Moneymaking schemes are going well and with any luck I should be able to get myself a Twin in the next month or so. At the moment I've got my eye on what's apparently a 1990 Twin Reverb at a store (though I haven't yet had a chance to see it in person since it's not very nearby).

It's blackface, it says "Twin Reverb Amp" in the usual place and it's got volume + 3-band EQ for each channel, two inputs each, a bright switch each and the reverb, speed and intensity knobs for the effects. But Wiki says the '65 reissue came out in '92, and I know there was a bit of bollockery with similarly named models around the time.

Is a 1990 blackface Twin Reverb the same as a '65 Twin Reverb and, if not the same model, is it appreciably different in any meaningful way? Is it still MIA? Same circuit and everything?

EDIT: It says "Design and Circuits Patented 42-1" in the usual place so I would assume the guts are right... Is it possible it's just incorrectly dated?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 17, 2015,
A serial # is the only way to be sure. 1990 sounds like Red Knob era which would not be my choice unless I could get it for $200. The proof is in the listening. If you crank it up and get that great Blackface sparkle while everyone around you is losing their hearing, you have a Blackface Twin Reverb.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It seems pretty likely to me that it was just dated wrong. Amps tend to be harder to date than guitars, and it's not unlikely at all that a pot made in 1990 made it into the amp, which could easily lead to it being incorrectly dated as a 1990. It also might just be labeled as a "199_" because they don't know, but had to enter a date into their inventory system so just went with 1990.

Lots of reasons it could be a 92 mislabeled as a 90, and it's not exactly hard to spot a red-knob twin, what with the big chunky power/standby switches, input and reverb layout, and...red knobs. If it looks and smells like a Twin Reissue, it probably is.
Yeah, they originally listed it as 2000, then bizarrely changed their minds on the year (which is sort of halfway between encouraging and discouraging since I would imagine a change of listed year suggests they had some good reason to do so...), but cosmetically it looks like, well, a Twin Reverb:

Minus a missing knob, but y'know.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Ignore the year because they have no clue. That is a TRRI. Now go play through it to be sure they didn't fuzz it up.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I certainly will go play it, but I just heard back from them and it's a 2010 TRRI; apparently there was a serial mixup. Which means I need to get my ass in gear and pull a deposit together, because it's a tasty price.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan