So, I'm in the market for a new amp head, and I think I have it narrowed down to two.

An Egnater Vengeance, and a Peavey 6505+.

I actually owned a 6505 (Not the + model), I liked it but I ended up selling it cause I didn't like the shared EQ for both channels. So I was mainly wondering how the Egnater compares to a 6505+. Because I've heard/read very good things about both amps, so I'm really torn.
You're gonna wanna try the Egnater before you buy it. I had it for about two years and then eventually sold it. Its an okay amp, but it kinda sounds different in a weird way. Its hard to explain. Every time Ive played the 6505+ in stores, Ive always enjoyed it. I ended up buying a Bugera 6262 head which clones the 6505+ sound and I like that better than I liked my egnater V. I will say that the Egnater sounded really good when turned up loudly, and also took tube screamers extremely well.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

The Peavey is what it is and nothing is going to to THAT sound as well as it can. The Vengeance, however, is much more. I found demoing it that it has a much better clean channel, and it can also get very tight, very brutal, metal tones, but it definitely doesn't sound precisely like the 6505+ (I prefer the Vengeance.

I believe the Vengeance is MIC as are the new 6505+ models, though you can probably find a used 6505+ for cheaper than a used Vengeance and they were MIA up until recently (if country of manufacture is important to you).

If I was making the decision I'd grab the Egnater, more versatile and it has a dirt channel that is more inspiring to me.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I would get the 6505+.

Why?
I haven't liked a single egnater I've tried.

You may like it tho.
First off you may wanna try and follow this advice so we can get a better idea of what you want - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The Peavey is what it is and nothing is going to to THAT sound as well as it can. The Vengeance, however, is much more. I found demoing it that it has a much better clean channel, and it can also get very tight, very brutal, metal tones, but it definitely doesn't sound precisely like the 6505+ (I prefer the Vengeance.

I believe the Vengeance is MIC as are the new 6505+ models, though you can probably find a used 6505+ for cheaper than a used Vengeance and they were MIA up until recently (if country of manufacture is important to you).

If I was making the decision I'd grab the Egnater, more versatile and it has a dirt channel that is more inspiring to me.

Ill agree that the dirt channel had a really cool unique deep low end thump that sounded great on the low E string; no other amp Ive tried has had anything like it, even Engls. But the amp was just so incredibly dark and had this character that couldnt be dialed out of it. I never felt like the cleans were jangly and chimey, really. They sort of lacked roundness and definition, which makes sense if the amp is lacking in the presence department. I was using v30s with it, also.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Ill agree that the dirt channel had a really cool unique deep low end thump that sounded great on the low E string; no other amp Ive tried has had anything like it, even Engls. But the amp was just so incredibly dark and had this character that couldnt be dialed out of it. I never felt like the cleans were jangly and chimey, really. They sort of lacked roundness and definition, which makes sense if the amp is lacking in the presence department. I was using v30s with it, also.

They definitely aren't chimey, but I still thought the clean channel was better than the Peavey's. Considering the price and the style of amp, I can't expect a fantastic clean, I do think that it is more than usable though.

I hear what you are saying about the darkness. I thought it was a pretty sick sound, but I can imagine that many wouldn't want that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Watterboy
They sort of lacked roundness and definition,

Funny, I never associated definition with roundness. I actually kind of consider those opposites. You owned this amp and I definitely respect your opinion.

Quote by dementiacaptain
They definitely aren't chimey, but I still thought the clean channel was better than the Peavey's. Considering the price and the style of amp, I can't expect a fantastic clean, I do think that it is more than usable though.
I hear what you are saying about the darkness. I thought it was a pretty sick sound, but I can imagine that many wouldn't want that.

Cleans are way better than the Peavey. I did a very short video back when this amp came out. Nice cleans. Brutal dirt channel. Dark amp for sure.

http://vid545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/1a196a75.mp4

I'm a bit of an Egnater fanboi - as I dig most of their amps.
I really like me a dark tone, so that's why I've really been considering the Egnater, because everything I've heard says it's pretty dark. But then there's the Peavey, and I mean, I don't feel like I can go wrong with it just because, so many bands I listen to use them, but like I said, I like a darker tone. So I'm still not sure.
Quote by MusicMan24
I really like me a dark tone, so that's why I've really been considering the Egnater, because everything I've heard says it's pretty dark. But then there's the Peavey, and I mean, I don't feel like I can go wrong with it just because, so many bands I listen to use them, but like I said, I like a darker tone. So I'm still not sure.

Well, I highly suggest you try an Egnater V at a store or something somehow first. Its a unique tone that not everybody (widely) likes, unlike the 6505+. Also, the vengeance is, how you say, "once you go black you never go back", in that yeah its a dark amp and it is really hard to dial it to be anything other than that without using external eq pedals. The peavey can be dialed in dark, or very chainsaw-ish if you want.

Im not gonna knock the vengeance completely tho- the clean channel actually stays clean which is great, but can also get dirty. The mid-switch settings are awesome on the V for having a wide array of tones, altho I had a lot of trouble cutting with a drummer when I used the mid-scoop on the dirty channel (but the mid-scoop sounds awesome). The footswitch on the egnater is fantastic also and provides great options. I do recall the effects loop being in a weird part of the amp chain in the V though, I forget what it was and what issue it caused for me, but there was something wrong or weird about where they put it in the circuit order. Do a google search on this, because i remember it being mentioned on another forum too.

One of the bigger reasons I sold mine was because It was making a weird buzzing noise that I couldnt resolve and nobody could resolve and customer service didnt help me with. It wasnt tubes, it wasnt the internal fan, the electrical wiring in my house ect ect; I tried the amp in many different houses, with different guitars and cables and cabs and at all different settings but there was a awful constant buzz. I have no idea, but it ruined the amp for recording for me. After buying an Engl Powerball and a Bugera 6262 ive never really felt more satisfied wih my tonal options. But if you choose the vengeance, it is a very unique sound. Good luck!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Get off the net, grab a guitar and go spend a few hours playing through some amps. It's the only way to know for sure if it has YOUR guitar tone in there.

I have heard a few guys sound pretty good through Egnater amps but I never did. I am an old Fender/Mesa guy and just sound like ass through them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Isn't the Vengeance same amp they used to sell via Rocktron?
I remember their rep. told me Egnater moved out and then opened his Chinese shop.
I wasn't crazy about that amp. What about Mesa Dual recto or Mini? I'd rather do that as you obviously didn't like things in the 6505.