(since Im not allowed to post in the technique forum, and I joined just to ask this, ill risk it all to ask

I just got a capo for the first time, and heres a newbie question: With a capo on the first fret, wont a F chord become exactly the same as the E chord? Theres a tab with both chords, and in my ignorance I cant figure this out. With the capo on, then surely the chords are the same... or?
Think of the capo as the nut. So if you want to play an F with or without the capo you still have to bar the first fret after the capo / nut. With the capo at the first fret an E becomes an F, so you are right there but then an F becomes an F#. You are moving every note up a step.

Cheers Peter.
Quote by pshupe
Think of the capo as the nut. So if you want to play an F with or without the capo you still have to bar the first fret after the capo / nut. With the capo at the first fret an E becomes an F, so you are right there but then an F becomes an F#. You are moving every note up a step.

Cheers Peter.

Wait, I still need to cover the first bar with one finger? ... Thats the part I thought the capo did. Darnit. My fingers just wont do that...
No, wait, what? So an E becomes an F. Then whats an E at that point?
Last edited by AnrBjotk at Aug 17, 2015,
If you put a capo on the first fret the F becomes like a E chord.

The one part is the capo.

And no, that 'new' E and the 'normal' E are not the same. Different notes.

Getting an E you need an G#, B and E note, nothing else. So bit of searching for it, like this:

Bit of a stretch, but still... Don't hit the E string, so mute it with your ring finger or something. And the G string (third one from below) is an open string
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by icanhasgodmode
If you put a capo on the first fret the F becomes like a E chord.

The one part is the capo.

And no, that 'new' E and the 'normal' E are not the same. Different notes.

Getting an E you need an G#, B and E note, nothing else. So bit of searching for it, like this:

Bit of a stretch, but still... Don't hit the E string, so mute it with your ring finger or something. And the G string (third one from below) is an open string

So, in order to play an E I need to press down four point that spaced out... thats impossible.
And I still dont get it, sensei... How is it that a G and D still works in their old place, but an E needs a new configuration...?
Quote by AnrBjotk
So, in order to play an E I need to press down four point that spaced out... thats impossible.
And I still dont get it, sensei... How is it that a G and D still works in their old place, but an E needs a new configuration...?

See, the thing is that chords are made up by notes. Different set of notes make a different kind of chord. How are the G and D still the same? Both use open strings, that you 'blocked' by putting a capo on the first fret.

And I'm just giving an example of an E, they are all over the neck, as long as they contain that set of notes. You can leave one of the four points out, but you'll need to mute that string, because an open string will not sound right.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Hmm, ok, thanks. Even though Im still too confused, you taught (I wanted to say "learned", hehe) me more than my guitar teacher did in four years - which was zip.
So THATS why there are so many different variations of a chord, eh? Still cant read or "get" notes, but.

So Im guessing its something similar with Am and Bb m then... Hmm. Argh. I thought a capo was gonna make things easier.
Quote by AnrBjotk
Hmm, ok, thanks. Even though Im still too confused, you taught (I wanted to say "learned", hehe) me more than my guitar teacher did in four years - which was zip.
So THATS why there are so many different variations of a chord, eh? Still cant read or "get" notes, but.

So Im guessing its something similar with Am and Bb m then... Hmm. Argh. I thought a capo was gonna make things easier.

No problem, that's what UG is for And yes, that is the reason.

Try to fiddle about with this: Chord finder
Remember that you need to add the fret that the capo is on. For instance, when the capo is on the first fret, first 'add' all first frets, and work from there. It gives you a chord in the table below the neck. Other way around works too, with a clean neck, 'make' a chord and write down the notes that are in it (the yellow circles) including the open strings (select those by clicking to the left of the end of string on the left side). Now find those exact set of notes with the first method, and nothing else. You'll see that the table gives you the note that you look at without the capo.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by AnrBjotk
Alright: concrete example:

http://www.palace.free.fr/tab/Death_to_everyone.htm

How can I play a C# and F#m... they seem to have capos at different frets...

You don't use a capo, you use a barre chord. Basically the same as a capo, but your index finger is the capo. C# is the same shape as F#m, but on the 9th fret instead of the 1st. Without going too much into the theory (hate that), the root note (the note you play on the E string, the thickest one) is a F when you play a F#m (the first fret of the E string is a F) and on the 9th fret it's a C, therefore it's C#. That and the shape of the fingers beside your index finger.

Check this (and other) video(s) out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnS4uhaXAI
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Aug 17, 2015,
The capo is on the 5th fret, not the fourth. And I usually don't use the chords part of the tabs because of this confusion. But the way I see it, yes you have to follow that chart because you need the correct notes to make up the chord.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by icanhasgodmode
The capo is on the 5th fret, not the fourth. And I usually don't use the chords part of the tabs because of this confusion. But the way I see it, yes you have to follow that chart because you need the correct notes to make up the chord.

Yeah, sorry. The fifth. But thats even worse. That makes the C and F. So thats two Fs...