I would love to see what people recommend for Hard Rock distortion pedals.

I would like to get my hands on a pedal that sounds roughly like RED's "of Beauty and Rage" or Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory".

Those are the two sounds I'm aiming for.

Thanks
what's the rest of your gear? what's your budget?

are there any specific songs from those two albums (better yet, specific parts of a song) which you want to sound like?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm using a Behringer Warp Distortion and that does an awesome job. I got it for around $120 AUD
TC Electronics Dark Matter (assuming a new amp is not an option). I was able to get a range from blues at it's lowest to 80's brit metal at it's heaviest.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
My personal favorite, and probably my favorite gain pedal overall, is the MI Audio Crunch Box. It'll make a single coil guitar and a Fender type amp sound like a hot-rodded Marshall. The entire dial is useable, from gritty clean boost to crushing heavy gain. I typically like boosting other distortion pedals I have for the thick saturation but the Crunch Box slays on its own. I like that its just a subtle lil red box, no skulls or "metal" motif, but it brings the "brootz" like no one's business. (Lol, I'm not really a metal guy so I'm probably exaggerating a bit, it does get very heavy though).
It is very Marshall-y sounding, imo that's a good thing but if you don't dig a high gain Marshall you may not be into the Crunch Box.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
TC Electronics Dark Matter (assuming a new amp is not an option). I was able to get a range from blues at it's lowest to 80's brit metal at it's heaviest.

maybe a bit dark and not really heavy enough for linkin park? obviously depends a fair bit on the amp, too.

EDIT: I'd have the same concerns with the joyo ultimate drive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 18, 2015,
Hello, I'm jntwardosky's other account.

I forgot my password to it..damn. Oh well.

Anyways, I was aiming for a sound much like "Falling Sky" by RED and "A Place For My Head" by Linkin Park.

OR "So Cold" by Breaking Benjamin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe a bit dark and not really heavy enough for linkin park? obviously depends a fair bit on the amp, too.

EDIT: I'd have the same concerns with the joyo ultimate drive.

When I read "hard rock" then I was also ready to suggest the Dark Matter, but if we're talking Linkin Park tones it might indeed not be the best option, they have basically more of a metal tone, while the DM is kind of "semi-vintage". Especially "A Place For My Head" which happens to be one of my favourite songs of theirs.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
thanks. i stick by what i said about the dark matter and joyo ultimate drive- not heavy enough and too dark (in my opinion).

what's the rest of your gear and what's your budget?

EDIT: ^ yeah the dark matter is designed to sound more or less like a plexi, I think. Nowhere near heavy enough. You want something which approximates the sound of a modern, high gain tube amp like a mesa dual rectifier, peavey 6505 or similar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
AMT does several amp simulator pedals, don't they? Maybe look into one that does a 6505, a Mesa Boogie, a Diezel perhaps. A Mesa Boogie AMT pedal would be good, or a Triple Wreck by Wampler.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2015,
^ a rat's awesome, and as you said, very versatile, but I'm not sure it'd be my first choice for the tones he wants.

Quote by dementiacaptain
AMT does several amp simulator pedals, don't they? Maybe look into one that does a 6505, a Mesa Boogie, a Diezel perhaps. A Mesa Boogie AMT pedal would be good, or a Triple Wreck by Wampler.

that might be worth a look. they're (AMT) not super-dear either (a lot cheaper than the likes of wampler).

I haven't tried them, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To go with what amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
we can't really throw any ideas out until you tell us what you have for other gear. post that up and you will get better advice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Rat is still too fuzzy, despite its versatility; I take back the Dark matter suggestion, didn't read the rest of the post. I usually do just say "new amp" but since you're going pedal first I'll assume it's not in the cards right now. Maybe something from Hardwire, an SC-2 or TL-2.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
OP, what amp do you have? That wil change a lot of the options. Some amps don't mix with pedals well.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by thejakestergamingofficial
My amp is a Rogue CG-30r Combo amp. Sorry for the late reply.

skip the pedals and get yourself a used peavey vypyr amp. this can be done fairly cheap and sill get you far better results than throwing a pedal infront of that amp.
Agreed...it was a hand-me-down amp xD.
Any more recommendations for a good decent amp, that isn't hopelessly expensive, that can take the dirt pedals?
Quote by thejakestergamingofficial
Agreed...it was a hand-me-down amp xD.
Any more recommendations for a good decent amp, that isn't hopelessly expensive, that can take the dirt pedals?

if you get a vypyr you really won't need the pedals which was kinda my point
I love the newer Peavey Valveking 20w head, it has a good crunchy tone to it. Other than that, keep your eyes peeled on your local craigslist, or, if you know what you want, check Guitar Center's used site and Reverb.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
check out the suhr riot distortion pedal - I've seen a few good vids on youtube about it.
^ that costs like double what his amp does.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?