Hello there. I have a song, genre pop rock, that I need drums for. Looking for affordable online session drummer. Can't really explain kind of drums want as I don't know much about that. Just a nice, solid recording that sounds semi-professional. Not want anything crazy/experimental and don't want music covered up, including busy bass. Preferred price range is $100-$200. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Live drum tracks recorded by a professional sound much better. They're also easier to generate because you don't have to program anything. You just hire someone to do it yourself.
Quote by selftaught1000
Hello there. I have a song, genre pop rock, that I need drums for. Looking for affordable online session drummer. Can't really explain kind of drums want as I don't know much about that. Just a nice, solid recording that sounds semi-professional. Not want anything crazy/experimental and don't want music covered up, including busy bass. Preferred price range is $100-$200. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You're going to need to figure that part out before you start asking people to do this for you. You're going to get your song back from someone and it won't be what you want, and you'll still owe them money.

Have you tried finding a local drummer in person to work with?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You're going to need to figure that part out before you start asking people to do this for you. You're going to get your song back from someone and it won't be what you want, and you'll still owe them money.

Have you tried finding a local drummer in person to work with?

On my last project, I got my best help from remote guys. I went to a local studio where the guy had metal samples and was a roadie for Megadeth and the mix wasn't any good. Wanted to charge me $200 for it too. As for listening to the work, there has to be a way of doing that online. Also, if the person comes highly recommended, it's more reasonable to assume that you are going to get something of quality. Recalls obviously help too.

Basically, I just want to send the material and have the person add the drums. This is how it was done last time and the drums, while pretty uninspiring overall, had good timing and sounded infinitely better than my rendered click track.

I'll think of some pop rock songs I like and see if I can somehow describe what I want better, though I don't know how much it'll help as I don't much, if anything, about drums.
Last edited by selftaught1000 at Aug 20, 2015,
Depends on the complexity of the song. Since the project required some very serious attention to timing and tempo changes plus a complicated double bass work, this guy nailed it.
We had to pay more than his standard fee for the songs but it was quite understandable as I wanted a lot more detail than a normal rock/pop session would.
Personally, he'd be my first choice.
I tried to work with some other dudes, some big primadonna Brazilian drummer by the name Acacio Carvalho that also does online sessions and was a complete and total a**hole. Wanted money for the session and won't release song performance rights, which is kinda like you're paying for nothing. Totally unprofessional, but apparently he moves in the right circle.
So basically Marc played a circle around him, delivered killer performances and was great to work with - communication, timeliness, chops, everything!
If you work with him tell him Alex from Descent Into Madness sent you.
I've worked with some other meat and potatoes rock guys and they're OK but results were hit/miss, in some cases didn't have to pay as the results were subpar.
Quote by WhatISThat
look at the program superior drummer. more realistic.

You can get decent results but you'll have to make your eyes bleed and still won't be 100% of what a good pro drummer can deliver. Been there...done that.

I actually like their products a lot, but no way you can get that realistic than the real thing. In a way it is the tofurkey of drumming.
I'm also highly skeptical of the notion that a program would surpass live drums in quality. One of the keys for me, outside of cost, is to be able to keep all copyrights to my music. I take it from your post that that was your experience with Marc. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's correct, you'll just have to ask whoever is playing, since you're not hiring them as "composers" but as performers to sign a "work for hire performance release" form, in other words contract stipulating that you're paying for the performance and all their association with the song from there on is non-existent. I guess it is the standard "hired gun" contract.

I read an interview about the lady that wails on "Dark Side of the Moon" where she's saying how stupid she was that she agreed on that back in the day, but since Pink Floyd were a young band and she wasn't thinking of ever recouping from the records she demanded union wage for opera singer job or something like that which was a lot of money, so they made her release her performance rights and paid her. You can guess how much more she would've made if she kept her performance rights.

Another similar case was the Ozzy / Daisley and Kerslake fiasco, where Sharon didn't want to pay performance royalties on re-releases on the albums they were on, and thus hired other musicians to replace their performances, thus screwing up the original recording. Read up on that, it is a lot of fun

Apparently, not first time and last time either. She did the same thing to Jake E. Lee but he wasn't as lawyered up and just let it go. You can read up on both of these, makes for quite fun read from the world of music biz.

Any session musician that is hired on a session should be OK to release performance rights, after all they are exactly there for that reason, to play on your songs and get their $. I usually credit all the guys that I use, so they can get more business from it and recognition. I own the rights but as a professional courtesy I also put their names in the liner notes. After all, you get a guy listening to your record and wondering "who's that amazing drummer/bassist/etc.?". It is nice to provide that to fans.

Anyway, here's Recording's review of our session with Marc:
http://www.recordingmag.com/tapereviews/2013/01/204.html
Quote by selftaught1000

Brian Fullen, he's amazing and a pro. His recording will sound professional and will fit musically - he really listens to the song - he doesn't simply play over it, he plays to it.

http://www.brianfullen.com/