Page 1 of 3
Has anyone ever been completely absorbed by nostalgia? Iv only recently noticed the impact its had on me in the last few years. Im only 25 so i can imagine what its like for someone who is 50.
I have been completely absorbed by past memories, hobbies, movies,music, and even toys. Why would a grown man ask for nothing but Legos for christmas? Why would i sit through the entire first 3 seasons of The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers at age 25?
Am i hanging on to the past due to contempt for the present and future,or am I afraid of growing old?
Iv been asking myself these questions for a few weeks and have yet to come to any real conclusions. Any advice or information on the causes and effects of nostalgic behavior is much appreciated.

All jokes aside i am being 100% sincere here, no Bullshit.
I avoid nostalgia like the plague. Its pretty easy when you always hate your past like I do.

The only thing I can think of of recently that Ive been nostalgic towards is the stack of redwall books that I took from my parents house. I fully plan on rereading at least some of them.

I guess I mean to say that nostalgia is kinda like junk food
Last edited by whywefight at Aug 18, 2015,
Its good to reflect and revisit past things sometimes, and see things you might've missed/forgotten outside of memories. But yeah, cant live in the past and let it haunt you. Need to move on, you're a newer person every moment etc etc
i think some things are best kept in the past rather than revisiting them, that way you'll always have fond memories of things, rather than the disappointing reality iygwim
Quote by whywefight
I avoid nostalgia like the plague. Its pretty easy when you always hate your past like I do.

The only thing I can think of of recently that Ive been nostalgic towards is the stack of redwall books that I took from my parents house

I know the feeling. I have a really hard time with it.The other day i took a toy from my 5yr old nephew because it used to be mine, and it made me start thinking about this issue heavily.
Quote by So-Cal
i think some things are best kept in the past rather than revisiting them, that way you'll always have fond memories of things, rather than the disappointing reality iygwim

You know, i think that makes perfect sense.
Quote by EyeNon15
Of course, I'm "these stupid kids and their shitty music" guy now

Im the same guy, but im not sure that's from nostalgia?
Quote by Dick Savage
Has anyone ever been completely absorbed by nostalgia? Iv only recently noticed the impact its had on me in the last few years. Im only 25 so i can imagine what its like for someone who is 50.
I have been completely absorbed by past memories, hobbies, movies,music, and even toys. Why would a grown man ask for nothing but Legos for christmas? Why would i sit through the entire first 3 seasons of The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers at age 25?
Am i hanging on to the past due to contempt for the present and future,or am I afraid of growing old?
Iv been asking myself these questions for a few weeks and have yet to come to any real conclusions. Any advice or information on the causes and effects of nostalgic behavior is much appreciated.

All jokes aside i am being 100% sincere here, no Bullshit.

Does the future seem scary or otherwise threatening to you?
Quote by whywefight
Of course it is

How could music suck now when bands like the antlers exist

Because bands like the antlers exist?

disclosure, I have no idea who they are.
Quote by flexiblemile
Does the future seem scary or otherwise threatening to you?

Yes. Extremely so.
you're four years older than me? damn
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Im finding that i also have a problem with obcessing over specific interests individually, (like i get real invovled in legos and ONLY legos for like 2 weeks at a time) and then my interest will shift to something else like guitar.

I have so many unfinished/finished projects lying around its mind boggling.

I think im going ****ing crazy but im not sure.
Last edited by Dick Savage at Aug 18, 2015,
Quote by Dick Savage
Im finding that i also have a problem with obcessing over specific interests individually, (like i get real invovled in legos and ONLY legos for like 2 weeks at a time) and then my interest will shift to something else like guitar.

Ass.

Burgers.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Because bands like the antlers exist?

disclosure, I have no idea who they are.

they're a terrible indie band, whose music will make you want to kill yourself

in a bad way
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Ass.

Burgers.

Are you suggesting i have aspergers, or referencing a "crap" indie punk band?
Quote by So-Cal
they're a terrible indie band, whose music will make you want to kill yourself

in a bad way

So not a "heart attack caused by 80 prozzies who are actually attractive"?
Quote by Dick Savage
Are you suggesting i have aspergers, or referencing a "crap" indie punk band?

I'm pre-empting someone making that suggestion, because their cousin's friend on facebook totally has it, even though the doctor says they don't.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm pre-empting someone making that suggestion, because their cousin's friend on facebook totally has it, even though the doctor says they don't.

Oh i see.
Quote by Dick Savage

I have so many unfinished/finished projects lying around its mind boggling.

Its not a bad thing to have interests for different things, just need to get that push to see your projects through is all
Hell i even blame nostalgia for me posting the Rob Chappman thread. I dont hoenstly know why i was interested but something made me? I just want to get to the bottom of what causes this shit to happen.
Last edited by Dick Savage at Aug 18, 2015,
nostalgia is bad for me because it turns into regret and self-loathing. Every time.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Dick Savage
Hell i even blame nostalgia for me posting the Rob Chappman thread. I dont hoenstly know why i was interested but something made me? I just want to get to the bottom of what causes this shit to happen.

Like thinking about a friend randomly, and calling him up eh

Lol who knows brah
Quote by Fat Lard
Like thinking about a friend randomly, and calling him up eh

Lol who knows brah

Exaclty like that. Its kind of like willing happiness to be so, by way of an artificially recreated moment of past happiness?
Quote by Dick Savage
Exaclty like that. Its kind of like willing happiness to be so, by way of an artificially recreated moment of past happiness?

I wouldnt think 'reflected' like 'artificially created'. Sometimes you need to reflect to know not to do the 'artificially created', I suppose. But yeah, need to learn to be comfortable not chasing happiness all the time, and just being mindful that other emptions are okay to have
Quote by Fat Lard
I wouldnt think 'reflected' like 'artificially created'. Sometimes you need to reflect to know not to do the 'artificially created', I suppose. But yeah, need to learn to be comfortable not chasing happiness all the time, and just being mindful that other emptions are okay to have

I never consciously think of promoting or increasing my happiness while engaged in something, however i do think thats what motivates me. Im not sure of any if this really, its all just speculation.
Being absorbed with nostalgia in your early-mid 20's is very normal; your life is undergoing a huge number of changes.

But remember that your perception of the past is a very biased one. Everybody gains a significant sense of identity in past experiences from childhood. And of course, everybody wants to associate their identities with only positive things, so they tend to forget the negative experiences. Things weren't as good back then as you think they are.

But me? I am a sucker for nostalgia. At times things were very hard for me. But I had a lot of great experiences too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 18, 2015,
Depends on how you deal with it. If you look back at shows from the early '90s and think, "Man, shows were better then" without accounting for the quality of shows today...well, then you need to take off your stupidass rose-colored glasses and realize you're being dumb. If you think, "I liked this show back then, but it's not any better (or worse, depending) than today's shows", then you have a healthy nostalgia.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax at #33556080
Depends on how you deal with it. If you look back at shows from the early '90s and think, "Man, shows were better then" without accounting for the quality of shows today...well, then you need to take off your stupidass rose-colored glasses and realize you're being dumb.

Cartoon Network was objectively amazing in the 90's though.

Nowadays there's still a couple of good shows, but the 90's were such a hard act to follow.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 18, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Cartoon Network was objectively amazing in the 90's though.

Nowadays there's still a couple of good shows, but the 90's were such a hard act to follow.

+1 everything wasnt so blatantly political.
if you look back through nostalgia lenses, and you remember the 'oh man shows were great back then', does it take out bad/boring/whatever experience, except it leaves the happy?

So if in our memory it is happy, and we can't go back and change it to unhappy, then isn't it just happy? Your emotional connection with the [old thing] is the only evidence of how great you liked it.

Therefore, things in the past can be much happier because you rewrite history

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
if you look back through nostalgia lenses, and you remember the 'oh man shows were great back then', does it take out bad/boring/whatever experience, except it leaves the happy?

So if in our memory it is happy, and we can't go back and change it to unhappy, then isn't it just happy? Your emotional connection with the [old thing] is the only evidence of how great you liked it.

Therefore, things in the past can be much happier because you rewrite history

You vould be on to something there?
i dunno. i don't really get that into it. nostalgia tends to be something that hits me a lot with going to places rather than shows or stuff. it also tends to be kind of depressing because it is normally triggered by noticing how much a place has changed and lost the charm it once had. but that makes the rare occasion when a place has retained the sort of charm that endeared itself to me in the first place even sweeter i guess.

Quote by whywefight

The only thing I can think of of recently that Ive been nostalgic towards is the stack of redwall books that I took from my parents house. I fully plan on rereading at least some of them.

damn, unexpected nostalgia there. nice post.
i dunno. i don't really get that into it. nostalgia tends to be something that hits me a lot with going to places rather than shows or stuff. it also tends to be kind of depressing because it is normally triggered by noticing how much a place has changed and lost the charm it once had. but that makes the rare occasion when a place has retained the sort of charm that endeared itself to me in the first place even sweeter i guess.

That is exactly what happens to me and i hate it. Maybe i just dint like change that i cant control?
Page 1 of 3