There is a lot of discussion about placement of distortion, overdrive and fuzz pedals. As far as I can tell, overdrive before distortion increases drive. Meanwhile, overdrive after distortion increases volume and drive for a good solo boost.

Currently, I am using a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal and a DOD Overdrive Preamp 250. Meaning to get a solo boost, I placed the DOD after the DS-1, setting drive to low and level above noon. My DS-1 is set with tone at 2 o'clock and distortion at max. When I activate the DOD, I noticed that some of the crunchy tone from the DS-1 disappears. Is this inevitable in using an overdrive as a solo boost, or might it be just a characteristic of the DOD?
Epiphone Les Paul Special II -> Cry Baby Wylde Wah -> DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 -> Boss DS-1 -> Boss ME-50 -> Marshall MG15CF

SCANDAL / Foo Fighters / The Beatles
Last edited by gt.ch at Aug 18, 2015,
yes it is because of the dod. it isn't a clean booster. if you put anything after a distortion that clips, you'll affect your tone. what you want is a squeaky clean booster. or a klon derivative.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
It might be because of the DOD. Not all ODs/Dists work well as volume boosters. Also, distortion all the way up?! I'm not too familiar with the DS-1, but that's probably overkill.

I'll definitely go check out some boosters, then.
Haha, it may be overkill but I don't think so. With my current settings it gives a nice fuzz-like feel, and the DS-1 actually doesn't have much drive (compared to the DS-1X or OD-1X, for example). Or maybe it's because my EQ's something like B6.5 M6.5 T3.5 to compensate for the trebly tone due to the crunch I want to get from the DS-1.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
yes it is because of the dod. it isn't a clean booster. if you put anything after a distortion that clips, you'll affect your tone. what you want is a squeaky clean booster. or a klon derivative.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll check those out.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II -> Cry Baby Wylde Wah -> DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 -> Boss DS-1 -> Boss ME-50 -> Marshall MG15CF

SCANDAL / Foo Fighters / The Beatles