Playing the guitar is something I fell in love with doing and writing music makes it all that much better, and it is something I would really want to do with my life. So is it possible to be a guitarist these days? I am about to be a senior in high school and I really want to be in a band and make music. I was thinking of starting a band in college (looking at schools around the NYC area) and taking it seriously. So does anyone have any advice on how to properly market your band, create fans, and get the attention of labels? Is it possible or am I just wasting my time? Also, money and fame isn't what I am out for. This is something I love to do, and it will make me happy to do it. It would be nice to make a decent amount, which I know at first is hard, and money and fame come over time and is a result of hard work, not something that should just be expected.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give, I'm open to everything, what to do and what not to do, so thanks.
I dont have any experience in a band really
(i made it 3 days once) but i can tell you this.The short answer is yes.
Being a pro guitar player for real is probably not what your thinking it is. I have had friends who played on what i would call a pro level. Being a pro player means basically living in clubs and different venues playing as much as possible, while inbetween try and find time for practice, repair, restock, or acquire equipment. Then the van needs a new transmission (your hands will get bruised and greasy) and with whatevers left you can choose between a life and some sleep. But seriously though thats the reality of 99.9% of people who are "pro" musicians. Star musicians are that .1% that in todays world is hardly achievable by non cartoonish means.

I could be crazy though?
Quote by joe783
So is it possible to be a guitarist these days?

Yep.
Quote by joe783
Is it possible or am I just wasting my time?
Just look at the endless ****ing ocean of bands out there, and now look at how many of them suck. So even if the music you write does suck therell still always be someone who likes it. And if you stick with it long enough than not only is it possible but its actually quite likely that youll atleast become a minor success. And youre still so young, look at all the bands started by people in their 40's or older. Even if you got in an accident today and were in a coma for the next 40 years, youd still have plenty of time.

Tl;dr Don't overthink things, just play what you enjoy and hope for the best
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
didn't you already ask this question?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
didn't you already ask this question?

I've asked on how to start a band in college, this is more about it being possible to make it anywhere with that band. Sorry for the confusion.
Hours of unplanned jam to get the band chem first, and basic mission statement/idea set in stone before you find the rest (play records for each other). Improve morale throughout that time, kick the un-conscientious out, rinse lather repeat
Quote by joe783
I've asked on how to start a band in college, this is more about it being possible to make it anywhere with that band. Sorry for the confusion.

oh, in that case, yes it is possible. Work hard.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

kinda like a female orgasm, yes it is possible but only if you put in a lot of effort and try not to think about it so much.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
kinda like a female orgasm, yes it is possible but only if you put in a lot of effort and try not to think about it so much.

A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by welvendagreat
Leave it to guitarists in 2015 to still be worrying about "making it"

I love playing guitar and writing music, and is something I would LOVE to have a career with. Fame and money aren't as important to me as being happy is.
And thanks to everyone else who has replied so far. Hard work and dedication.
Quote by welvendagreat
Why do you want a label then?

For the money and fame that "doesn't matter".....duh!!!
Quote by joe783
Playing the guitar is something I fell in love with doing and writing music makes it all that much better, and it is something I would really want to do with my life. So is it possible to be a guitarist these days? I am about to be a senior in high school and I really want to be in a band and make music. I was thinking of starting a band in college (looking at schools around the NYC area) and taking it seriously. So does anyone have any advice on how to properly market your band, create fans, and get the attention of labels? Is it possible or am I just wasting my time? Also, money and fame isn't what I am out for. This is something I love to do, and it will make me happy to do it. It would be nice to make a decent amount, which I know at first is hard, and money and fame come over time and is a result of hard work, not something that should just be expected.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give, I'm open to everything, what to do and what not to do, so thanks.

Depends. Some people just do not have the calibre to be famous and thus, no money. If you are ugly but possess great talent in music making, you will get famous. If you are good looking but suck at playing the guitar, you still can be famous. If you are doing something you love, just continue doing it. Spend more money to record your own album, if you have what it takes to be a superstar, many record companies will want to sign you up. It is a realistic world and you may get horrible criticism OR applause. If you think your band is ready, go out and get yourself heard. Many superstar-wannabe will start out 'on a serious mode' but once they are beaten by the cold audience and harsh record managers, they slowly cool down. How many actually make it big ? To be honest, only a few that manage to stand out from the rest. And luck plays an important role as well.

Alright, I would say, enjoy what you are doing but do not pin too much hope on having huge fans and get loads of money, etc ..... be conscious that band members come and go and not many bands really make it in this highly competitive job.
Quote by Harvey Swick

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by earthcosmic2
Depends. Some people just do not have the calibre to be famous and thus, no money. If you are ugly but possess great talent in music making, you will get famous. If you are good looking but suck at playing the guitar, you still can be famous. If you are doing something you love, just continue doing it. Spend more money to record your own album, if you have what it takes to be a superstar, many record companies will want to sign you up. It is a realistic world and you may get horrible criticism OR applause. If you think your band is ready, go out and get yourself heard. Many superstar-wannabe will start out 'on a serious mode' but once they are beaten by the cold audience and harsh record managers, they slowly cool down. How many actually make it big ? To be honest, only a few that manage to stand out from the rest. And luck plays an important role as well.

Alright, I would say, enjoy what you are doing but do not pin too much hope on having huge fans and get loads of money, etc ..... be conscious that band members come and go and not many bands really make it in this highly competitive job.

Part of the trick is learning to take the criticism using it to improve yourself