Hi,

Going to get an HD500x for playing through headphones and occasional live use, just wanted to check that there are no better alternatives seeings as it is a few years old now, max price is around £400
AC30 C2 with greenbacks

Fender JA-90 Telecaster
Fender Mexican classic series 60's Telecaster

MXR Noise Clamp
Dunlop Crybaby
Pro-co Rat 2
Fulltone Plimsoul
Electro Harmonix Big Muff W/ Tone Wicker
Mooer Orange 90
Vox Delay Lab
Still a great unit.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do it. I bought a used HD300 for $100 US, off of Craigslist. It is easily my most used piece of gear. I use it live, I use it for practice, I even use it as a computer interface for recording. Some folks prefer analog pedals (I do still have a few), but I prefer the HD. It's easy to use, self-contained, and the possibilities are virtually endless.
It depends. If you really care about "real" amp feel and having great dynamics the POD HD500x just will not do. I also feel the more "classic" rock tones just aren't great. If you are willing to spend the time you can get a decent clean sound and a pretty good modern rock/metal tone. I currently still use a POD HD500x as my midi footcontroller and backup for my Axe Fx II.
I have the HD500X. If you have the money, get a Kemper or Fractal. I don't think anything can beat the POD for the price. But all the small things that make the more expensive units the price they are really add up. And sometimes you don't realize how important they are until you've spent time with them (or in my case, spent time with the POD).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No one mentioned BIAS yet. If you use ios check it out. You'll need an irig hd, apogee jam or other input but after that the software is cheap. At minimum get Bias FX for $30 and download free amp models from their cloud. Sounds great to me. Look for youtube vids.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I'm using the Pod HD. Probably the best you're going to find for the money you have.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 19, 2015,
Quote by JosephFeagin8
It depends. If you really care about "real" amp feel and having great dynamics the POD HD500x just will not do. I also feel the more "classic" rock tones just aren't great. If you are willing to spend the time you can get a decent clean sound and a pretty good modern rock/metal tone. I currently still use a POD HD500x as my midi footcontroller and backup for my Axe Fx II.

What's the point? At nearly $3000 for the Axe and the recommended MID foot controller, it's way over his budget.

I'm using a Pod HD500X and have plenty of "real" amp feel and quite good dynamics. I've been lucky enough to have folks show me things in that nest of menus that can make quite a difference.

I've also got an Axe Ultra and the use of an Axe-FX II and a Torpedo C.A.B. that tags along with my Pod that will open the eyes of most Axe/Kemper users. But getting cork-sniffy about an Axe-FX II doesn't serve us here.