Page 1 of 2
This thread is inspired by a conversation I had in the pub over the weekend.
Basically someone asked me if I liked Bon Jovi and I said that I don't really like Bon Jovi but I do really rate Ritchie Sambora as a guitarist and I actually feel he's wasted in that band.

Are there any other instances were people rate the guitarist (or singer, drummer, etc.) but don't actually like the band that they're in?
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Nirvana
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
That guy from Chelsea Grin.

Dude can play.

Can't write music for shit.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer

Dude can play.

Aren't Chelsea Grin just chugga chugga-core?
Quote by DardySon
Aren't Chelsea Grin just chugga chugga-core?

Exactly, but the lead guitarist is actually mega-talented.

This solo:

https://youtu.be/kd6hTuN0bLg?t=2m39s
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Paul Gilbert in Racer X or Mr. Big
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Ah, I was listening to that album last week (Polyphia - Muse) but didn't know what the band was.
idk, just some guy who does the I-V-IV-vi progression forever or whatever itis
superman is killing himself tonight
the bassist from Behold... the Arctopus is miles ahead of his bandmates, I like him. Thankfully he ditched them and joined Gorguts (the best career move I've ever seen a musician make).

Also Mick Mars from Motley Crue. I don't know why he bothered with them, honestly.

Edit: also Slash from Guns n Roses. He's another one where its like, why did you **** with those guys, dude? His side-projects have never amounted to much either, unfortunately.
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Last edited by LauraMarx at Aug 17, 2015,
Musically Sambora IS Bon Jovi, he doesn't sound much different in solo projects.
Same with Slash.
Quote by LauraMarx
also Slash from Guns n Roses. He's another one where its like, why did you **** with those guys, dude? His side-projects have never amounted to much either, unfortunately.

I change my answer to this.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by LauraMarx
the bassist from Behold... the Arctopus is miles ahead of his bandmates, I like him. Thankfully he ditched them and joined Gorguts (the best career move I've ever seen a musician make).

Hes in gorguts now? Thats crazy, I didnt think Id ever like any project related to Behold the Arctopus
Probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but I'm gonna go with Sleeping with Sirens guitarist. Shit band, god awful whiny singing, and the worst fanbase ever. My friend likes them for whatever reason and forces me to listen to them every now and then and I usually like the guys guitar work. Don't know what made him want to join that band though.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
Quote by hurricane0202
Probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but I'm gonna go with Sleeping with Sirens guitarist. Shit band, god awful whiny singing, and the worst fanbase ever. My friend likes them for whatever reason and forces me to listen to them every now and then and I usually like the guys guitar work. Don't know what made him want to join that band though.

Ive only heard a few songs from them but all the ones Ive heard are pretty good. They kinda sound like a less good version of circa survive tbh
Wes Borland. Man is a really talented guitar player... And he plays for Limp Bizkit
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by whywefight
Hes in gorguts now? Thats crazy, I didnt think Id ever like any project related to Behold the Arctopus

Yeah! Have you heard any of their actual stuff, other than just the ridiculous video everyone knows? It's actually not all that bad. The bassist and drummer are good. The guitarist is just sort of ridiculous. It is on the 'technical showboat' side of things, but I don't find it as grating if they aren't being paid millions for it like insufferable assholes like Satriani or whoever. They're showboating to the inside of their garage door and there's something romantic about that :')
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

Lars is wasted in Metallica
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by LauraMarx
Yeah! Have you heard any of their actual stuff, other than just the ridiculous video everyone knows? It's actually not all that bad. The bassist and drummer are good. The guitarist is just sort of ridiculous. It is on the 'technical showboat' side of things, but I don't find it as grating if they aren't being paid millions for it like insufferable assholes like Satriani or whoever. They're showboating to the inside of their garage door and there's something romantic about that :')

I have not heard anything more

Yeah I hear you though
Quote by EpiExplorer

Dude can play.

Do the other two guys even do anything anymore or does he do all the writing?
There was this gospel band I heard. They were so boring, but the lead guitarist did all these sweet pinch harmonincs, unison bends, and fast legato runs. For some reason he stopped playing with the band. Guess they were just jealous of his crazy skills.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
There was this gospel band I heard. They were so boring, but the lead guitarist did all these sweet pinch harmonincs, unison bends, and fast legato runs. For some reason he stopped playing with the band. Guess they were just jealous of his crazy skills.

They probably kicked him out for being a Satanist because we all know that the faster you play and the more pinch harmonics you use the more you are letting Satan enter your body because you are playing the Devil's music.
Quote by theogonia777

ROTFL - I heard he's gone solo now
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Quote by Matriani
This thread is inspired by a conversation I had in the pub over the weekend.
Basically someone asked me if I liked Bon Jovi and I said that I don't really like Bon Jovi but I do really rate Ritchie Sambora as a guitarist and I actually feel he's wasted in that band.

Are there any other instances were people rate the guitarist (or singer, drummer, etc.) but don't actually like the band that they're in?

Weird man i had a conversation similar with a coworker just recently on that exact topic! And i agree with everything you said. Bon Jovi "blows dogs for quarters"
Early Synyster gates or however his name is spelled. The guy's work on City of Evil is really impressive, then he started getting shitty after the self titled album. I'd say he is a 4/5
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
Quote by Ablast
Early Synyster gates or however his name is spelled. The guy's work on City of Evil is really impressive, then he started getting shitty after the self titled album. I'd say he is a 4/5

Yup god certainly wasted talent on that guy.
Slash of Slash herrrrrrrrrrrrhehrer
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Ablast
Synyster gates

why is Synyster Gates hated in the metal community?

avenged sevenfold
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
theguitarist

2/10, would do business again with him, quickpayment, A+++ buyer, however, -8pts. for being a fraud (not actually a guitarist)
Free Ali
Quote by LauraMarx
why is Synyster Gates hated in the metal community?

I don't hate Synyster gates, I just feel his talent is wasted in A7X
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
Page 1 of 2