so today i picked up a used prs se from guitar center (320 bucks, not bad right?) but it has one volume, one tone and a 3 way pickup selector. i was wondering if i can modify it to have two volume knobs (one for eaxh pickup) and no tone knob. is that possible? where does that leave the tone at?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yes, you can rewire it with two volume knobs and no tone circuit. There are probably schematics on the Seymour Duncan web site. That will give you full-blast treble. Some shredders, like Marty Friedman, have done this to get an intense lead tone. Slash and Brian Setzer sometimes remove a guitar’s tone circuit and play it through a fifty-foot cable to bleed off high end while getting a different sound than a tone circuit provides.
Yes you can, the tone would be like it is at 10.

you could do a concentric pot that could do the volume of both at once and then you could still have the tone switch.

Another thing that would make it more versatile would be make the tone pot push/pull to coil tap the pickups (if they are 4 wire)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i was thinking about coil taps, that would be cool. but as it stamds i never use the tone knob so it would be nice if i could just get rid of it you know?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yes, it's quite easy. Take a wiring guide for a 2 vol/2 tone/3 way setup and just disregard the tone controls. Simple as that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thank you very much. wheres a good place to get some quality volume pots at?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
it's more like the tone is at 11.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rtfk101
thank you very much. wheres a good place to get some quality volume pots at?

Call local guitar shops, any with a tech or luthier on staff should stock CTS and/or Alpha pots. Otherwise you can order from Philadelphia Luthier Supply, Amazon, and eBay. Find out if PRS SE uses metric or USA pot shafts first, tho.
Mouser. The Bourns 500ks that they sell are awesome and are like $3 each. Super low friction too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's more like the tone is at 11.

This is more accurate. Rob suggested 10. I say either way if there is a capacitor it is limiting treble wether or not its full on or full off. So yea without the cap its way past 10!