so it'll have its stock speakers. I was just hoping for something a bit different. As far as Eminence goes, I was thinking about The Governor for one and Texas Heat for the other.
I haven't tried the TA30 but as I responded in your post in another thread- you gotta be careful when mixing speakers. It's not just a matter of picking two speakers whose tones you want, they need to match well together and work well as a whole (unless it's a stereo cab and you plan to use them separately, of course). Getting speakers which are sort of more in-between the british/american things rather than one of each might be a better idea.

I'd email eminence to see what they suggest, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the TA30 but as I responded in your post in another thread- you gotta be careful when mixing speakers. It's not just a matter of picking two speakers whose tones you want, they need to match well together and work well as a whole (unless it's a stereo cab and you plan to use them separately, of course). Getting speakers which are sort of more in-between the british/american things rather than one of each might be a better idea.

I'd email eminence to see what they suggest, too.

Thanks Dave. Right now there is the original C90 and some sort of Fender speaker in it. I am not dead set on two different speakers in it. If The Tonker or one of the others would do it justice on its own then that's fine. I have reached out to Eminence but haven't heard back yet.
For reference, the C90 has a pretty bold top end and a really nice tight bottom in the right cab. They are also loud as hell. It is a good choice if you need definition and articulation, British grit and grind. A V30 which I also like a lot might be added to the C90 to smooth the top a bit without losing definition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

Both speakers are top shelf once seasoned with a little EQ to taste.

If you decide to swap in a pair of Eminence, just check the specs so that you match sensitivity pretty closely. Otherwise one may be way louder than the other.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 17, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
For reference, the C90 has a pretty bold top end and a really nice tight bottom in the right cab. They are also loud as hell. It is a good choice if you need definition and articulation, British grit and grind. A V30 which I also like a lot might be added to the C90 to smooth the top a bit without losing definition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

Both speakers are top shelf once seasoned with a little EQ to taste.

If you decide to swap in a pair of Eminence, just check the specs so that you match sensitivity pretty closely. Otherwise one may be way louder than the other.

Thanks a lot for that! I am not really all that familiar with the C90 speaker in general but that video helps to put it a bit more into perspective.
Quote by vjferrara
Thanks Dave. Right now there is the original C90 and some sort of Fender speaker in it. I am not dead set on two different speakers in it. If The Tonker or one of the others would do it justice on its own then that's fine. I have reached out to Eminence but haven't heard back yet.

In my experience eminence is very helpful when you email them.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying not to get two different speakers. Just you kind of need to be careful, as if you make the wrong choice it can sound horrible.

I think the C90 is more or less a classic lead- but like with the V30, the Mesa version might be slightly different from the off-the-shelf version.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
In my experience eminence is very helpful when you email them.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying not to get two different speakers. Just you kind of need to be careful, as if you make the wrong choice it can sound horrible.

I think the C90 is more or less a classic lead- but like with the V30, the Mesa version might be slightly different from the off-the-shelf version.

That's good to know. I sent them an email yesterday but haven't received a reply yet. I'm definitely anxious to see what they think and get some other recommendations from them as well.
Eminence got back to me and said they highly recommend the Legend EM12 speaker. They described it as the perfect speaker to allow the Mesa ta-30's strengths. The biggest thing that concerned me is that it is a 200watt speaker. The ta-30 only goes up to 40watts. If I use a 200watt speaker will the amp be able to get its normal breakup? The C90's are 90 watts I believe, so even with them as stock speakers, the amp can't really make the speakers distort can it? Would the 200watt speakers basically just guarantee that if there is breakup or distortion then it's coming from the amp and not the speaker?
it depends. some speakers sound dirtier than others almost regardless of how much they're being pushed. I'm not sure I'd worry that much about speaker distortion, there's a school of thought that says it's not really important at all, and actually it's debatable if you're ever hearing it at all apart from when the speaker is nearly about to blow (don't quote me on that, though).

that's an interesting idea about the EM12, I didn't think of that. I think it's their take on the electrovoice speakers, and (don't quote me) I think Mesa has used them on occasion. I haven't tried either the EV or Eminence version, but I think Ippon (and maybe a few other regulars) have. I'll see if I can get them in here to see what they say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by vjferrara
Eminence got back to me and said they highly recommend the Legend EM12 speaker. They described it as the perfect speaker to allow the Mesa ta-30's strengths. The biggest thing that concerned me is that it is a 200watt speaker. The ta-30 only goes up to 40watts. If I use a 200watt speaker will the amp be able to get its normal breakup?

There's absolutely no change in the amp's "breakup" with a speaker capable of handling higher wattage.
Quote by vjferrara
Hello all! Came across a used Mesa Transatlantic 2x12. I am entertaining the thought of replacing the speakers in it. I'd like to have a set that compliment a British Vox and classic Fender clean while also being able to deliver a solid Marshall and modern Boogie tone. Any suggestions?

I don't REALLY have a price limit per speaker but I'd like to stay under $125 each.

I'm definitely NOT a fan of mix and match speakers. After Broken-In Vintage 30's, I like Texas Heats and Tonkers for what you're trying to do. The Legends will work well, too.

This is SO why I've gone to a modeler and the Two-Notes C.A.B.into an agnostic power amp and full-range flat response cabinet.

The C.A.B. gives you IR-based cab simulations. You're asking for solid Marshall, modern Boogie, Fender cleans, yada yada. All possible with the C.A.B. *and* the C.A.B. offers power amp simulation as well. Vox-style EL84, plus EL34s, 6L6, etc.

It's not a cheap bit of kit ($545, as I recall), but compared to the endless ****withage of buying and mixing speaker types with a cabinet and amp that's going to limit how much difference all this will make in the end, it's worth every penny.
Quote by vjferrara
Eminence got back to me and said they highly recommend the Legend EM12 speaker. They described it as the perfect speaker to allow the Mesa ta-30's strengths. The biggest thing that concerned me is that it is a 200watt speaker. The ta-30 only goes up to 40watts. If I use a 200watt speaker will the amp be able to get its normal breakup? The C90's are 90 watts I believe, so even with them as stock speakers, the amp can't really make the speakers distort can it? Would the 200watt speakers basically just guarantee that if there is breakup or distortion then it's coming from the amp and not the speaker?

This is a misunderstanding. The amp will break up just fine whether the speaker is rated at 30w or 300w. Now if you want to recreate the kinks small-speaker-close-to-death sound just slash the speaker cone with a knife like they did.

Quote by Dave_Mc
it depends. some speakers sound dirtier than others almost regardless of how much they're being pushed. I'm not sure I'd worry that much about speaker distortion, there's a school of thought that says it's not really important at all, and actually it's debatable if you're ever hearing it at all apart from when the speaker is nearly about to blow (don't quote me on that, though).

that's an interesting idea about the EM12, I didn't think of that. I think it's their take on the electrovoice speakers, and (don't quote me) I think Mesa has used them on occasion. I haven't tried either the EV or Eminence version, but I think Ippon (and maybe a few other regulars) have. I'll see if I can get them in here to see what they say.

From what Eminence was saying, they are based on the EV speakers. The only reason I can find NOT to buy them is that they are 16lbs each and the Mesa doesn't have casters on it lol! The sound clips are really nice.

Quote by dspellman
I'm definitely NOT a fan of mix and match speakers. After Broken-In Vintage 30's, I like Texas Heats and Tonkers for what you're trying to do. The Legends will work well, too.

This is SO why I've gone to a modeler and the Two-Notes C.A.B.into an agnostic power amp and full-range flat response cabinet.

The C.A.B. gives you IR-based cab simulations. You're asking for solid Marshall, modern Boogie, Fender cleans, yada yada. All possible with the C.A.B. *and* the C.A.B. offers power amp simulation as well. Vox-style EL84, plus EL34s, 6L6, etc.

It's not a cheap bit of kit ($545, as I recall), but compared to the endless ****withage of buying and mixing speaker types with a cabinet and amp that's going to limit how much difference all this will make in the end, it's worth every penny.

DOOD! Never heard of the Two Notes C.A.B. before. That thing is pretty awesome. Trying to stay away from emulations for the most part but if I get some extra cash and don't know what to spend it on, that thing will definitely be in the running.

Quote by Cajundaddy
This is a misunderstanding. The amp will break up just fine whether the speaker is rated at 30w or 300w. Now if you want to recreate the kinks small-speaker-close-to-death sound just slash the speaker cone with a knife like they did.

Well by golly if it's good enough for the Kinks!
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 19, 2015,
yeah those EV speakers (and clones I guess) have a rep of being super-heavy I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a pair of V1216 Eminence Legends in my RM100. I find that they are great for my Marshall and SLO sounds but are a bit lacking for Fender sounds. They work quite well for my Mesa Mark 2 sounds as well - but again, I run that module very dirty.
They work great for that SLO sound, which is why I use them, but not so much for clean tones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by vjferrara
From what Eminence was saying, they are based on the EV speakers. The only reason I can find NOT to buy them is that they are 16lbs each and the Mesa doesn't have casters on it lol! The sound clips are really nice.

I carted around a pair of 2x12s, each of which had a pair of Delta ProA's (look for them in the Eminence Pro Audio section). Stupid cabinets were built heavy in the first place, and weighed a ton. Each. These days I carry 40-lb cabinets based on neodymium magnets that can handle 900W each. Okay, so I try to get someone ELSE to carry them, but...

Quote by vjferrara

DOOD! Never heard of the Two Notes C.A.B. before. That thing is pretty awesome. Trying to stay away from emulations for the most part but if I get some extra cash and don't know what to spend it on, that thing will definitely be in the running.

If you want to make a Pod HD sound like that $2400 modeler (which shall go unnamed), the C.A.B. is the component that will make it so.