With a Floyd rose trem, can I set it up for standard tuning then drop tune it for a few songs, then tune it back to standard? Will there be any difference to the guitar after I retune it to E?
Assuming you're talking about a recessed Floyd, you're not going to be able to adjust the tuning of the guitar in any way without needing to adjust the springs. At least not if you want your guitar to be playable.

If the Floyd isn't recessed, and therefore the Floyd cannot be pulled up, then downtuning is relatively straightforward. You won't need to adjust the spring balance providing the bridge is resting against the body of the guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 18, 2015,
The easy answer is no. Floyds are generally one tuning and one tuning only. If it's floating, you will have to re-set it up everytime you change tunings.
Basically, everything toodeep said, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
If you mean from Standard to Drop D and back look at the D-Tuna but you will not be able to pull up.

Other than that you need a guitar per tuning when you use a Floyd.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by sandvika
With a Floyd rose trem, can I set it up for standard tuning then drop tune it for a few songs, then tune it back to standard?
In a word, no.

Quote by metalmingee
If you mean from Standard to Drop D and back look at the D-Tuna but you will not be able to pull up.
The D-Tuna is awful though...
Quote by sandvika
With a Floyd rose trem, can I set it up for standard tuning then drop tune it for a few songs, then tune it back to standard? Will there be any difference to the guitar after I retune it to E?

Generally no.

The exception to that is the Line 6 Variax JTV89F. You can select a wide variety of alternate tunings, including drop tunings down to and beyond Baritone, and the string tension won't change on the guitar. The 89F is the only Variax with a Floyd.

If it's top mounted & decked or recessed & blocked for dive only, then yes. You can change tuning without any problems. If it's floating for pull-ups and dives, you will have to set it up for each tuning. If you get something like the tremel-no for the floating trem then you can lock it and change tuning. Then when you get it back to E standard you can unlock it to float again.

The D-Tuna is designed to work on decked/dive only Floyd's, and it works great if used this way. It can be used on a blocked recessed Floyd, but that is a case by case basis. Some guitars will need to be modified (notch the body or shim the neck) for it to fit and function properly.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The D-Tuna is awful though...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ryanbwags
The easy answer is no. Floyds are generally one tuning and one tuning only. If it's floating, you will have to re-set it up everytime you change tunings.
Basically, everything toodeep said, too.

i am not too sure where you figured that you can't do that. it is perfectly possible but yes it is a giant pain in the ass. but if you have all the time in the world, then yes you can do it.

but unlike a non floyd guitar like les paul or something where changing tuning's may take you between 5-10 mins, changing the tuning's on a floyd is a time consuming task.

also it is not a recommended task, as depending on the tuning you will have to adjust the claw position and on a floyd rose guitar, constantly changing the claw position is not the best thing to do.

if you like to play with multiple tuning's get a couple of guitars and have them tuned to different tuning's. that's what most people do. i have my les paul tuned 1/2 step down and my ESP on to C#.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Last edited by AiC at Aug 18, 2015,
If you are planning on removing the locking nut, detuning, fine tuning every string and then putting the locking nut back on, then yes.

If you are planning on just quickly dropping the string down, then no.

The tuning of one string will affect the tuning of the other 5.
Here is a fun little pedal.
Assuming you are in E standard, it will drop each string one semi tone up to 8 times. So you get Eb, D standard, Dflat, C standard, etc. You cant do drop D though, so you are outa luck with that.