Hello everybody,

I'm going to buy my first electric guitar next week, yeah!
I chose the Squier Affinity Stratocaster (Surf Green), really like the colour as well.

Well, now I have to choose an amplifier that suits my needs + budget.
I don't want to spend more than €120 / $135 / 85 British pounds.

I like clean sounds, and maybe a bit of blues/jazz once in a while. I'll only play in my bedroom, not that loud. Or even with headphones... I've lucky parents and neighbours

I was thinking of these three amps:

Roland Cube-10GX
Fender Mustang I (V.2)
Marshall MG15CFX

I like the easy controls of the Cube + the sounds from the iOS/android app.
The Fender Mustang has 20W instead of 10W (Cube), does this really matter in my situation? (bedroom, not loud, clean sounds and very beginner guitarist)

I hope somebody could help me with choosing the right amp for me. Suggestions are welcome, off course!

Thanks,
Ferron

(16 years old, The Netherlands)
Last edited by ferronalen at Aug 17, 2015,
Out of those the cube and the mustang are decent choices. As for the MG don't bother with it. I used a cube back when I lived in dorms and they're very good at what they do for the price. I still use my cube for practice every now and then.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
+1 for the Cube. Super straightforward controls with the best basic tone of the lot. It will be a useful practice amp for as long as you play.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Buy the Cube and don't sweat about the 10 watts. It will get plenty loud if you need it to.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I'd look for something used with a 12 inch speaker, they sound bigger and better than the smallest practise amps with tiny speakers even at low volume.
the vox mini3 is pretty nice if you don't need much volume

i haven't tried the mustang, i'm guessing it's worth a look too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the Mustang. More amp models.

The cube doesn't have proper models, too few. The only cube worth getting are the micro cube and those above 30 watts. Anything in between has way less amp models.

"Three preset COSM amp types: Clean, Crunch, and Lead" Please... don't waste money on this overpriced 10gx.

Don't even bother with the marshall mg. I bet the fender probably does a better job emulating a marshall than a solid state marshall mg.

If you can, get a Mustang ii v.2 for the 12 inch speaker.