Long story short, I would like to know which pickups would be best for a tone more suited towards metal and in particular the sound of Stratovarius.

This will be my first real mod to a guitar and want to make sure I do it right.
I have a little bit of experience with soldering from when I had to rewire my bass.

This is my first post so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread.
All help is greatly appreciated! thanks
Last edited by juliengunning at Aug 19, 2015,
this was insightful for Timo's pickups of choice. Special thanks to the seymour duncan forum.

At first Stratovarius's album he used Dimarzio D-Activator set. Next three albums were recorded with EMG 81 (b. & n.). Then he returned to DiMarzio. Some albums were recorded with DiMarzio Bluesbucker(neck) and Dimarzio Evolution Bridge(brirdge). Now he probably uses a D-Activator set again.

I'd go with the d-activators they sound like emg pickups anyways but more wiring options, no 9v battery and more versatility as I found EMG pickups to be pretty sterile and lifeless. Where as the d-activators I usually think of John 5. However... google and see Timo's ESP guitars to see if say an alder bodied tele will work well with it, i joke with guys all the time putting say james hetfield emg pickups into ibanez or say an all maple godin that james would fly back to california for a new signature set if that was the case as every guitar wood has tenancies to sound this or that way.

but don't forget pedals , amplifier settings and all can be fine tuned to his signature sound. Pickups are what 10-20% of our sound? i guess this numbers subjective for those to quote me. I go as far as different string materials (not brands) and picks myself. But the easiest solution to try first is a fan made preset of your favorite stratovarius songs that may exist on a line 6 or something similar preset
if your running single coils, get some Duncan hot rails
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate